VOG Forum banner

Vision headlight bulb change....I did it... My takeaways.

3816 35
So recently I had a light burn out on my 13 Vision. I tried to turn on my Cyclops light to make up for it but it was out too. Well crap!

So today I set out to change all three. I went with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra for all three.

Liquid Product Font Automotive lighting Material property

So what I found worked best was removing the front air filter, removing the front cover, raising the windshield all the way up, and removing the fuse box access panel doors. The panel doors made a little difference but not a ton.

Then I unplugged the bulbs and removed the boots. This is when I found removing the cyclops bulb plug and boot gave me much more room to get my hand in there. Doing this I was able to reach through the top with my other hand to help guide things in place.

I was and to do this without ever touching the bulbs and got everything buttoned back up. They are super bright.

So my big takeaway is to unplug and remove the boot of the cyclops light even if you are not changing it. Between that and the air filter it gave me the room I needed.

Overall it was not the PITA I was dreaming it would be after reading so many complain about it. You do it blind but it's not terrible. Just make sure when you put the boot back on that the three prongs of the bulb are coming through the hole. I kept missing one. Once I got it right they plugged up fairly easy.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biggest problem I had was getting the damn spring clip back on to hold the bulb in.
That was actually one of the easiest parts for me but I was imagining getting them back on was going to be tough blind. Happily I was wrong and they clipped back fine.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post this great info! I see this in the near future on my 2011. At the risk of sounding stupid (something I excel at), can you clarify that you used the above bulb for both the cyclops and the “normal” headlight? What about the high beam? Is that internal to the bulb, or is that yet another bulb?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
you used the above bulb for both the cyclops and the "normal" headlight? What about the high beam? Is that internal to the bulb, or is that yet another bulb?
So you have three bulbs on the Vision, two headlight bulbs, and one cyclops. The two headlight bulbs are dual filament meaning they are both hi and low beam in one bulb.

The cyclops light is a single filament and actually calls for a HS1 bulb, but the H4 will work..... It's just more than you need being a dual filament. (This has but been bright into question being the HS1 is a 35W and the H4 is a 55w. I haven't found it proven one way or they other if it being a problem but I ordered a proper HS1 bulb to be safe. Linked later in the thread.)

I changed all three to the same so they would all be the same color and brightness.

I'm also hoping this bulb in the cyclops will now be more useful. The bulb it came with just was not very bright so I hardly ever used it, only during rain or fog travel. The HID on my 08 is much brighter and therefore useful so I'm hoping my 13 will now be similar.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
So you have three bulbs on the Vision, two headlight bulbs, and one cyclops. The two headlight bulbs are dual filament meaning they are both hi and low beam in one bulb.

The cyclops light is a single filament and actually calls for a HS1 bulb, but the H4 will work..... It's just more than you need being a dual filament.

I changed all three to the same so they would all be the same color and brightness.

I'm also hoping this bulb in the cyclops will now be more useful. The bulb it came with just was not very bright so I hardly ever used it, only during rain or fog travel. The HID on my 08 is much brighter and therefore useful so I'm hoping my 13 will now be similar.
Thanks for the wright up Vic.

Hopefully I ask this correctly.

Isn't there a split in years for the cyclops light. My bike is a 2011 and it has the blue cyclops light and I think other years it is not.

Will the H4 work for all years?

I will probably do the same and change all three if one goes out.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the wright up Vic.

Hopefully I ask this correctly.

Isn't there a split in years for the cyclops light. My bike is a 2011 and it has the blue cyclops light and I think other years it is not.

Will the H4 work for all years?

I will probably do the same and change all three if one goes out.

