VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some speculative answers in what could cause this.

09kp. I start up and let it warm up a few minutes. Idles normally. Take of off for a short ride. The bike is running beautifully, no issues of any kind. Ride ten or fifteen minutes and out of nowhere it shuts off. No warnings. Not stumbling... Running great one second then dead the next. Try to start it up, it cranks but no start. Turn it off wait a minute...starts right up, runs perfectly so I start riding again. Again, runs great five tenminutes then dies. Again won't start for a minute then starts and runs normally. This is repeatable with exactly the same outcome.

Battery is new, cranks strong. Triple checked the battery connections and all other connections I can access. I can hear the pump priming each time I turn the key or hit the switch. Tried running a bit with the gas cap loose, no change.

What are the possibilities given these symptoms?
It definitely seems like a fuel issue but not sure what could cause It given the symptoms.
Don't have a fp tester.

Just looking for ideas on what could even cause symptoms like this.

Bad fuel pump? Clogged fuel filter? Pinched vent tube? Clogged tank vent?

What am I not thinking of?

·
Registered
142 Posts
getting spark. The tank looks good inside.
Can you tell if the breaker was tripped by looking at it ?
I remember reading that some of those can be replaced by a common auto part, Im going to try switching it out with the one from my wifes bike tomorrow and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
It’s a cheap enough part and can be found at NAPA. Why take out 2 circuit breakers. Just pick up a new one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If it was a breaker you would not have any power except for stuff that you wired home run to the battery. No fuel pump, lights or starter would work. All that being said, I would change the breaker anyway if your digging into stuff. Jeg's has a nice waterproof one or Napa has one but you should seal it up before install.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking the same thing when I was going to switch it out. No way it could be the breaker because it cranks strong when the issue it's happening and my lights are on

·
Registered
17,909 Posts
Can’t hurt to try and pay attention to step 6:

Priming the Fuel System
If the motorcycle runs out of fuel, prime the fuel system before attempting to restart the engine.
1. Fill the fuel tank.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
3. Move the engine stop/run switch from the STOP position to the RUN position.
4. Allow the fuel pump to run until it stops (about 3 seconds).
5. Move the engine stop/run switch to the STOP position.
6. Wait 10 seconds to allow the engine control module to reset.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 four to five times.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tried that several times -- no change.

I thought I had it solved, I had removed the tank yesterday and my wife noticed that the vent tubes looked like they had been pinched between the tank and some wiring. I moved the wiring and reinstalled the tank. Went for a few short rides yesterday including one ride that lasted about 25 minutes each way with a five minute stop in the middle, a mix of local and highway. The bike ran beautifully throughout the entire time.
Today I went for a few short rides of about twenty minutes each with no issues watsoever.
Then this evening I went for another ride mistly highway and after about fiften minutes the bike died, same symptoms as before.
The scenario is

Start the bike and let it warm up.
Go for a ride, after the initial 15 or 20 minutes the bike dies while actively riding,
There is no warning /stumbling.. it just stops running.
Pull over and try to start the bike -- no good. It cranks but wont catch.
Wait a few minutes, bike starts right up normally and runs normally until next failure.

This is completely repeatable once it dies the first time. I was 20 miles from home and wound up having to restart the bike 5 or 6 times to make it home.
The initial failure takes about twenty minutes but once it goes it only lasts a few miles/minutes until failing again....

I am at a loss as to what can cause these symptoms.

While it wont start it does crank and cranks strong, the lights are on ... this seems to prove that it cannot be the battery, connections, or breaker.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I dont understand is -- what could be changing during the time that I am sitting on the side of the road.
After it dies I coast to the side of the road -- if I try to start it right away it wont start but if I wait 2 or 3 minutes it does start -- every time.

So -- what changes during that time ? I am not waiting long enough for anything to cool down very much.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wonder if it's not the fuel shut off pendulum been faulty ?? that kind of sounds like a problem I had with one of my gold wings. It mostly happened on rough roads, it would shut down and in a few minutes I could start it again. Just a thought.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
has anyone ever heard of an issue like with related to a power commander ?

I guess I have no choice but to start tearing it down ,hoping something becomes obvious.
The problem is I have to drive it 25 minutes each time because it doesnt happen until I have driven that long and doesnt always happen even after riding 40 minutes.

Anyone ever heard of similar issues related to a power commander ? The bike does have a recently installed pcv, I guess that will be the first thing I remove, although I dont see how or why it would be heat/time sensitive.

What are the possibilites
Pinched vent tubes --- tried riding with the cap very loose -- still happened
Fuel line pinched --- verified it is not pinched, removed it and blew through it , no obstructions.
Ness gas cap recently installed -- tried riding with the cap very loose -- still happened
regulator --- the bike cranks fine even when it is not starting
power commander --- why would it not happen until after a 25 minute ride/ why would it work after sitting a few minutes on the side of the road.
Ignition -- why would it start to work after sitting on the side of the road for only a minute or two and continue to behave that way, repeatable.
Fuel pump -- never heard of these symptoms related to pump failure.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.