VOG Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know this is off topic but we all use the roads and pay taxes, so I have a gripe. In the Orlando area the FDOT has put up all these electronic signs and has installed variable LED speed limit signs. The electronic ones are very large and usually say 15 minutes to such and such. My beef with this is who decided we needed them? Now I only speak for Orlando but the signs don't ever seem to be close. I was driving in this morning and the sign in Sanford say 15 minutes to Route 50 which is 14 miles away. I'm no rocket scientist but even I know you are not going to make it 14 miles in rush our traffic. The other thing I notice is that it mostly compares the travel time against the toll road and have seen it say 90 minutes to Route 27 via I-4 and 50 minutes via the toll road. The other day I got on the toll road because I was late and wound up in worse traffic because of an accident, when I got on the toll road the next sign told about the accident but it was already to late. Now in Orlando they have these variable speed limit signs that range from 35mph – 50mph, there are four of these signs. The big electronic signs warn you that the speed limit is going to change but don't tell you to what so you have to look for these four little 2' x 3' electronic signs that you can't read if the sun is hitting them. Now I don't know about you but when I am driving in rush hour in 5 lanes of traffic I have a bad habit of keeping my eyes on the road. Wouldn't it be easier to put the speed limit on these huge 12' signs? My last gripe on this topic (back to the big signs) is that they always tell you to call 511 for traveler information? Must people in this area shouldn't be driving never the less getting on a cell phone for info when they don't know where they are going! In our area we have a hard enough time financing the school system but we can spend millions on these signs, a traveler information thing and cameras on the roads. When do we get to start voting on these people wasting our tax dollars? It's one thing if a politician spends our money, we can vote them out but we have no recourse but to accept the decision of the FDOT with our hard earned money. Well I'm done venting...

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right, just teed me off this morning looking at these signs and camaras pointed at the ground while I am listening to talk radio and they're talking about cutting sports out of the schools because they have no money in the budget.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
While I live just three hours South of you DSJR, I haven't seen the variable speed limit signs...yet. But our fine State recently installed these HUGE overhead signs in my neck of the woods that deliver Amber and Stolen Car Alerts. Sometimes they post upcoming detours, accidents and future road maintenance times.

While Florida gets the honor of having one of the worst housing markets in the country and since we don't have a State Income Tax the lion's share of the States operating funds come from our overpriced Property Taxes (when I say overpriced, I'm not joking). I cringe when the State announces they will be cutting services/jobs and freezing the pay of some very hard working folks and then they go out and spend millions on these things.

Government Waste?

I will say that I really enjoy the new, stick-on Sunpass toll payment stickers. These new Sunpass devices don't require batteries, and simply stick on the windshield like a sticker. If someone tries to steal it, just removing it breaks the circuit and it's unusable. The only problem is they WON'T work on an acrylic motorcycle windshield as it uses a car's glass windshield to act as an antenna. Okay, they ALMOST got that one right!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.