VOG Forum banner

Vision Differences Over Time

Tags
changes
6K views 56 replies 15 participants last post by  Bikesofbrads 
#1 ·
Hello!

I don't have a Vision Tour, but strongly leaning towards one. Currently on an FJR1300. There have been four generations of FJRs. And minor changes and idiosyncracies within generations. As an example, any Gen 1 rear ABS is likely to be non-functioning. Early Gen 2 had touchy throttles. Early-mid Gen 2 had grounding issues. And so on.

I know ABS became standard in 2010 (except for white?). Is there a compiled list of changes and idiosyncracies over time for the Vision Tour? I've done a few searches but not finding anything like a simple list.

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
Looking for a Tour would be my suggestion and the newest possible. That will give you the latest tech and setup.

I have a 08 and a 13. When I got the 08 I knew it didn't have ABS and that it had the older trans but I was good with that. Riding them is really about the same. No big difference in the saddle.

It would probably be easier for you to show us what you are looking at and have us tell you about it. Or at least tell us what kind of riding you want to do and what equipment you like to have on them.

The big ones were in 11 with the changing of the trans.

13 ABS became standard for all Vision.

The early models had Powerlet sockets in the glovebox.

They can have either a iPod or 3.5 Aux cable connection for the stereo.

In I believe 2010 the cyclops light went from HID to halogen.

The early bikes had oblong bars and no mirror holes so you can not easily install a RAM ball like the later models. With being oblong they were also chrome and those bikes can have other chrome bits depending on the trim level.

#8 ·
Looking for a Tour would be my suggestion and the newest possible. That will give you the latest tech and setup.

I have a 08 and a 13. When I got the 08 I knew it didn't have ABS and that it had the older trans but I was good with that. Riding them is really about the same. No big difference in the saddle.

It would probably be easier for you to show us what you are looking at and have us tell you about it. Or at least tell us what kind of riding you want to do and what equipment you like to have on them.

The big ones were in 11 with the changing of the trans.

13 ABS became standard for all Vision.

The early models had Powerlet sockets in the glovebox.

They can have either a iPod or 3.5 Aux cable connection for the stereo.

In I believe 2010 the cyclops light went from HID to halogen.

The early bikes had oblong bars and no mirror holes so you can not easily install a RAM ball like the later models. With being oblong they were also chrome and those bikes can have other chrome bits depending on the trim level.
Agree with VVB, except my '09 has the mirror holes. I have a ram side and video side. Don't seem to use either but they're there. Yes on the oblong bars.
You'll love the Vision.
I always say it handles like a 650 but rides with the comfort of a couch. It truly is a pleasure and never disappoints. Riding 20+ winds in 40's last couple days and like nothing. Reds the fastest, so you know...:angel4:

#4 ·
Greetings Lud,
I haven't seen a list with every year upgrade but it might be out there somewhere.
Lots of great info here to be had.
2011 and newer have the newer transmission. Some say they can hear the difference and others don't.
Bottom line IMO, any year Vision that has been maintained properly would make a good bike for the right person. They are a heavy bike so that should be a consideration.

Good luck and welcome.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...year-launch/&usg=AOvVaw2fiOdVow8XdOMFMuT5_-Q6

#5 ·
You don't have one yet but......

Unsolicited, and probably unwanted, but hey
1. Lower deflectors, good for cold, great for heat, let them sit for 12 hours before use & trust the 3M tape. Good Luck on the wait. Look around on eBay but this has become a unicorn part to find.

2. Don't trust your kickstand, check it twice. No switch or positive down position, but it is designed to retract if you touch it down while in motion.

3. Trust your tip over (TO) points, IF YOU HAVE THEM, use them, instead of a foot or ankle to catch a falling Vision. GET your feet up quick when you move from a stop, TOs run on ankle blood.

4. Place a foot on your floorboard and jiggle the bike while gassing up, and take your time. It takes a bit to fill both tanks.

5. Replace your horn or get loud pipes, this thing is fast and nimble, but cagers attack it for no reason. Jealous or hypnotized, who knows, but they steer right toward you.

6. Don't ever take off the trunk unless you are OK storing it forever. Rides almost like a different bike without it.

7. Stay off your front brakes below 5 mph, and pay attention in parking lots. The fuel tanks are forward and low: great for the twisties, but takes some getting used to.

8. If you remove the trunk or drop test the TOs you are honor bound to tell us. It makes those of us who have tested them more than once feel better....so I hear.

9. If you take any of the above advice and it turns out badly, blame yourself, I am not to be trusted.

10. Make sure you lube any mechanical control points routinely, but do not oil cables, it tears up the interior Teflon.

11. Once you have leaned that thing as far as you think is safe in a sweeper, keep going if you haven't heard the floorboards scrape. It's lean angle is just ridiculous for a 900+ lb bike.

