1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been getting razzed

1. For buying a bike with 76k

2. For them being out of business

I'm just curious if they are just Jealous or maybe kind of right..
Mind you I was limited on funds and still wanted American Made and something my wife could feel comfortable on.

I have all records of service in 3 folders since new. It has a Brand new belt,clutch cable,Throttle bodies, K&N air filter,Fresh oil change etc. The bike has been well serviced since new. I'm the third owner

I see no history of clutch replacement nor engine rebuild.

I'm just curious if any of you would have purchased for such a price.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think a lot of it is what you want in a bike. A basic KP may be worth so much, but if you would add the spoke wheels, pipes, fairing, speakers, stereo, bags, trunk, and any other mods that may be on there, those are worth something if you would do that to a stock KP to make it yours. Plus, like you say, it has all the records, taken care of, and if it hasn't been abused or wrecked, that's worth something as well.

My old '02 TCD for example. it's really not worth much as far as a basic bike. But to me, with the fairing and windshield, engine work, billet wheels, mustang seat and a number of other mods..worth way more to me as I've made it MY bike. No way could I buy a basic TC and do all those mods for $3700. And yes, it's a heck of a lot of fun to ride.

I live around the lake...maybe we'll run across one another one of these days.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
It all depends on you. You obviously thought it was a good buy. I don't think you have any transmission issues to worry about like you would have with early Victorys. If you're planning on touring another 150K on the bike, then you may have some issues in the future. If you're planning on putting 6K per year on the bike, you should expect it to make it another 6 years or so without major issues if the bike is in good condition now.

It's your money, and your bike that you wanted as a part of your life. I don't see that the opinion of anyone else should matter.

Best wishes and good luck!

By the way, I LOVE the green accents! It's a sharp looking ride in my eyes.

Reactions: Sanecrazy12

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't have. In today's market I would have found a kingpin that got about 3k miles per year. So if '04, then between 35k to 39k miles for around $4k.

For example:
This one has 20k miles for $4,499...
2004 Victory Motorcycles KINGPIN

Or this one with 20k miles for $4k....
2004 victory kingpin

Sorry brother, not me!!!
I know there was other bikes at around 4-5 with lower miles, however I was wanting a full fairing with radio and hard bags and a trunk.. I really wanted the wife to feel comfortable with a nice backrest as we plan to ride from Mo. to Colorado this spring.

The only other thing I seen in my price range was a Valkyrie that was completely satin blacked out.. That or Goldwings and I was not buying a Goldwing.. Nothing against them just not my style.. I really have always liked the Kingpin and American Made.

From all I can see and receipts back in 15 the original owner had spent well in excess of 2500 on having the Woc Fairing, Bluetooth stereo,hard bags and trunk installed .Not to mention the costs of the crash bars, highway pegs,rear floor boards, aftermarket running lights,blinkers,Kingpin Primary/Engine cover etc. etc.

The bike has been well thought out for touring and nothing in the area came close to what I wanted with limited funds.

Sorry guess I'm trying to make myself feel better on the purchase lol

As long as the engine/tranny holds up I will feel ok about it.. I'm sure getting a razzing from some Harley guys though!!

My buddy I have known since 6 does have a Custom Bike shop in St Louis.. So I'm sure he will help when in need

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It all depends on you. You obviously thought it was a good buy. I don't think you have any transmission issues to worry about like you would have with early Victorys. If you're planning on touring another 150K on the bike, then you may have some issues in the future. If you're planning on putting 6K per year on the bike, you should expect it to make it another 6 years or so without major issues if the bike is in good condition now.

It's your money, and your bike that you wanted as a part of your life. I don't see that the opinion of anyone else should matter.

Best wishes and good luck!

By the way, I LOVE the green accents! It's a sharp looking ride in my eyes.
Green is my wife's favorite color!! The bike does have full green led engine lights that strobe also lol..

You are right, it's my bike and nothing else matters.. It had everything I needed on a budget to tour with my wife.. I am getting a razzing from the Harley guys but I guess that's par for the course!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a lot of it is what you want in a bike. A basic KP may be worth so much, but if you would add the spoke wheels, pipes, fairing, speakers, stereo, bags, trunk, and any other mods that may be on there, those are worth something if you would do that to a stock KP to make it yours. Plus, like you say, it has all the records, taken care of, and if it hasn't been abused or wrecked, that's worth something as well.

My old '02 TCD for example. it's really not worth much as far as a basic bike. But to me, with the fairing and windshield, engine work, billet wheels, mustang seat and a number of other mods..worth way more to me as I've made it MY bike. No way could I buy a basic TC and do all those mods for $3700. And yes, it's a heck of a lot of fun to ride.

I live around the lake...maybe we'll run across one another one of these days.
Would love to find some Victory riders to cruise with!! Maybe then we could razz the Harley guys like they razz me haha

You are right about the aftermarket goodies.. In 15 alone there was probably more spent on it than I gave not to mention a brand spankin new belt lol .. The guy knew he had me over a barrel on Feb 15th when I came to look at it!!

77 degrees in February in Missouri?? He knew he had it sold!! I put 150 miles in without a hiccup

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah, well, I ran across a guy with an HD with those amount of miles on it out in Utah. His had been rebuilt 3 times already. No joke! Of course there are HD"s that run 100 k or over.

