VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a Garmin GPS and while I know I can figure out mounting and running power to it, is there any way of integrating a non-Victory purchased GPS through bikes sound system? I really have a hard time justifying a purchase of an expensive one through Victory when I already have one.
Alternatively, my current GPS does not have BlueTooth. I am considering buying a Cardo Scala Rider set so my wife and I can talk while riding. If I do get a ~$250 BlueTooth Garmin, I assume I could get my turn-by-turn sound via BT through Cardo without worrying about running sound through stock Victory speakers?
Any advice here would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

I have the Cardo ScalaQ2 that I use with my wife and my son, and I also have my phone sync'd through the unit.
I also did not want to spend the big money on the Victory setup using the Garmin so I went to RAM mounts, purchased and installed the mount on my center console, ran the power down to my power port in the glove box, andhave been usingmy current Garmin 255T. The one thing you need to make sure of is the bluetooth on your Garmin. Mine will not sync to the Cardo (older model)......and since I dropped anddamamged it, I will be getting a new one that has the ability to Sync to my Scala Q2. Make sure you completely understand how the "Sync" works on the Garmin as not all will send the voice information outbound to a bluetooth device.
My setup works perfectly, and even with purchasing a brand new Garmin I will be hundreds of dollars ahead of using the Victory setup.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

Here is the link to the thread where I installed the RAM mount for the Garmin. Very easy but a couple unique steps that you should be aware of to help speed up the install.
http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_2403/
Scroll down and you'll see a step by step on how I installed the mount.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
i was told at the Toys for tots Lunch we went to that the 2820 since it has bluetooth could be synced to the scala and my phone. Nope! one or the other. I cant get them both to sync at the same time.
Am i doing something wrong? When i try and sync them both it tells me to turn one off before syncing the other.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I had assumed that I wouldn't do too much riding in the rain. Plus I hear you can ride a Vision all day long in the rain and not get wet (well, maybe a little when you come to stops).
I figure that the unit will be detachable and if I got caught in the rain, I'd pull it off and store it in saddlebags and pull out a old fashioned map. Hey wait, aren't those paper? That won't work. Here's what I'll do . . . pull over to a bar, drink till it stops raining, then wait 1 hour for each beer to pass through my system (MSF training at work here), then jump back on and ride. ;)
Seriously, anyone out there use a non-waterproof unit and wish they had spent the extra cash? Good catch Vince.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Ive had mine in some pretty wet riding and so far so good. I was told that it is water resistant. i dont know how water "Proof" it is but i have had no issues.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Man314 said:
I had assumed that I wouldn't do too much riding in the rain. Plus I hear you can ride a Vision all day long in the rain and not get wet (well, maybe a little when you come to stops).
Well, don't make that assumption. Even in a Vision. There's always a possibility to get caught in a torrential downpour. You could be on a freeway or a city street. Sometime storms pop up and simply don't have enough time to pull over safely. Keep in mind too, that units that are weather proof, tend to be more rugged in general and can stand more abuse.
As for mounting on a bike, trying googling the model number, the brand, the key word "motorcycle" and "mount" and see what hits pop up. You might find an online retailer that makes a mount. As far as integrating with the Vision's on board electronics - unless the interface is identical to the Garmin 2820 series, you'll have to spec out the wires and gerry-rig something. Again, google might be your friend and you'll find some retailer that has built something for the Victory Vision. Look up the Victory website and look at the new 2010 - they're using a new model of GPS. You might check with a local Victory dealer and see if they have any ideas.
Vince.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.