Thanks again
Some years came with a HID bulb, like my 08. This is a picture of my 08 cyclops light. You can see it has a shroud to reflect the light out after being shot against the rear deflectors. My 13 cyclops light looks just like the headlight bulbs. I haven't replaced the cyclops in my 08 so I'm not sure what the cost of job will be. I hardly ever use them.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Water Style

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very encouraging write up. I had an 09, and the cyclops was AMAZING. I used it all the time.
You make me miss my big bike!
They really were good on the early bikes. My 08 makes a big difference on dark roads but being most of my night riding is in the big city there is plenty of other lights to pair with my headlights.... Which I have no complaints. It's by far the best headlight I've had on a bike.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Vision Headlight is really great once you get it adjusted right. I put a PIAA plasma bulb in the cyclops and it is way better than the halogen that was in before.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Vision Headlight is really great once you get it adjusted right. I put a PIAA plasma bulb in the cyclops and it is way better than the halogen that was in before.
Mine came high from the dealer and I was not impressed. Once I got it right I was very surprised by how good it is. It's the first bike I didn't want to or actually did add extra lights to.

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I thought the cyclops bulb was a 35watt. An H4 at 55 watts may produce some excess heat. I've read of melting headlight housings...
They didn't have a HS1 so I bought the H4 after reading that it would work.... But not thinking about wattage. I just checked the book and your are correct.

I'll do some checking to see if I can find anybody running a H4 and might just buy the HS1 to be safe. It's cheap on Amazon and I certainly don't need the cyclops like I do the headlights.

I can't seem to find anybody saying they did this in a Vision. Some other bikes did and dinner say that you could have problems but I'm not saying anybody say they really did.

It's a cheap bulb do I think I'll just buy the 35w to be safe. I would hate to replace a melted Vision headlight assembly because of it.

$11.55 on Amazon. Luckily it's the easiest to change so it's no big deal.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002301JR...abc_N7J1N418V2FM6TSC460V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Now I'll just hold that H4 until my 08 needs a set.

Good catch..... When you could have just let me be a unknowing product tester. Lol!

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still reading about the HS1 it seems most people don't find them in the local stores, so I'm not alone there. Amazon will have one to me some time this week. The other option is a dealer which they seem to take overcharge for it from what I'm reading.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The PIAA super plasma HS1 puts out light close to the HID unit and is made for motorcycles (vibration resistant) but it does cost 4X a std halogen bulb. Got mine onAmazon $41. Their advertising says it’s a purple light but it’s not, it’s just bright white.
I used Sylvania ZXE H4 bulbs for the headlights. They are also close to HID but again, not cheap, about $65 a pair. I have these on my truck too, best bulbs I have ever had.
It’s pitch black at night where I am, no street lights and lots of deer. The investment in better lights is worth it for the few times I need them.

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You did notice on the Ultra package to expect a shorter life span right?
I'm good with it. I run the same in my truck. I will take a shorter life for a brighter beam. They get some poor reviews on Amazon for burning out fast but I would like to know how many of those people finger fu(ked the bulb when they did their install getting oil on it? I've had them on a few vehicles now and have yet to have one burn out before trading it in. Being that I'm keeping this truck and bike I guess I'll get to see how long they last me. Having done it now I know I could do this in a Autozone parking lot if the stars align and both burn out at the same time at night. I suspect it will go about like it did this time and just one will burn out so I can get home.

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I used Sylvania ZXE H4 bulbs for the headlights. They are also close to HID but again, not cheap, about $65 a pair. I have these on my truck too, best bulbs I have ever had.
I was eyeballing those. Went with the Ultra not knowing if they were with the extra coin. I guess I'll try those next. I just put new bulbs in my truck a few months ago. Not because they burned out but just because they were old, originals in a 2010. I just wanted more light and was looking for a whiter light to match the led fog lights I installed..... That part didn't work out as they are still very yellow against them. With the little amount I drive my truck they should last me a long time.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put these in.
Autoone H4. Got em on Amazon. Fits well and leds are same position as halogen filliments. Barely affects radio reception and at night I have an even horz line of light that doesn't blind oncoming traffic.
With the size of my gorilla hands, I'm only doing this once.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.