VOG Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks looking for a little help had the Steering head bearing changed manual said too:
Turn lower clamp fully right against steering stop and torque
stem nut to 29.0 ft-lbs (39.3 Nm).
Turn steering assembly fully left and back to full right 5 times.
[§J Turn lower clamp fully left against stop.
[1J Place a mark or tape on frame, in direct alignment with one of the slots of the adjuster nut.
Loosen adjuster nut 90 degrees (a new slot of nut should now be aligned with the mark or tape placed on the frame in Step 6).

All that was done now there is a weave and wonder at around 80 kph under trouble shooting the manual it says
Steering Stem Nut Over Tightened or Under Tightened
Torque to specification

would anyone know if this is more of a over tightened problem ? i

Thanks for ther help!!

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I think if you have already 'felt' a steering head bearing that is too loose or too tight you could figure it out.. but it's really hard to describe how it feels to someone else. One easy peasy way to check is to jack up the front of the bike so the wheel is off the ground and see how much flop you have in the front end. The wheel should hold dead center without help. When you start it moving to one side or the other it should take a little bit of input to get it started moving, then it should move till it hits the stop but it should not bounce off it. If you have to push it all the way to the stop it's too tight. If it flops over and bounces over and over again against the stop it's too loose. I know that's not very scientific, but it's a shade-tree mechanic way of checking it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.