VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Vision Owners.... you've ridden quite a few bikes, what made you settle on the Vision, other than it's a Victory? Did you like any of the HD models you've ridden/owned? I've ridden my brothers '08 Ultra-Classic, and the vibration at idle and above drove me nuts. Can't stand a bike that just shakes at idle, makes my hands go numb!! What's your take?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

I bought my Vision for two up riding. I love my Triumph America for solo but it is to small for two. I tried several test rides prior to making my purchase. I rode the Triumph Triple and was not happy with leg room. I took out a Road King and the leg issue was the same.
When I sat on the Vision my legs were very happy when I rode the Vision I was sold .The fact that ithandles like a much smaller bike impressed me.
The stereo ,cruise control, heated seats ,grips and even the windshield were all new to me and I have become spoiled. If it is cool out I take the Vision.
I hit a deer with my Vision the damage to the bike was cosmetic I don't think it would have been the same on my America.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
When I first saw the Vision unveiled on CNBC during the NY Bike show two years ago, it immediately caught my attention. I sold my last two bikes four years before that point as I was living in an area that wasn't very bike friendly. I had moved and was considering getting back into riding and wasn't sure the type of bike that I wanted. I knew that I wanted a bike that was great for touring as well as easy to maneuver around town.

During the CNBC report, it was stated that it had a 26.5" seat height and being vertically challenged, that point alone captured my attention. When I had my Goldwing, while I enjoyed it for touring, when stopped, I could not have both feet on the ground...so that was an important feature. My Road King was a bit lower and I liked that feature, but on the highway, it wasn't as stable or feature-loaded as the GW.

That same day, I called the Victory dealer and asked to be notified when it came it. A few months later, I received the call. I was getting ready to move and the timing wasn't right for me. A couple of months later, I called the dealer and setup an appointment.

When I took the test ride, I have to admit that just backing it out of the parking space and slowly maneuvering it through the parking lot, didn't win me over. It felt bulky. But, as soon as I got on the street, I knew immediately that this bike was different from any other that I've owned or ridden.

At that point I was unfamiliar with Victory and with my new product background, I knew I was gambling by purchasing a first generation product. But the bike handled so well, I decided to take a gamble.

As with any product, there's never a "perfect product." But this bike is as close as it gets for the type of ride I was seeking. I'm not what you consider a mechanic, so reliability was important to me.

As other Vision owners have learned, there have been a couple of recalls and some minor annoyances that are part of being an early adopter. I will say that like some other riders, Victory Customer Service could be a bit better and I can only hope that during this economic downturn they are taking the time to addresses this issue to make ownership a more pleasant experience. Also, just like buying a car or any consumer product, not all dealers are created equally. While I like my dealer and have a good relationship, any repair that requires a factory approval seems to take much longer than I would expect. I can only hope this will get better over time.

It seems that many times the dealers are kept in the dark and on a few occasions, I had to inform them of specific items that needed to be addressed. My information came from reading the forum threads and you would think that by now, these communication issues would have been addressed by the factory.

With all that said, I'm very happy with my bike. For the type of riding I enjoy, it's perfect for me.

To address your question, I don't experience the vibration on this bike like I did on the three H-D's I owned. I'm not an H-D basher as they do make a great bike. I will not rule out buying an H-D in the future if they happen to introduce a bike that fits my needs. I'm not one who is "brand conscience" and I truly don't care what name is marked on a bike. I enjoy riding and at this stage in my life and when compared to other bikes in this category, the Vision has turned out to be a great choice for me.