I had a couple HD buddies give me grief...until I rolled on the throttle and left them in the rearview. And then kept them in the rear view with the better handling when the roads get crooked. Gotta spend some serious cash on an HD to stay up with a slighty modified vic. My one buddy had a Jim's 120. It was worthless below 3700 rpm with the wild cams he had and he couldn't outrun the old TC. He had 5 more HP and I had 5 more toque. Maybe they are just jealous. LOL! Plus it doesn't shake like a paint mixer at a stop sign.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Green is my wife's favorite color!! The bike does have full green led engine lights that strobe also lol..

You are right, it's my bike and nothing else matters.. It had everything I needed on a budget to tour with my wife.. I am getting a razzing from the Harley guys but I guess that's par for the course!!

A good dependable bike that you and your wife really enjoy riding together? Priceless !!! Have fun.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
I know there was other bikes at around 4-5 with lower miles, however I was wanting a full fairing with radio and hard bags and a trunk.. I really wanted the wife to feel comfortable with a nice backrest as we plan to ride from Mo. to Colorado this spring.

The only other thing I seen in my price range was a Valkyrie that was completely satin blacked out.. That or Goldwings and I was not buying a Goldwing.. Nothing against them just not my style.. I really have always liked the Kingpin and American Made.

From all I can see and receipts back in 15 the original owner had spent well in excess of 2500 on having the Woc Fairing, Bluetooth stereo,hard bags and trunk installed .Not to mention the costs of the crash bars, highway pegs,rear floor boards, aftermarket running lights,blinkers,Kingpin Primary/Engine cover etc. etc.

The bike has been well thought out for touring and nothing in the area came close to what I wanted with limited funds.

As long as the engine/tranny holds up I will feel ok about it.. I'm sure getting a razzing from some Harley guys though!!

My buddy I have known since 6 does have a Custom Bike shop in St Louis.. So I'm sure he will help when in need
It sounds to me that the bike has the aftermarket goodies you want and the engine should be good for many more miles. To me that makes it a good buy.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
With the extras you wanted that aren't cheap; you did okay. If it was a Harley I'd say you would soon be looking at a complete $6k rebuild not including transmission. I wouldn't sweat the folks who give you a hard time for buying a brand not made anymore. I bet there will be plenty of Vic's on the road going strong 30, 40, even 50 years from now (if gasoline is still available).

At some point people will buy a second parts bike to keep one going but that's okay too. It will become a point of great pride to have and ride a Victory when the rest of the crowd is riding something that looks like every other bike in the parking lot. Oh wait; it already is. :)

Riding something 90% of the crowd isn't; priceless. Anyone can ride a Harley; they are a dime a dozen where I live.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the extras you wanted that aren't cheap; you did okay. If it was a Harley I'd say you would soon be looking at a complete $6k rebuild not including transmission. I wouldn't sweat the folks who give you a hard time for buying a brand not made anymore. I bet there will plenty of Vic's on the road going strong 30, 40, even 50 years from now (if gasoline is still available).

At some point people will buy a second parts bike to keep one going but that's okay too. It will become a point of great pride to have and ride a Victory when the rest of the crowd is riding something that looks like every other bike in the parking lot. Oh wait; it already is. :)

Riding something 90% of the crowd isn't; priceless. Anyone can ride a Harley; they are a dime a dozen where I live.
Yeah I seen one wrecked for 1700 somewhere., Need to find it again and do some wheeling and dealing so I have a parts bike.. I do love the lines of Victory bikes. In my opinion, the most beautiful factory bagger/touring bikes ever made by far. The 18 CVO Street Glide still looks like its cobbled together from 80s parts .. Bags,Tank, Seat etc. Then you look at the Cory Ness Custom Baggers and wonder how the hell Harleyever sold a bagger lol .. Cory and Arlen have created the most beautiful custom from the factory bikes I have ever seen!!!

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Vic's are well documented to last 150-200k miles. This one is clearly well maintained. So where else can you find that much bike for 3700? Of course you did well. And of course your friends will razz you. Unless you make the exact same choice they did that's what friends always do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vic's are well documented to last 150-200k miles. This one is clearly well maintained. So where else can you find that much bike for 3700? Of course you did well. And of course your friends will razz you. Unless you make the exact same choice they did that's what friends always do.
One of the guys razzing me paid 5200 for a 2000 Super Glide bare naked so I do not take his razzing at all!! I just look at him and cock my head sideways lol

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

You asked, I gave you my opinion. I agree with everything else that has been said. If it was a good buy for you, it doesn't matter what I think. If you need my confirmation that you made a good decision, that's another story.

Enjoy your bike!

·
Registered
233 Posts
If all of your purchases are dictated by someone else’s opinion rather than your own rational thoughts and knowing what you like, want, need and finances dictate then you will never be happy. I spent over a year researching, test riding bikes until I finally rode the oddball Vision from the dead Vic brand. I never care about what anyone else has to say. I bought the bike that fit me, my budget and my priorities and good luck in trying to replace it. My typical weekend of riding usually consist of 4-600 miles of wandering back country and I couldn’t be happier in my decision. You have to do what’s right for you and luckily I’ve stumbled across the great people here to help me along the way. Safe travels to you and the wife on you KP!

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I think you could have negotiated a better deal on the bike you chose, but that's how we learn plus I agree that if it's the one you really wanted then to hell with the nay sayers. I've never seen that combination of touring goodies on one Kingpin. Looks Iron butt ready!

·
Registered
163 Posts
You got an awesome looking bike for a price you could afford . That's all that counts ,open up the throttle the next time your hanging out with them, they'll change there tune I'm sure.
good luck with your piece of history ,

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.