VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iorderedand installed a set ofJ & M Motorcycle Audio(Tucson, AZ) Radio/Stereo speakers. (No, I do NOT have ANY relationship with that company)
Man, do they make a tremendous difference in both speaker clarity, brilliance and sound volume on my bike! I had very happyordering experience withJ & M Audio andhighly recommend that company if you aren't satisfied with your OEM speakers.Their speakers are very reasonably priced and ordering just the front speakers will dramatically improve sound quality. Heck, Victory should have hadJ & Mdesign and manufacture their OEM speakers in the first place! And I mean it too!

·
Registered
17 Posts

The stock speakers on the "09" are alot better then the stock "08". I replaced my speakers on my "08" Vision (Front & Rear). I traded in my "08" for an "09" Vision. I listened to the speakers on my old bike and the Stock speakers on my new bike and in my opinion they sounded pretty much the same so I left the J&M speakers in the "08" and the stock speakers in the "09".
Gary

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Gary: Very cool. The stock speakers on the 08's suck. Victory must have heard this from their customers and, as a result, upgraded the 09's. In any event, the
J & M speakers are (in my opinion)far superior to the 08's OEMs. I trulylike the way they sound..

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thumper.. I agree. The "08's did suck (IMO). For the $160 I spent for front and rear speakers..... I thought they sounded about as good as the Ness $800 amplified system... Again IMO.
Gary

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right! Ness wants close to $800 for his systemand J & M does(about) the same thing for far less.I don't think there is $600+ difference in theway both systems sound. By the way, have you noted any major differences between the 08's and 09's?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nothing Major... I only went to the "09" because I have a bad back and tend to travel on longer trips. I thought the reverse was a good insurance policy for when I get a little tired and have to "back up". Although I did manage without it on the "08" there were a few times I wished I had the reverse like I had on my Goldwing.

I really do not notice any difference in the bikes... although I did do a lot more on this bike as far as extras go.

Gary

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I thought that there might be a real difference. However, now that I've (finally)got the fuel injection (Stage 1 and pipes) working right (no more backfires - increased performance), I'm really happy with my 08....

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Thumper said:
Iorderedand installed a set ofJ & M Motorcycle Audio(Tucson, AZ) Radio/Stereo speakers. (No, I do NOT have ANY relationship with that company)
Man, do they make a tremendous difference in both speaker clarity, brilliance and sound volume on my bike! I had very happyordering experience withJ & M Audio andhighly recommend that company if you aren't satisfied with your OEM speakers.Their speakers are very reasonably priced and ordering just the front speakers will dramatically improve sound quality. Heck, Victory should have hadJ & Mdesign and manufacture their OEM speakers in the first place! And I mean it too!
Hey Thumper, did you just replace the speakers or did you also upgrade the amp?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just replaced the speakers. the 2008 AMP puts outMORE than enough power. In fact, with the upgrade, the systems sounds ( I think anyway) as good as the one sold by Arlen Ness for $700+. Myspeaker cost from J&M , approx $170...

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Thanks Thumper...that's on my list of things to do to the bike.

A question: what type of helmet to you wear? I ask this as when I wear a 3/4 helmet it sounds just okay. But with a full face helmet, forgetaboutit...the sounds are inaudible.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well, Ihave six (6) different helmets. However the one that I wear the most isa Nolan full-face (flip up) because I wear glasses ( I think it's a model N 101?). It's easy to put on whilewearing glasses and is a VERY good helmet. I also have a Nolan 3/4 helmetwith aface shield (only) that flips up. Finally, I have several half helmets (DOT approved ofcourse!) that Iuse for cruising aroundon countryroads onnice, sunnydays in the Northwest. If I'm on any kind of a road trip, Iusemy Nolan full-face flip up and take one of my 1/2 helmets with me to wearafter arrival.For example, a couple of buddies and I plan to leavefor Arizona Bike Week on March 31st (I livenear Seattle, WA)and I'lluse the full-face flip up for theroad trip through Oregon and California,then use a 1/2 helmet for cruising in AZ, even though AZ doesn't require helmets to ride.I ALWAYSwear a helmet as I it seems like the right thing to do - for me anyway......

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Thumper, im on the same page as you. Since ive been racing ive always had a full face helmet (formula type racecars have open cockpits and its manditory). But i was thinking of getting a 3/4 helmet for around town and short and summer hops.
I really like the nolan. Are there any other flip ups you can recommend?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shoie makes a good one too. However, that brand cost quite a bit more than a the Nolan and, in my opinion, is measurably heavier. But then again, it might offer a little more impact protection.The Nolan is the one I'd recommend. I also have a Shoie flip up and but prefer the Nolan's one hand latching system and lighter weight..There are other (cheaper) flip up helmets available on the market that I've looked at.Theydidn't seem to quite measure up to the Nolan or Shoie..

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
For my full-face helmet, I use a Shoei Multitec. Yes, it is a bit heavier, but it has good ventilation and it's easy to flip up. It's also fairly comfortable. The visibility is okay for a full face helmet. My 3/4 is an Arai and IMHO it's very comfortable.

Back to the topic, when I'm wearing the Shoei Multitec, with the shield open (chin down), the stereo is difficult to hear. I'm wondering if the J & M speakers can be heard using a full face helmet.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Before I left for the VRA picnic in Daytona, I upgraded my speakers on my '08 tour premimum to the J&M aftermarkets. What a difference!!. At highway speeds, it used to be juatr another noise, but now it's music.
I rode the 3000+ mile trip with both my full face and 1/2 helmets. On my trip down, it was 11 degrees F when I left, so full face was a must. At highway speed, the music from my XM receiver was slightly muffeled, but quite enjoyable, not just anothe noise as with the stock speakers. Before I used to shut the radio off at highway speeds.
Once in Fla, the half helmet (a Scorpion EXO100) was great, and the sound even better. So far, the speaker upgrade has been the best money for a simple upgrade and made the rideing even more enjoyable, if possible.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, you and I agree about the J & M speaker upgrade. I can actually HEARmusic from my I-Pod, XW and FM radio. I'm glad that you;re satisfied withwith the change.. By the way, do you know ifanyone inForum upgraded to Stage 2 pipes, camsandprograming? If so, was thechange worth it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey folks, when you who have upgraded their speakers cranked up the volume, was the bass response good? Does it thump, or is a sub needed? On my stock Vision speakers, I have adjusted the bass all the way up and still think it sounds tinny. I changed the speakers on my Ultra Classic and was happy with the result (Polk Audio marine speakers). I love the tunes and the wind in my face - now, I'm just hoping for 45 degrees!!!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Naw, the bass doesn't "thump" with the upgraded speakers but they do sound good. However, in my view, a sub-woofer wouldimprove the sound quality but isn't truly necessary.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.