VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start with a few questions Andy asked me:
Also, when you have a few minutes, writing your first review of being a new Vision owner could help other prospective buyers learn from your experiences. Since you did a few test rides with multiple bikes, the comparison between the models could be a nice touch.
My big questions to you are:

Is the Vision living up to your expectations?
Yes, everything i read about is true. The handling the balance the power etc.

How has your riding changed since you first picked it up to now?
Obviously when i first picked up the bike i was very aprehensive. I hadnt ridden a big road bike in 20 years. My biggest change from then to now is, I'm letting the bike dictate where it wants to be , rather than fighting it and trying to "Drive" it around. I have really lightened up on my gripping the bars. ive found i really need just a light touch to get it to go where i want.

Are you riding more/less than you thought you would?
Much more. Im going out in the evenings for an hour or two, and even running up to the store for little stuff, just to have a ride. (4 10lb bags of ice fit in the trunk by the way.)

In your mind, does the Vision live up to the reviews you've read?
Absolutely, what you cant see in the reviews is the kick in the pants when you twist full throttle and go through the gears.

What are your favorite/least favorite aspects of the bike?
The power is nice but the smoothness has to be the best feature. Slow speed handling one you get a little confidence is amazing for a really big bike. Ihave been going to an empty lot at the High School and practicing. Clutch, rear brake, clutch, rear brake. I can now do locked left and right circles with just a little clutch brake and throttle. Figure 8s are a snap now. Still havent tested , nor do i plan to test the tipovers.

If you were Victory, what would you change for future models?
I think the seat heater switches need to be accessable easier. They could put the drivers switch on the dash in that empty slot. Also the windshield i think could be on a different type of pivot to lay flatter when in the down most position, allowing more air to the chest. One its raised, then it can go more upright. They really need to backlight the bar and dash switches. I still hit the horn sometimes at night when trying to find the radio or turn signal cancell switches (im sure ill get used to where everything is). I wish the trunk and side bags locked when you lock the forks and pull the key out. The radio and speakers need to be improved, the antenna needs to be moved out from behind the metal plate in the dash.

We know you logged some big miles on the highway, but how is it around town? Answered above.

What's the pros/cons to buying a used bike?
The biggest pro is if you can find the right deal, you can let the other guy take the depreciation hit. Usually if something is going to go wrong, it will do it in the first few thousand miles. Let the first owner deal with that too. The con could be the old saying "buyer beware" it's all on you once you make a used bike deal. Buying new is obvious, no miles everything new etc etc.

What's your opinion of the dealerships?
I have only been to 2 dealerships, Randys and today Naperville. Both great places, great people and they both seem to know their stuff. But so far i have not had either of them do any service work yet.

Did they welcome you, or were they a bit ticked you didn't buy it from them?
Debbie at Randys , who i was dealing with before i bought from Andy was a little dissapointed i didnt buy from her, but understood, and said "Well at least you are now in the family, and we look forward to helping in any way we can" Which i thought was nice.

Which features/accessories/mods (if any) are you considering doing to your bike, and why?
So far i have added the extensions for the passenger boards, and i added the chrome lock cover on the trunk. I am going to add the upgraded speakers in the front, as well as a small Amp to boost the power a tad. Oh yeah ill be moving the stock antenna as well.

Would you do it again?
Its hard knowing you are parting with a large chunk of change whether you buy new or used, but knowing what this bike is capable of and what it has already shown me, then yes indeed. I made the right choice and would do it again. (But Andy needs to buy dinner again)

Andy:

"Remember, on The VOG, honest reviews are the best ones. I'll always (until proven otherwise) believe in the concept that there's never a perfect product. There's always room for improvement. Personally, I learn more from honest reviews than the ones that just highlight the good points and gloss over the areas that need improvement. I can only hope that the factories read the rider reviews and can learn from them and make even better products in the future."
Inanswer to his question about comparing the other bikes, I never actually rode any. The opportunity was there but i just didnt get around to it. Ohwell,I will leave this now as it is long enough.I will have more to report soon.