The weather today is brisk by Florida standards and the temps may hit 70-degrees today. So, I hope to get in some seat time today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Some good replies, so far. But, I'd like to add my two cents. I don't own a Vision, but I do own a Kingpin, and I'll try to let everyone know why I chose that model, and bike in general.
I first starting riding dirt bikes, and slowly graduated up to small cruisers. My first cruiser was a 2000 model Honda Aero 1100. I saw it on Ebay, and instantly wanted the bike. Hadn't ridden any Honda bikes at all, other than years ago, an old 360 Enduro. This was tan with black accents, looked a little retro with white wall tires, and the previous owner had installed Cobra's, and some leather saddlebags. Beautiful bike. Make a long story short, bought it from a dealership in PA, had it shipped to my house in Wichita, Ks. Nice bike. Sounded good, but out on the highway, was short-winded. At 60 or 65, I felt like it was out-of-breath, no power left. Plus, it always felt heavy in the front end, probably because it was water-cooled.
Then one day, the wife and I decided to go to the Tornado Rally, put on by Big Dog Motorcycles in Wichita. Victory Motorcycles had a presence there, dealership from Topeka. I looked at the '05 Kingpin, Vegas, and I believe Hammer. Can't remember much about any of the other models, except for the Kingpin. That bike caught my eye. I'm height challenged, so any low seat height catches my eye. Also, the looks of the bike just reeked MASCULINE, FAST, CURVY, FAST, HEADY, FAST...... did I mention fast? It didn't look like anything else around, and that what was really catching my interest. I'm not a total HD basher, but I get so tired of seeing so many HD's around, makes me really sick. I like change, being different, and the Victory line looked like something I could ride and feel proud doing it.
The wife and I drove to Topeka to take a test ride on an '05 Kingpin. Seat height was wonderful, both feet on the ground!! But, didn't like the annoying clatter of the engine, and the clunk of the tranny. After riding, the salesman told me that the company addressed those issues on the '06 models, and that the Kingpin would have a larger engine, with 6-speed OD tranny. I was excited!
So, started looking for a used one, since I couldn't afford a new one. Went on Ebay and looked and looked and then looked some more. Did I mention that I looked on Ebay? Anyway, found one in Kentucky, bought a trailer, drove out to Kentucky, bought it, loaded it up on the trailer and brought that black beauty home! I sold my Honda shortly thereafter to a fellow worker. I've never looked back at any other brand, or model. It fits my needs, and the wife and I love traveling on it.
In conclusion, I've ridden the V-rod and the '08 Ultra-Classic from HD. Have ridden a couple of Honda's since purchasing my Kingpin too...... none measure up. The Ultra was a vibrating hunk of old styled loudness, the V-rod was fast, but uncomfortable for 2-up riding, and the Honda's were just not where I wanted to be. So...... I'm comfortable and very satisfied with Victory, and my Kingpin.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Had a 1988 softtail custom, evo, nice ride, not so soft on the tail... sold it, bought a 1970FLH electraglide, shovelhead, loved it, rebuilt it from the ground up,classic HD, let her go, went shopping for a road king, stopped by the vic dealer, end of story...my be the last american V-twinI ever own.15,000 klms and counting.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Let me start off that I didn't "settle" for the Vision. I rode everything out there. Every big Harley, the Triumph Rocket, etc. The harleys seemed to me to be a bit bland.I started off thinking a harley was going to be my next bike. When it came down to it, it just didnt' stack up.
I really liked the Rocket. I thought that would be the bike. I had heard of the Vision and wanted to ride it. As luck would have it, in Las Vegas the Ness Victory store is just a couple of minutes from the Triumph dealer. I rode the rocket, then went to Ness. After riding the Vision, there was no comparison.
The Vision was not quite as fast,but it was SO much more refined. The size scared me, but once underway, riding it felt like I was part of it. I bought it that day.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

OMG! LIke I need more room to haul more stuff around with! LOLOL
I LOVE the Visions, don't get me wrong. I will NEVER be riding 2-up.
But...for me, my KP does the job! Sporty, stylish and will carry everything I need to take with me. I never take my bags off. I use my bike as a work bike, grocery bike and best of all a real touring bike!
Anyone who says the KP stock bags don't hold enough is hauling around way too much junk.
I've gone on more than one multi day trip and never once HAD to do laundry. 12 day ride over Thanksgiving I did laundry once and still had enough clean clothes for each day! AND I'M A GIRL!!! haha
Love it at the gas stations when people comment on the fact I must beon a trip. Hellya I'm on a trip! never know where I'm headed, even with my GPS. ;) I've started more than one day ride and ended up 4 or 5 days gone.
The TC/SC, in 05 when I first found Victory, was just too big & clunky for me. (I was a rather new rider~6 months 18K miles) My KP was & still is at times HUGE! I knew I needed bags to cary clothing, etc in as I live in an area where temps can fluctuate as much as 100 degrees in ONE day! I'm pretty practical.
When I saw my KP up on that pedestal at the Arlen Ness Shop when I walked in the door I froze in my footsteps. I was OMGGGGGG I want THAT bike. Well I still have THAT bike and it serves me well. I even gaveFshuz a once over with some Protect All this morning. It always looks clean when I'm riding!!!
Vrooom Vroooom Ride on my Vicster Friends!!! Never leave home without .....

