VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a lift for carrying my bike on the back of my fifth wheel holiday trailer and I'm kind of curious as to the exact weight of the Kingpin Tour. I've seen weights on line ranging from 654 lbs to 850 lbs. Has anyone actually taken the time to get an actual curb weight of their bike?

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
I put mine on a truck scale after stripping it down of everything I could. I can't recall if it was 640 or 660, it looked like that scale rounds off to the nearest 20lbs. I'd say a full Kingpin Tour is very close to 700, maybe a little more.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
From the service manual. Will vary depending on how much fuel you have and if you have anything stored in the bags/trunk. This matches closely to what Bob's numbers were.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

Reactions: iabob

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
From the service manual. Will vary depending on how much fuel you have and if you have anything stored in the bags/trunk. This matches closely to what Bob's numbers were.

View attachment 517559
685 lbs for the Kingpin...and Kingpin Tour? Lol, you know where I'm going to go. Passenger floorboards, saddle bags, bigger passenger seat, trunk with mount, windshield, lowers, and brackets. I'm thinking from my experiment 685 is a standard Kingpin, all the Tour bits gotta equal 15-20 lbs, probably more right?

Reactions: tree1979

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
685 for kingpin.

764 for kingpin tour

Reactions: jedi-mcfly

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. 764 lbs for my Kingpin Tour and 250 lbs for the weight of the lift works out that with the bike loaded I am removing 800 lbs from my pin weight. The truck/trailer handles terrible with the bike loaded. This doesn't surprise me but having an idea of the actual weight of my bike helps me calculate how far back I need to move the trailer axles to regain towing stability with the bike loaded, without overloading my truck when the bike is not loaded...... 18" works out to be the magical number.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
685 lbs for the Kingpin...and Kingpin Tour? Lol, you know where I'm going to go. Passenger floorboards, saddle bags, bigger passenger seat, trunk with mount, windshield, lowers, and brackets. I'm thinking from my experiment 685 is a standard Kingpin, all the Tour bits gotta equal 15-20 lbs, probably more right?
Shows the tour as 764. I think that is a little on the high side. But then again it probably includes saddle bags, trunk passenger seat and pegs, and windshield.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends on each state.
BC won't allow double towing. Having a second trailer in tow creates a bit of a problem at campgrounds as well. On the other hand I have towed my enclosed motorcycle trailer behind my fiver and it is a wonderful. The bike stays safe, secure and clean.
Here is a picture of my bike on the lift:

And a video of a test run:

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
BC won't allow double towing. Having a second trailer in tow creates a bit of a problem at campgrounds as well. On the other hand I have towed my enclosed motorcycle trailer behind my fiver and it is a wonderful. The bike stays safe, secure and clean.
Here is a picture of my bike on the lift:

And a video of a test run:
Weight that far back is bad....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Weight that far back is bad....

That's kind of a cool video and that is about the way my fiver towed before adding 300 lbs of counterweight in the way of 5 gallon buckets of gravel in the bedroom closet. With 300 lbs in the closet it tows ok. I plan on moving the axles back 18 inches and removing the gravel from the closet. Moving the axles back will add 1000 lbs to the pin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.