VOG Forum banner

Weird CODE Gauges Not Working

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  tree1979 
#1 ·
Ok I just changed out my battery due to dead cell after 3 years. I installed new battery and bike cranks up and runs normally. The thing is I now I have a "CODE" listed and gauges do not work but bike runs fine. Display still shows which gear you are in when you ride it. Yes I made sure the cables are connected correctly. HI have attached picture of code. I dropped bike off at the dealership. They called me yesterday to tell me that they are pretty sure it is the cluster gauge display that needs to be replaced. (Part # 3280544). which is $700. Ipod adapter in saddlebag still works great as well. Bike is 3 years old with 6800 miles and garaged kept. Damn Murphy's Law. Has anyone else had this problem with the cluster gauge display? This is a 2014 XC 8-Ball.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have a full grasp of your situation yet, but I'm curious if you can pull the actual codes and report those. From the manual (pulled from another forum for expediency):

1. If the error codes are not displayed, use the mode button to toggle until "Ck ENG" displays on the main line of the display.
2. Press and hold the mode button to enter the diagnostics code menu.
3. Record the three numbers displayed in the gear position, clock and odometer displays.
4. Press and release the mode button to advance to the next error code.
5. Press and hold the mode button to exit the diagnostics code menu.

If you CAN get these actual codes, then I can look them up and give you a description. These kinds of issues are all about collecting all the clues possible, then acting all Sherlock on them.

Edit: Errr... You took it to the dealer. Sorry, not sure how I missed that. BUT the info above is still, maybe, helpful to someone.

#4 ·
Was it "|Idle Air Control (IAC) circuit or IAC motor shorted to ground" or "Idle Air Control (IAC) circuit or IAC motor open or shorted to battery voltage"?

'Cause you mentioned swapping the battery out. Were it me, I'd clear out the code (Maximus, Centurion, or DigitalWrench can do this) and see if it came back. If it comes back, then you dive in and expect it to cost some $$. Otherwise, it's just the control modules telling you "bad stuff happened and you should know about them, I will warn you until you acknowledge me".

#14 ·
There was a guy on Facebook, believe it was Dave Meyers that had tinkered around with adding mileage to odometers. He rebuilds totaled bikes and has the replace instrument clusters, so wanted to get the correct mileage on the bikes when he replaced the cluster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.