·
Registered
554 Posts

Well that was a very interesting read I must say. I tell you I don't own a vision but I do know that if and or I ever do buy one I'll be very knolegable as to knowing what to look for as in little xtras that a previous owner has done to improve the bike etc. My local Victory Dealer has its demo day comeing up and I'll be testing a vision out as a fewother models as well. I allready know that I'll want a vision after I ride one just from what you all hear have had to say about them in past posts.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Least favorite i would have to say is i have to work, and cant just ride all day. The Mirrors take a little getting used to. You need to move your head a lttle more than on a conventional mirrored bike. And like i mentioned i dont like the fact the switches are not back lit. Also when i slide my feet back on the boards, the heel of my boots hits the pipe and depending on the footwear, it melts the rubber part of my boot, and makes a little mess on the pipe. I heard easy off oven cleaner on a hot pipe will take it off. Its running a little rich and the gatlin tips get kinda sooty no big problem but they look nicer when clean.
More to follow as i remember stuff.

·
Registered
457 Posts

I'm not saying it shouldn't be here... But a special section would put them more in the spotlight for new users and newcomers to thevog.
User reviews are more important than industry reviews, because the user has his own money tied up in the bike and much more attention for detail.
I was just thinking about other sites I go to from time to time, and reviews are always easily found without using the search. So I thought that could be useful for TheVog. TheVog is clearly going to be the biggest online community for victory owners, if it isn't already. It encourages other users to chime in with their own reviews...

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I guess I missed something too! See, I step away from the computer to watch a movie and BAM! I miss something.

Again, Clubford, great review. I honestly mean it that rider reviews will beat magazine reviews every time.

I absolutely encourage anyone with a bike to post their own, objective opinions of their experiences. A good guideline is to use the questions listed in Clubford's review. After all, we can all talk about the great stuff, but knowing the shortcomings are just as important as unless we give the factory our input, how else will they know what to work on for future models?

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Excellant review D... But, what is your least favorite aspect? Besides the heat switch.
I think that he told me the least favorite aspect was that you keep wanting to ride Clubford's bike! An something about the drool on the seat near where you were standing.

Just kidding by friend!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One Thing i forgot to mention that i dont like. The silver dash. When there is light to my back sun going down or headlights i get the reflection onto the winshield. I will be blacking out the silver center dash and probably the bezels aroung the gauges.

Also something that is kinda flattering and dangerous at the same time. Since not many people have seen anything like this bike, i get people that speed up or slow down to be next to me to look. I piss em off when they do this and i twist the grip a little and rocket away from them. Sorry im flattered you want to look, but do it when im parked in a lot, not going 65 down the road. 106 cubes come in handy sometimes for that quick get away from galkers.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Clubford00 said:
One Thing i forgot to mention that i dont like. The silver dash. When there is light to my back sun going down or headlights i get the reflection onto the winshield. I will be blacking out the silver center dash and probably the bezels aroung the gauges.

Also something that is kinda flattering and dangerous at the same time. Since not many people have seen anything like this bike, i get people that speed up or slow down to be next to me to look. I piss em off when they do this and i twist the grip a little and rocket away from them. Sorry im flattered you want to look, but do it when im parked in a lot, not going 65 down the road. 106 cubes come in handy sometimes for that quick get away from galkers.
1) That dash glare is a pain. I don't know how that passed the design stage.

2) Use your lanes to reposition yourself. Slide to the side of the lane furthest away from the onlookers to give yourself a buffer zone. When it's safe, then get out of harm's way. And...

BEWARE OF TEXTERS!!!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Hey Dean you forgot to mention that the power windshield keeps the bugs out of your grin while riding.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok heres a quick (yeah right) review of the first ride with the trunk off.

WOW What a difference in handling much more nimble than with the weight off the back. It really is a different bike. Not to mention it is easier to see out the back from the mirrors and when i do head checks.
I feel like im riding a cruiser or even a sport bike without laying on the tank.
If anyone is interested in having two bikes in one, buy the Vision with the trunk, ride it around for a week or two then take the trunk off. Monster difference.
The one problem i did face, Now i have to carry my helmet around !

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.