VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Do you want a stock engine answer or a slightly modified engine answer?

·
Registered
86 Posts

Rick057 said:
how does modifying the engine change the RPM in a given gear at a given speed? I can see it if the tires or tranny is changed therefore changing the gear ration, but the engine???

·
Registered
23,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baltimore-Dave said:
how does modifying the engine change the RPM in a given gear at a given speed? I can see it if the tires or tranny is changed therefore changing the gear ratio, but the engine???
Funny you should mention that...because even though my front pulley is 2 teeth smaller, the speedo & tach read the same as before... it's just that the speedo is wrong now. It still says80 @ like 2900 rpm... but I'm really only doing 74-75 mph. 80 mph for real is actually a little over3100 rpm. Evidently the speedometercan't "see" the gearing change (which works out to 7% overall).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Half_Crazy said:
Baltimore-Dave said:
how does modifying the engine change the RPM in a given gear at a given speed? I can see it if the tires or tranny is changed therefore changing the gear ratio, but the engine???
Funny you should mention that...because even though my front pulley is 2 teeth smaller, the speedo & tach read the same as before... it's just that the speedo is wrong now. It still says80 @ like 2900 rpm... but I'm really only doing 74-75 mph. 80 mph for real is actually a little over3100 rpm. Evidently the speedometercan't "see" the gearing change (which works out to 7% overall).
That makes sense as the pully changes the gear ratio, but I don't consider that an engine modification. This would give the bike a better low end, but I wouldn't want to increase my highway RPM's. I am still new to Victorys and they like to be rev'd higher than what I am used to, but it is hard to "teach an old dog new tricks"!

·
Registered
23,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Baltimore-Dave said:
That makes sense as the pully changes the gear ratio, but I don't consider that an engine modification. This would give the bike a better low end, but I wouldn't want to increase my highway RPM's. I am still new to Victorys and they like to be rev'd higher than what I am used to, but it is hard to "teach an old dog new tricks"!
It's a small increase. What was 2500 rpm is now 2675. An additional 175rpm is no big deal on the highway. A true 80 MPH at3100 is still a lazy cruise.
What it DOES accomplish is fixing 1st gear so it's no so freakin' high. Getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic SUCKED with the stock gearing because it's 15 MPH or slipthe clutch. In '08 Victorychanged the ratio of 1st gear for that very reason.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
how does modifying the engine change the RPM in a given gear at a given speed? I can see it if the tires or tranny is changed therefore changing the gear ration, but the engine???
A stock bikes makes about 80-82HP at the tire.
My bike makes 116HP at the tire.
The way I understand it, with more HP at a given RPM, I should be going faster than a stock Vision. Conversely, at a given speed, my bike is working easier so I should be at a lower RPM.

·
Registered
23,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rick057 said:
The way I understand it, with more HP at a given RPM, I should be going faster than a stock Vision. Conversely, at a given speed, my bike is working easier so I should be at a lower RPM.
While you may be holding less throttle at a given speed due to the additional power, the rpm at a particular speed would remain the same.

·
Registered
23,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rick057 said:
I can't read that without smiling.... Talk about the ultimate sleeper. No one would suspect that big ol' bike will MOVE like that. It's got to be a ton of fun to see the look on people's faces.
I had anunsuspecting victim yesterday myself. A guy on a nicely customized Road King decided he would show me how fast it was leaving a red light. I was 2-up, my wife andI on our way home from eating crabs at Sea Breeze. I have to granny shift and shift early with my wife onboard so the front wheel stays down and the sissybar doesn't feel like it's trying to come out the front of her... but anyway... granny shifting at 4500 RPM and handily pulling away from the Harley justmade my day.My wife leans forward and says "You're such a *******!". She had no idea what could have happened. LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rick057 said:
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
HP and torque do not vary the RPM at certain speeds on bikes that havethe samefinal gear ratio. I saw on another post, at least I think it was you, that stated that "Lloydz changed your timing and therefore the result is a different gear ratio". I am new to this forum but belong to a Diesel forum and an RV forum and you have to be careful answering questions and state them as fact, when they are not. I am not trying to fight here, but I would suggest if you don't know an answer, not typing anything may be better than typing clearly the wrong info. Some people will take it as fact andmake decisions based on false info.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
174 Posts
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
HP and torque do not vary the RPM at certain speeds on bikes that havethe samefinal gear ratio. I saw on another post, at least I think it was you, that stated that "Lloydz changed your timing and therefore the result is a different gear ratio". I am new to this forum but belong to a Diesel forum and an RV forum and you have to be careful answering questions and state them as fact, when they are not. I am not trying to fight here, but I would suggest if you don't know an answer, not typing anything may be better than typing clearly the wrong info. Some people will take it as fact andmake decisions based on false info.
Ride Safe
Running amsoil will also change your timing and therefore give you a different gear ratio.

·
Registered
86 Posts
APHATMOUSE said:
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
Ride Safe
Running amsoil will also change your timing and therefore give you a different gear ratio.
STOP IT!!!!!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
Baltimore-Dave said:
Rick057 said:
Ride Safe
I believe I said he changed the timingwhich changed the gearing. Which is howLloyd explained it to me. Not being a wrench, that doesn't mean much to me.
All I know that is with no other changes other than the computer swap, the bike gives me atleast an extra 10MPH in first and second and is much higher "geared" in those gears. Not so "low geared" anymore. Much more like my Kingpin.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
23,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rick057 said:
I believe I said he changed the timingwhich changed the gearing. Which is howLloyd explained it to me.
Before, the rev limiter would stop the fun at5500 rpm. Now, it will spin to 6400 rpm, allowing more speed in each gear. Increased rev limit, not increased gear ratio.

·
Registered
714 Posts

I know that but that does NOT explain the actual change in how it feels. A HUGE difference in how it takes off. First and second were always too low geared for me.
A major diference after the computer swap. Like night and day from before.
After Lloyd swapped out my computer, I took it for a quick blast up the street. With just a half mile trip, I was amazed at the change. When I got back I asked him and Lloyd told me it was something he did to the timing which effected the gearing.
Completely changed the character of the bike for the better.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Rick057 said:
I know that but that does NOT explain the actual change in how it feels. A HUGE difference in how it takes off. First and second were always too low geared for me.
A major diference after the computer swap. Like night and day from before.
After Lloyd swapped out my computer, I took it for a quick blast up the street. With just a half mile trip, I was amazed at the change. When I got back I asked him and Lloyd told me it was something he did to the timing which effected the gearing.
Completely changed the character of the bike for the better.
You have seen that commercial, the car pulling an anchor, he just cut yours lose.

·
Registered
714 Posts

That would explain it. A first to third romp then a first to third romp back and no anchor. When I got back to Lloyd, everyone thought I was smiling about the extended rev limiter, which is a lot of fun. But I was actually grinning about the change in 1st and 2nd. Which to me, someone who used to hit the rev limiter constantly, is a more important change than the limiter. If I had to choose one over the other, I would go back to the old rev limiter and keep my new 1st and 2nd gears.
Thank God I don't have to make that choice. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.