VOG Forum banner

Vision Mileage

3597 21
I just returned from a 1750+ ride from the Seattle Metro Area to the San Francisco Bay Area, CA on my 08 Vision. The bike is equipped with a VFC III, Lloydz cams, Lloydz air intake and Lloydz rev extender and Arlen Ness chrome rims. It ran perfectly at a calculatedaverage (highway) speed of 71.9 mph. The longest non-stop leg of the trip was from just south of Portland, OR to Grants Pass, OR, a distance of slightlymore than 225+ miles. (Grants Pass is very close to the CA border). I was riding with two Harleys, a Street Glide and a Road Glide bothrunning 110 ci,6 gal tanks and 6 speed trans. When we arrived in GrantsPass,my friends indicated that bothHarleys "low fuel" lights had been on, for a few miles whilemy bikes "lowfuel" light had "blinked", briefly,just beforeour exit.It did notreachthe "low fuel warning" range.. I took 4.9 gallons and one of theHarleys took 5.3 and the other 5.5 gals. For the entire trip, that I personally calculated,my bikeaveraged 42.7 mpgon the highway.The bikesinstuments indicated that I averaged 44.1mpg.After filling up, the bikes instumentsstated thatIhad a highway range of278 miles. However,it would only indicate that length of distance when I "burped" the tank whilefueling (e.g.shaking the bike slighly as it fills uptoto make sure all the air escapes fromthe tank).If didn't "burp" the tank, then filled it upto the point that the gas pump stopped, the bikes indicatedrangedropped, considerably, to the range(s) of 243 to255 or so miles. From my experience ONLY, if you are on a trip where the bikes range could be important, "burp" youfuel tank to extend your range! By the way, I stopped byArlen Ness in Dublin, CAand took a picture. Onceagain,the Ness' are a family operation and boy does it show in terms of theGREAT service that they provide. Crap! I felt that I had to buy"something" to show my appreciation - which I did!One of these days I'll take the time to learn how to post pictureson this site!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh! By the way, on average I could put 1/4 to 1/2 gallon (or more) fuel into the tank by "burping" it during fueling. What I mean is if I gently shook the right handle bar, while the bike rested on its kickstand, the gas sloshes around and the air escapes from the fuel tank inlet. If the air is completely out of the tank, the fuel will level off at the bottom of the fuel intake neck and will stop going down when the tank is totally filled...Also, my AVERAGE fuel mileage was 42.7 mpgbut there were periods, during the trip, that I got way better mpg and way worst!!

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for teh tip about adding more fuel Thumper. There are times I fill up then ride away and the fuel gage is under full. I bet I just needed to burp it. Also, on road trips, I average 44-45mpg. With everything averaged in (daily commutes through town, etc), I average 42mpg. I think its pretty good for a big bike that I like to ride agressively.

· Registered
6,116 Posts
The way the Vision tanks are designed, if you are not getting the air out then you are giving up at least 3/4 of a gallon of capacity......there have been times when I could get an extra 1.5 gallons into it by rocking the bike during fueling. It is a sloooow process to get her full.

· Registered
92 Posts
Same experience with me. I rode from Vancouver, BC to Mexico with a buddy who has a 09 CVO Electra Glide somewhat tricked 110 incher. His milage was always less than mine. We figured out that the Ness bike was getting about 10-12% better milage. And, thats for a cammed, etc. motor on the Ness. It ticked him off since he could not keep up the the Ness in corners or during roll ons. Ahhhh, the joys of VV ownership.

· Registered
249 Posts
I'm curious to know how you calculated the 42.7 average fuel milage. Was this information from the bike's on-board fuel calculator, or did you divide actual milage by amount of fuel used? If the latter, you're getting very good milage. If the former, your numbers may be very inaccurate.

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mudge: I calculated the actual mileage. That is miles traveleddivided bythe actual amountof fuel used. The on-board mileage calculator is very optimistic. It's always been high. For example, it indicated that I was averaging 44.1 mpg but my measured mpgwas 42.7.

· Registered
455 Posts
I use my cell phone to do the math and the bike is close but never right on.
Its to bad the victory didn't do there home work on the gas tanks but then I don't mind stopping a mile sooner.
I have all ways wounder how accurate the read outs are. Did I really get 45 mph and my seed was 47 mph or I traveled 188 miles.

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aussiejack: Have you added or ordered any of LLoyds products to your bike? That is cams, VFC III, rev extender, additional intake plate etc. If I was going to spend just a "little" money, to get the best performance gain, I'd order the rev extender because of the perfomance gain and tuning. I don't know what Lloyd does, butmy bikeseems to run and idle much better with the rev extender ECU compared tothe stock ECU. If cost was no object, then I'd order them all of course! LOL!! (by the way, none of these additions to my bike dramaticallyimpacted its gas mileage)

· Registered
3 Posts
poor mileage?? this is where I am at. Is there anything I can do to increase the mpg?? your GPS usually calculates avg. I haven't had a vehicle of any kind match my gps. Mike
Candyman said:
Im getting 37 to 38 solo and 42.6+ 2 up. Also my speedometer is 2+mph high. Between 70 and 80 it ranges from 2 to 4 mph over (measured with the GPS).

· Registered
7,208 Posts
YEP, that's about the same mileage my XC with the 106 gets on the highway if you keep your speed down. When I cruise at 80 mph 2 up it takes a big hit and goes to the mid 30's.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have been looking installing the power commander ecm control unit. I can then have the fuel mixture set at all ranges up to 5k rpm. I will invest in K&N air filter to help it breath a bit better as well.

· Registered
17,770 Posts
Candyman said:
Im getting 37 to 38 solo and 42.6+ 2 up. Also my speedometer is 2+mph high. Between 70 and 80 it ranges from 2 to 4 mph over (measured with the GPS).
At 50 MPH, my Vision is 2% optimistic with new tires. (49 GPS VS 50 speedometer) My auto's are nearly the same. My last Suzuki read 9-10% high. Suzuki's are so bad that a lot of riders install "speed healers". The thing to remember is that manufacturers have to make sure that the displayed speed is never less than the actual speed to avoid lawsuits. The last time I checked the DOT law, readings up to 10% high was acceptable. Here is the code for trucks; [Code of Federal Regulations] [Title 49, Volume 5] [Revised as of October 1, 2008] From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR393.82] [Page 431] TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION CHAPTER III--FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION PART 393_PARTS AND ACCESSORIES NECESSARY FOR SAFE OPERATION--Table of Contents Subpart G_Miscellaneous Parts and Accessories Sec. 393.82 Speedometer. Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor must be equipped with a speedometer indicating vehicle speed in miles per hour and/or kilometers per hour. The speedometer must be accurate to within plus or minus 8 km/ hr (5 mph) at a speed of 80 km/hr (50 mph). (10%) [70 FR 48054, Aug. 15, 2005]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.