VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the state of the economy has finally made it to my back door. No big deal really but it maymean more riding time for me and cheaper brands of beer.
The world just isn't consuming nickel like it was a few months ago so we are getting picked off as I speak. Lots of good people leaving here for good. Fortunately if I'm selected I will go with a good pension,I wish that was the case for everyone else here. But enough of the gloomy stuff.
Theweatherman said we are looking to a warmer than usual April, May, and June. This is good because it will take a lot of heat to melt off the 30% more snow than normal accumulation we have here in the north. If I'm gonna have more riding time on my hands then I want to get started as soon as I can.
I better leave this a short note because I'm scheduled to go meet with management in a few minutes where Iwill find out if I get to sleep in tomorrow or not.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Be happy in knowing you already have your ride. Those of us that are waiting to get ours are jelous.
My biz is down 80% In fact my phone didnt ring at all yesterday or today. Cleaning the house and catching up on things around here.
Watching the market today is making me dizzy, lol
Good luck in your meeting.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts

Tough times, I feel for you, but slightly jealous knowing you'll have lots of riding time.
Best of luck, might see you on the island, can't seem to bring myself to doing the crossing. Last year coming back from Montana, I crossed at the SOO, and thought about going to South Baymouth instead of riding around Georgian Bay. Just didn't like the idea of sitting around when I could be riding. Winters are long, summers too short.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm glad that to hear that you planned ahead, and thatyou're prepared for whatevermay lieahead. Good luck to you at your meeting...Spring is right around the corner! Hang in there.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well that's it, my meeting withmy managerwent pretty much as I expected and so my last day of work after 35 years in the Nickel Industry will be Friday. Yahooo !!!
It's hard to believe. This morning when I woke up for workit was -35 C outside. After Friday I won't have to do that anymore. I can grow a beard again, finally. I can get up and take a ride to see my grandchild in Ottawa when ever I want without having to plan for long weekendstrying to fit visits into my work schedule. I can go fishing during the week when everyone else will have to wait for the weekend. Hell, I still haven't thought of all the things I can do now that I don't have to worry about going to work. Obviously this retirement caught me by surprise because it's 2 years ahead of my plans but it's great. I mean I kind of figured but didn't really believe I would get this lucky.
Bring on the sunshine, melt that snow, and clear the roads I'm coming through. The last time I felt this kind of freedom I was 17 years old riding a brand new 360 Yamaha Enduro. Wahooo !!! Now I'm over 50, I have a Vision (in more than 1 sense of the word) and a wife and low and behold I even have money in my pocket. Life is great.
Looking forward to seeing you all out there, soon.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Nepper said:
Well that's it, my meeting withmy managerwent pretty much as I expected and so my last day of work after 35 years in the Nickel Industry will be Friday. Yahooo !!!
It's hard to believe. This morning when I woke up for workit was -35 C outside. After Friday I won't have to do that anymore. I can grow a beard again, finally. I can get up and take a ride to see my grandchild in Ottawa when ever I want without having to plan for long weekendstrying to fit visits into my work schedule. I can go fishing during the week when everyone else will have to wait for the weekend. Hell, I still haven't thought of all the things I can do now that I don't have to worry about going to work. Obviously this retirement caught me by surprise because it's 2 years ahead of my plans but it's great. I mean I kind of figured but didn't really believe I would get this lucky.
Bring on the sunshine, melt that snow, and clear the roads I'm coming through. The last time I felt this kind of freedom I was 17 years old riding a brand new 360 Yamaha Enduro. Wahooo !!! Now I'm over 50, I have a Vision (in more than 1 sense of the word) and a wife and low and behold I even have money in my pocket. Life is great.
Looking forward to seeing you all out there, soon.
Good for you! If you are ever down Kincardine way, I'll have to give you a fishing lesson. LOL

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
OneThumb said:
US Steel in Hamilton announces today they are shutting down, temporarily, with no start up date.
Heard that on tonight's news, real tough of people. I can start seeing the shift from a manufacturing economy to a service. Where the big demand heading is towards looking after the elderly, nurses, home care, cleaning and maintenance services, etc. But the problem is these service providing jobs are not as well paying, putting a tighter squeeze on the economy.

Wasn't it Henry Ford that saw that in order to increase sales, he had to put more money in his worker's hands (read Big Wage Increases) so that they would have more disposable income to buys cars, new houses, etc. Not fattening the wallets of a couple high level executives, with big year end bonuses.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Sorry about your job, but like what others said, it's good you planned ahead. You have a great attitude and as I've always been taught, "Attitude Determines Altitude." Good Luck and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Anyone want to adopt me?
I got the blond pouty lip thing going on about work or should I say, lack of it.
I so hate to whine but damn it this is all FUBARED UP. So far keeping above board on rent and the bike but that's it....barely.
My fishing boat wasrepoed last week, truck is going soon. At least they have to feed you and put a roof over your head in debtors prison. I think!
The good news is, I have worked on almost every bridge and road around here at one time or another so know which ones are good. I have a good line on some cardboard boxes. Jim Liston is sending Magic Markers so I can decorate, and Patti has some old silk flowers so I can landscape.
Look out. I may be becoming America's Favorite Houseguest real soon.
GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!!!
At least I still have my sense of humor even though my sanity is about gone.
BTW Ya hear that Polaris & Bobcat are pairing up? I'm hoping I can get in a skid steer class from the union hall and gonna pimp them both for a job! I'd make a great spokesperson!!! Besides the Bobcats are in the Laborer's jurisdiction!!
I got laid off in October of 2008. Good thing is supposedly will have same job back in May!!!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
You should move here to Chicago, seems like they are always digging up the hyways around here. We have two seasons here, Winter, and Construction !

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Don't get me wrong Andy, I'm happy tobe going and they are treating me right.I'll admit I was ready to stay for a couple of more years and I would have prefered that but they gave me a pretty decent package for 35 years service so I'm not hurting. I'm still going to get full pay for the next18 months and I take away a chunk of change for vacation days I could nevertake. I know it's our right to stay as long as we want but I really would have felt guilty if I had been allowed to stay and a younger person would have been let go. So, been there, done that and I stole a T shirt. :eek:)
Now it just a matter of getting used to living on a fixed income. I've never been here before.
For those who are struggling through this economic down turn I wish you the best. Hang in there and don't give up hope.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
It seems that nobody is immune to what's going on these days.

I spoke to a banker today who told me that the bank's employees 401K Plans are basically non-existent. This particular bank did NOT offer subprime mortgages and was doing "clean" loans and offers standard banking services. However, whoever was handing the 401K's for the employees was just like the rest of us in that he/she/they did not see this storm coming.

Nepper, it sounds like you got lucky in that you received a nice retirement package as well as full pay for a while. Also, knowing that you could have stayed, but opted to allow one of the younger employees to keep his/her job is a noble move.

Watch your expenses to stay within your new fixed income. And, enjoy your newfound riding time. Best of luck to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.