VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a nice 400 mile ride this past week and about 100 miles from home the bike felt like it was a pogo stick bouncing around. Got home and there was oil dripping out of the rear shock. I don't remember hitting any huge potholes so I guess the shock just puked from old age.(25000 miles) Still had air pressure but not a bit of oil. Bought one from the Vic Guy for a good price and installed it yesterday. The change out wasn't too bad . Has anyone else had their rear shock puke all the oil out?

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
Seems to be a very mixed bag with this shock. So far my shock is holding up pretty well. If it ever goes I will most likely replace it with a Penske. I have not looked into other replacement air type units.

Reactions: Kel108

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
There was a member on this forum who did a real good job of rebuilding them, so buy a second hand and refurbish the old one ... Yes the chamber is welded, etc but all was done very profecionally

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine just blew out last night coming back from a Superbowl party. I'm glad I wasn't riding fast. Bike sat right down on the rear tire.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine just blew out last night coming back from a Superbowl party. I'm glad I wasn't riding fast. Bike sat right down on the rear tire.
Glad you weren't riding fast. Mine didn't sit down on the tire but was really wobbly,felt like I had a flat tire. Bought my replacement from the Vic Guy. Make sure and grease everything up good.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I’ve noticed some oil residue on mine, but still holds air (for the most part...I still check the level now and then...usually when I’m taking a passenger and have to pump it up)

Is there any way to tell for sure it’s leaking fluid? Does that mean my shock is going bad? Probably a dumb question, but can I put fluid back in it or is it a sealed system?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've noticed some oil residue on mine, but still holds air (for the most part...I still check the level now and then...usually when I'm taking a passenger and have to pump it up)

Is there any way to tell for sure it's leaking fluid? Does that mean my shock is going bad? Probably a dumb question, but can I put fluid back in it or is it a sealed system?
Thats how my failure started,, leaking oil then complete failure although the air pressure was still good. The oil acts as the damper and with it all leaked out the rear is like a pogo stick.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
OK, here is another possibly dumb question - Has anyone that lost a shock had any trouble finding a new OEM replacement? Putting a feeler out there for obvious reasons!

Reactions: mister-g

·
Registered
152 Posts
View attachment 510949 View attachment 510951 View attachment 510949 View attachment 510949 View attachment 510949 View attachment 510949 View attachment 510951 View attachment 510951 View attachment 510949 View attachment 510951 View attachment 510949 View attachment 510951 View attachment 510949 View attachment 510951 View attachment 510949 News update..... It wasn't my rear shock that blew out. It was the top of the rocker arm that sheared off or crack in half. I bought this lowered rocking arm about 6 years ago from a custom Victory parts site. It was a 2 - 3" lowered rocker arm and I only had it in the 2 inch hole. 3 inch was just too low.

Anyway, when coming home after the Super Bowl, it was the rocker arm top that cracked and automatically dropped my bike on to the rear tire. In most cases, this wouldn't happen to a non-modified Vision, that was not modified to let the top of the shock arm travel up and past the shock assembly hole, underneath the seat.

I modified my bike with a notch in cast aluminum (you'll see in picture), because the only way you can lower a vision 2 - 3 " is by cutting that notch in the shock assembly opening. It's the only way a lowered Vision will ride.

Bike has 28,500 miles on it, so it's kind of scary that it broke.

·
Registered
152 Posts
sorry for all the pictures. Don't know what happened.

Reactions: Ghostrider25
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.