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Syd I would love to check out the view and comfort of the rear seat on my Vision if you were piloting.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

LOL That'll be the day. I've never even ridden 2 up let alone hauled around a pillion.
I've sat on the Vision, but if truth be known, I'm askeeered of riding it. That and any other bike to be honest. SHHHH don't tell anyone.
But thanks for the vote of confidence LOLOL

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
FishWitch said:
LOL That'll be the day. I've never even ridden 2 up let alone hauled around a pillion.
I've sat on the Vision, but if truth be known, I'm askeeered of riding it. That and any other bike to be honest. SHHHH don't tell anyone.
But thanks for the vote of confidence LOLOL
Hey Fishy,

The first time I saw the Vision I was a bit intimidated and initially thought it was too big and bulky to maneuver for someone of my stature. When I mustered the courage to take a test ride, while I was a bit apprehensive when backing her up, as soon as I got out of the dealer's lot I quickly realized that it was different from any other bike I've ever owned/ridden. The throttle response, the handling characteristics, the seating position and the comfort aspects won me over. I rarely ride two up and the bike handles differently with the trunk attached. Not bad, but different. When riding two up, as stated in previous posts, I do notice a slight reduction, but that's to be expected with the additional weight. What made me notice this was that while on the highway in 6th gear, I've never had to downshift to pass a truck as it had plenty of roll-on speed. With a passenger, I felt the need to downshift.

Having owned a dozen bikes including a Goldwing and three H-D's, I did have a fair base for comparing this bike to the other highway tourers.

Within two days of ownership, I contacted the local MSF center to register for a class. They didn't have a class coming up for a month and I arranged for a one-on-one, two-hour session with an instructor. It did cost an additional $50 and since the written test was not part of this class, I did not receive the certificate. But my goal was to learn the characteristics of this bike in a controlled setting. To me, just learning the characteristics of the linked braking system was worth the price of admission. Also, practicing tight, slow speed turns in a controlled environment was a major benefit.

While I only had a few hundred miles on the bike at this point and was still becoming familiar with the slow-speed handling characteristics, the instructor was blown away on how this bike handled through the course. He was an H-D guy and at that point knew little about Victory and had never seen a Vision...this was in February 08. Understanding that I was still learning the bike emphasized the forgiving handling characteristics and the balance of this bike.

Another factor I quickly noticed was that unlike other bikes I've owned, when starting from a complete stop, the bike did not tend to move to the side...it would start perfectly straight. I discussed this with Drew (a very seasoned and talented rider) and he gave me the technical explanation that was way over my head!

With all that said, you owe it to yourself to take a test ride on one. With your experience and considering all the miles you log, this could be a bike to consider when it's time to trade. The low seat height/center of gravity was one of the factors that captured my attention as I was a bit concerned at that my age (and height) that I would be able to handle this bike around town. As we all know, riding a tour bike on the highway is a fairly simply task, but having a bike that is designed for highway riding handle so well around town is a major bonus.

Now, if we could only find a solution to the engine heat! Scott from Conquest Customs is looking into this has will be testing out a few solutions shortly. Also, the service intervals are a little too close for my liking, but it's a V-Twin and keeping it in good service condition is an important factor. I do not perform any of my own service and leave that to the dealer.

While I truly enjoy this bike, until someone comes out with a better bike in this class, I'll stick with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Andy...... sounds like you wrote that from my experience! I too rode the Vision this past Summer, from our nearby dealer (and got a free t-shirt), and my experience was very similar. From the git-go, I was intimidated by the size. My wife and I both went in to ride it 2-up, which the dealer allowed us to do. My wife could tell I was a little hesitant, but after one of the salesmen rode it from the showroom to the street, all at very slow speed, she whispered to me "you can do it, if he can." So, we got on and took off.
WOW..... was I impressed! The low speed handling was much similar to a small cruiser, not too much different than my '06 KP. On the better side was the radio, adjustable windscreen, overall gage layout, handlebar location, and POWER. Whoa, did it have power. Silky smooth acceleration, no vibration, and very easy handling for such a big bike. My wife and I are both height challenged, and her 5' frame would not allow her to touch the pillion foot boards, which was uncomfortable for her. The seat for her was fantastic. Overall riding position for me, was very good. I didn't like being bumped on the back of the foot with the tip over bars every time I came to a stop, but I could adapt to that. The bike was so comfortable to ride (with my 5'7" frame, short arms, short legs) we probably stayed out a little too long (almost 45 minutes) on the free demo!
Sydney..... you need to ride the Vision. You'll like it....... I sure did.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have an 05KP and will soon own a Victory. I took it for a test ride back in July and loved every part of the experience. The only problem was someone turned on the heated seat and I could not find the switch...It took until I was sweating bullets that I realized something was wrong! Did not change the experience. I loved the handling, looks and the power was good. In November I brought my bride back for a 2up ride. She likes the KP but two hours is her limit with the seat I have on. Her comment after riding the Vision was you gotta buy this it was like riding a caddy! Now that is how you get your wife to buy you a new Vision...I will keep the KP just for me though!

Jay

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

LOLOL I'm sure I would like the Vision. As long on the KP keeps on going I'm happy with it.
MikeRoark has some risers on the pillion foot boards. Kathy is also height challenged. He also has the lower air deflectors and said those make a huge difference with the heat issue.
I find if I stop about every hour or so and get off my bike, I don't get as fatigued and my legs don't get stiff or sore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.