VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking the Vision might be in need of a steering nut adjustment. Unfortunately, I don't have a lift to do the standard diagnostics to determine if there's play in the steering head.

The bike still tracks like it's on rails in a 100-mph sweeper and goes straight when riding hands-free on the slab.

Lately, it seems that there might be a tiny bit of wandering when creeping to a stop and maybe a tiny bit of clunkiness when going very slowly over sharper speed bumps. I've had to do adjustments on other bikes at one time or another, but not on either of my other Visions.

The bike has 28K on it, the front and rear E4s about 7K with serviceable tread left and they are always inflated to the same PSI within 1/2 pound (38 +/- and 40 +/-), as is the rear shock.

If any of you Vision Pilots have any experience with your steering nut needing adjustment (and how the bike was acting), or have any novel ideas about how to check for looseness without getting the front wheel off the ground, I'd like to hear about it.

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
I'd say with only 28K it would be unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Brake pads good?

My 08 recently didn't feel right when coming to a stop. The brake pads had plenty of life but were the OEM. I switched to EBC like on my 13 and it felt good again.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I'd say with only 28K it would be unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Brake pads good?

My 08 recently didn't feel right when coming to a stop. The brake pads had plenty of life but were the OEM. I switched to EBC like on my 13 and it felt good again.
Hey VVB - what EBC did you go with? Got a part number? Same for front and rear?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chief:

I replaced the pads about 2K miles ago. I got a little over 26K out of the originals, so went OEM again.

I did consider going with EBC. I put their sintered pads on a Kawi years ago, and really liked them, except for the "Locust Sound". Drove me nuts and they made that sound until the day I sold that bike.

Any such experience with your EBCs?

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Chief:

I replaced the pads about 2K miles ago. I got a little over 26K out of the originals, so went OEM again.

I did consider going with EBC. I put their sintered pads on a Kawi years ago, and really liked them, except for the "Locust Sound". Drove me nuts and they made that sound until the day I sold that bike.

Any such experience with your EBCs?
I really can't complain about any sound. I can barely hear them with the stereo off but not enough to bother me. With the stereo on I can't hear them at all. I do always wear a helmet so that of course dampens sound.

Performance with they are much improved over OEM. At least in my opinion. The OEM were not bad but I ran through them quickly so I tried EBC. So far I have no reason to go back to stock.

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Reactions: md2420

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that I think about it, I probably should have gone with the EBCs. Way less money and better stopping power.

The Kawi didn't have tunes and I almost never ride the Vision without the stereo blasting. Besides, the relentless belt chirp from the Vision would have drowned out the cicadas . . .

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Now that I think about it, I probably should have gone with the EBCs. Way less money and better stopping power.

The Kawi didn't have tunes and I almost never ride the Vision without the stereo blasting. Besides, the relentless belt chirp from the Vision would have drowned out the cicadas . . .
My 13 has always had a chirp on and off. I usually can not hear it unless my stereo is off or Im riding close to the wall going down the freeway. That is how I found out it was even doing it. I was riding the HOV lane with a wall on each side bouncing the chirp back to me.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same here, but it bugs the crap out of me riding around town. Once I'm up to speed I don't hear it, until like you said, you're up against a k-rail or something similar.

I've heard a lot of theories about belt adjustments fixing the problem, but the best explanation I've found is that the rear pulley is the issue and that they put an improved design version on the '14s and up.

If I'm riding with other people and don't want to be embarrassed, I rub down both edges of the belt with a bar of Ivory soap before I leave. That shuts it up for 100 miles or so.

Plus, if you hit a puddle, your bike is instantly transformed into a Lawrence Welk Bubble Machine . . .

·
Registered
232 Posts
Vapor Trail. The owners manual has an easy test for the steering head test. It can be done with the bike on the ground as well but might take more muscle.

Reactions: Vapor Trail

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Lately, it seems that there might be a tiny bit of wandering when creeping to a stop and maybe a tiny bit of clunkiness when going very slowly over sharper speed bumps.
Have you had the front forks serviced yet?
Also check for loose bolts on the fender & other front end mounted parts.

Reactions: Vapor Trail

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Trout: Definitely overdue on the fork service where the recommended interval is concerned.

@Rod: I'm about in that neck of the woods mileage-wise. How many hours labor did they charge you to change out the bearings?

@Okie: I have your Vision's doppleganger, except for the top filter. My manual only shows the procedure for checking the front suspension with the bike on the ground. The steering head check shown in the manual is the one I would have done, if I had a lift available.

Since I'll be taking the bike in soon to have the fork oil changed, they can check the steering head while they're at it. But sometimes it's good to be able to tell them what needs to be done rather than asking them what needs to be done. ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Vapor, FYI northern tools has a motorcycle jack that runs bout $85.00. I have had one a while. Use it on both my Vision, my son's Honda CB1100, my lawn mower, and doing a frame of on a 64 rivera and have used it on both the transmission and rear end. Not a bad tool to have. I agree, its best to TELL your service center what you want done. You know your ride much better than them that see it a couple hours a year. Educate this Okie. Never heard of the term "Doppleganger". WHAT DA???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.