VOG Forum banner

Vision owner question

2989 Views 27 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Keith Grey
What is the RPM at 80 mph in 6th gear on the Vision?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
714 Posts
Do you want a stock engine answer or a slightly modified engine answer?

· Registered
714 Posts
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
how does modifying the engine change the RPM in a given gear at a given speed? I can see it if the tires or tranny is changed therefore changing the gear ration, but the engine???
A stock bikes makes about 80-82HP at the tire.
My bike makes 116HP at the tire.
The way I understand it, with more HP at a given RPM, I should be going faster than a stock Vision. Conversely, at a given speed, my bike is working easier so I should be at a lower RPM.

· Registered
714 Posts
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
how does modifying the engine change the RPM in a given gear at a given speed? I can see it if the tires or tranny is changed therefore changing the gear ration, but the engine???
A stock bikes makes about 80-82HP at the tire.
My bike makes 116HP at the tire.
The way I understand it, with more HP at a given RPM, I should be going faster than a stock Vision. Conversely, at a given speed, my bike is working easier so I should be at a lower RPM.
HP and torque do not vary the RPM at certain speeds on bikes that havethe samefinal gear ratio. I saw on another post, at least I think it was you, that stated that "Lloydz changed your timing and therefore the result is a different gear ratio". I am new to this forum but belong to a Diesel forum and an RV forum and you have to be careful answering questions and state them as fact, when they are not. I am not trying to fight here, but I would suggest if you don't know an answer, not typing anything may be better than typing clearly the wrong info. Some people will take it as fact andmake decisions based on false info.
Ride Safe
I believe I said he changed the timingwhich changed the gearing. Which is howLloyd explained it to me. Not being a wrench, that doesn't mean much to me.
All I know that is with no other changes other than the computer swap, the bike gives me atleast an extra 10MPH in first and second and is much higher "geared" in those gears. Not so "low geared" anymore. Much more like my Kingpin.
Ride Safe

· Registered
714 Posts

I know that but that does NOT explain the actual change in how it feels. A HUGE difference in how it takes off. First and second were always too low geared for me.
A major diference after the computer swap. Like night and day from before.
After Lloyd swapped out my computer, I took it for a quick blast up the street. With just a half mile trip, I was amazed at the change. When I got back I asked him and Lloyd told me it was something he did to the timing which effected the gearing.
Completely changed the character of the bike for the better.

· Registered
714 Posts

That would explain it. A first to third romp then a first to third romp back and no anchor. When I got back to Lloyd, everyone thought I was smiling about the extended rev limiter, which is a lot of fun. But I was actually grinning about the change in 1st and 2nd. Which to me, someone who used to hit the rev limiter constantly, is a more important change than the limiter. If I had to choose one over the other, I would go back to the old rev limiter and keep my new 1st and 2nd gears.
Thank God I don't have to make that choice. :)

· Registered
714 Posts
OneThumb said:
Rick057 said:
That would explain it. A first to third romp then a first to third romp back and no anchor. When I got back to Lloyd, everyone thought I was smiling about the extended rev limiter, which is a lot of fun. But I was actually grinning about the change in 1st and 2nd. Which to me, someone who used to hit the rev limiter constantly, is a more important change than the limiter. If I had to choose one over the other, I would go back to the old rev limiter and keep my new 1st and 2nd gears.
Thank God I don't have to make that choice. :)
You should have come up to our Bancroft meet, That would have made eveythingwork normal.
Someday you guys will have an event when I do not have a conflict down here.

· Registered
714 Posts
Another HP Boost!!! I like the sound of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.