VOG Forum banner

Vision LED trunk lights finally added.

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Monkeyman 
#1 ·
I finally added some trunk LED brake lights to the Vision. I'm really happy with this set up and I'm sure I'll be adding more lighting. I know it's been a big topic because I've read up on it so much here in various threads and other forums.
From my experience inshoveling up many a bike rider over 20 years in law enforcement, I've learned that increasing your visibility is one of the greatest things that a motorcyclist can do to decrease the chances of a vehicular incident with the 'other guy'. That, along withthe other preventive measures that good riders know about such as your placement on the road in relation to other traffic, and maintaining a huge 'reactionary gap' between you and the vehicles in front of you, as possible. So add some lights and be seen!
Note: I wire each light in seriesparallel so that they operate on their own circuit. If one goes out the other will not, unless the entire brake light circuit goes out.

#3 ·
Thanks Andy, I need a new microphone! Yeah I promised Dean I'd show em off once I got them installed. I think I'll do a few others on the saddle bags, (like you did), and inside the engine compartment. Oddly, I never ride at night unless I got caught in it.

#4 ·
Nice stuff, thanks!! You make the install sound easy!!!

#7 ·

I wired them to only come on with the brake lights, separate from factory running lights, thereby providing that huge, I'm stopping, brake light effect. You can wire them to operate with the turn signals by adding a simple controller.
I think I would like toadd additional turn signals as well, but I would like them on the main body between the trunk and lower body main lights. When I figure out a good location and light type, I'll post that as well.
I think I'll also draw up a very exploded diagram to show how to hook up lights such as this. I think once folks see the 'big picture' and can relate it to what they see on their bike, they will be less fearless in doing their own installation.
Anyone else for that, or should I not bother?

#9 ·
Bhayes said:
I wired them to only come on with the brake lights, separate from factory running lights, thereby providing that huge, I'm stopping, brake light effect. You can wire them to operate with the turn signals by adding a simple controller.
I think I would like toadd additional turn signals as well, but I would like them on the main body between the trunk and lower body main lights. When I figure out a good location and light type, I'll post that as well.
I think I'll also draw up a very exploded diagram to show how to hook up lights such as this. I think once folks see the 'big picture' and can relate it to what they see on their bike, they will be less fearless in doing their own installation.
Yep, you definetely need turn signals and so do I. I was shocked when following you how bad the turn signals are on the Vision. With all the lights on the blink did not stand out. When I check them in my garage they seem really bright. There is a reason they use yellow lights in some European countries, they stand out better. As soon as MAN gives his review of the higher output LED's I think the clear lenses are in my future with some yellow LED turn signals.

#11 ·
dsjr70 said:
Yep, you definetely need turn signals and so do I. I was shocked when following you how bad the turn signals are on the Vision. With all the lights on the blink did not stand out. When I check them in my garage they seem really bright. There is a reason they use yellow lights in some European countries, they stand out better. As soon as MAN gives his review of the higher output LED's I think the clear lenses are in my future with some yellow LED turn signals.
Thats why im going with the trunk stuff. The problem is normally, unless on a longer ride/trip, the trunk is in the garage and your stuck with the regular V.

#13 ·
Not sure if your asking but the kuryakin mod is for the trunk, and converts the running lights to brake and turn signals. not just the on all the time running lights. My bike already has the back off module so it will work with that also.

#14 ·

I like the idea and am contemplating doing the same but with a twist, so I have a question for you.
I have a controler on the bike already because the trailer I towis equiped withLEDs. I was thinking of installing the same light bars you have in the same location as yours but tapping into the signal light wires from the controler so they would act only as extra signal lights. I also would add a third light bar between them in the center and connect it to the brake light wire.
Do you see any problem with doing it that way?

#15 ·
Nepper said:
I like the idea and am contemplating doing the same but with a twist, so I have a question for you.
I have a controler on the bike already because the trailer I towis equiped withLEDs. I was thinking of installing the same light bars you have in the same location as yours but tapping into the signal light wires from the controler so they would act only as extra signal lights. I also would add a third light bar between them in the center and connect it to the brake light wire.
Do you see any problem with doing it that way?
Nepperthat'll be a great setup. I also plan to add another strip in the middle. My understanding is wire to the controller if the LEDs flash too fast. Check with Clubford00 also, he had a similar situation that he needed to work out.

#17 ·

I have seen, either on this forum or a different one, that someone had installed 3 seperate LED lights like this. The middle one was a brake light and the ones on each side were of course turn signals. I can't remember if he had the side lights wired to run and blink and the middle light wired to run and come on when the brakes were applied. Having just wired my Vision to pull a trailer I was wondering how he did that. Looking at the schematics each bulb has two filaments in it. The green/pink wire is the running lights and the blue is the turn signal on the left and the blue/red is the turn signal on the right. The white/pink is the brake lights. So my question is this. Would a person have to tie into both the green/pink and the blue and blue red wires to get the LED's to run and blink and the same with the brake light. Would you have to tie into the white/pink and the green/pink with wires to get it to run and blink?

However since I now have my Vision wired to pull a trailer, I am thinking that I can tie into the pigtail and get the lights to run and blink from there by just tying one wire into the Yellow for left turn/run, Green for right turn/ run and brown for run and stop. Now since that is all clear as mud now, what do you think is the best way to do this?

#18 ·

It's a shame that the Vision never came with a high mount brake lamp. Their brake lamps, in my opinion, are mounted too low and though they illuminate just fine at night or in dark places, in bright daylight, especially when the sun is at the rider's back, they are almost washed out. And why didn't they use hi-intensity LED lights instead of glass bulbs? Only Vic knows for sure.

#19 ·
Where's the video? I don't see a video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.