VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike an 08 vegas low and my eng light has been coming on and going off randomly so I did the key trick and got code 31 so volts are low or high I check the battery with bike off its like 12.4 running at idle is like 14.8 and when i give it gas it jumps to over 18volts but sometimes it wont do that sometimes it will idle at 14.3 or so and only go to around 14.8 when i give it gas

The battey conections are tight and the wireing is fine my guess is voltage regulator but just want a second opinion as well as what regulator is recommended I've found 2 that look ok pictures included

·
Registered
397 Posts
Bike an 08 vegas low and my eng light has been coming on and going off randomly so I did the key trick and got code 31 so volts are low or high I check the battery with bike off its like 12.4 running at idle is like 14.8 and when i give it gas it jumps to over 18volts but sometimes it wont do that sometimes it will idle at 14.3 or so and only go to around 14.8 when i give it gas

The battey conections are tight and the wireing is fine my guess is voltage regulator but just want a second opinion as well as what regulator is recommended I've found 2 that look ok pictures included
I have never known a voltage regulator to charge at over 18 volts. If it stays at this voltage it will damage the battery.

Was the 12.4 volt reading with the bike off made after the bike set for 24 hours or so or just after running the bike? To get the true rest voltage of a battery it must have been at rest for at least 24 hours or more. A fully charged battery will be approx. 12.7 volts at rest. 12.4 volts at rest is approx. 60% full.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did all the tests in the service manual and voltage regulator is showing to be bad stator tested good as well as battery so what is my best most reliable regulator I can get for her

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.