12. Practice using our Forum Search feature. It works wells, saves tons of repetition, and avoids snarky-smart-alec answers like I sometimes offer.

#6 ·
Welcome and I agree with what VVB said. Buy a Tour version and the newest one you can find.

these are great bikes and you will be happy with whatever you choose.

Reactions: Ludwig61
#7 ·
Can’t go wrong with a Victory, even those Jetson versions, the pilots are the Monks of Marque. A ton of help on ownership when you need it and that is rare except upgrades...

Welcome and stay away from the political threads and there are only a couple and rest pure knowledge on various items from oil to trinkets.

#9 · (Edited)
08 is the only year that won't accept reverse.

Maximus tuner will not work on some 08s.

Not only was the early headlight cyclops light HID, it has a projector lense, making it much more effective.

ABS was optional in 2010. I don't think 8Balls ever came with ABS. My 08 doesn't have ABS, it's has to be cold (really trying hard) before I can lockup the rear wheel since switching to Avon Cobras.

Side emblem lights and saddlebag shocks when away around 2012 and the accent colored trim panels went from tin to plastic.

The 2011 Trans upgrade (neural select) makes more noise 1-2 shift than the earlier Trans.

An 8Ball didn’t come with the hydraulic clutch, rear tipovers, radio or powered windshield.

Many of the Ness bikes came with the "low" seat. While it lowers you behind the windscreen it does nothing to help the vertically challenged legs reach the ground. And the real down side to the low seat is comfort, bar hopper seat only, 100-150 miles at beast before one's tailbone is on fire.

#11 ·
@normthenomad - :lol: What? No tire threads? I always find my search deficiencies boil down to not being able to think of multiple ways to say the same thing. The "Vision Tour - Year to Year Differences?" seems like the go-to one as it gets closer to the full time range than the others.

@VicVisionBulldog - I'm an ABS snob, so that makes the more recent years the most likely. Was never thinking of anything but a Tour. I'll miss the HID, though. Unless it requires regular bulb changes. I really don't understand about lower deflectors being an advantage in the heat. Advantages in the heat are important as I live in San Antonio (and grew up 2 miles west of the Galleria, my mom lives near the Astrodome). And I can't find where in my Profile I can add my location, Mr. Moderator...

@Deltaflash - I can hear the difference between my two FJRs - 2005 straight-cut, 2016 helical - so I'd expect to hear a difference with the VVT. All the VVTs I see are CycleTrader, and mostly dealer, which normally means no maintenance trail.

@md2420 - latest model is the default.

@Flyboy - Ownership help is what will keep me in these forums!

@BrotherWind - I haven't seen any ABS models that far back recently on CycleTrader. But mirror holes might be preferable to me over bar clamps, anyway.

@jmstang302 - Reverse is something I was hoping for. Looks like kits are getting scarce, in spite of Polaris' 10 year parts promise. ABS is a requirement to me after it saving my bacon a few times. And having a failed rear ABS leading to a very slow high side (bike slid about 18") that left me with a broken clavicle for almost 9 months. I'm 6' with a 34" inseam, so a lowered seat would worry me.

@39_chev - 2011 does sound like a sweet spot. And it has been my minimum year in CycleTrader searches.

Additional info - My source for "for sale" motorcycles is CycleTrader. Standard search is Victory, Vision, 2011 and later. I expect to put less than 10K on a VVT per year, as I'll also be riding a 2016 FJR1300ES (getting painted). I figure the 106 engine must have been proven good to 100K by now, or I'd have heard something about mileage being important. Most of my riding is commuting, about a dozen miles each way at highway-speeds-plus. I also regularly help out at bicycle charity events as a motorcycle marshal around half a dozen times a year. I expect to start doing more weekend riding (local GWRRA) and take one or two longish trips (3500+ miles in a week) a year, going forward. I like the looks of a VVT, swoopy Art Deco and anti-Harley. It looks like a great 2-up bike, much better than an FJR. My wife won't ride, but my eldest granddaughter is getting old enough...

#15 ·
I'm an ABS snob, so that makes the more recent years the most likely. Was never thinking of anything but a Tour. I'll miss the HID, though. Unless it requires regular bulb changes. I really don't understand about lower deflectors being an advantage in the heat. Advantages in the heat are important as I live in San Antonio (and grew up 2 miles west of the Galleria, my mom lives near the Astrodome). And I can't find where in my Profile I can add my location, Mr. Moderator...
The wind protection on the Vision is ridiculous. So much so that in the summer you get cooked. The lowers allow you to direct air directly in to you and they blast you. It's like you removed the fairing all together if you drop the windshield and turn in your lowers. I held out for a long time in them but my first ride with them I felt like an idiot for waiting.

Try to find a bike with them because they are extremely hard to find. We have a source for metal replacement blades but not for the mounts.

PS- they direct water just like they do air. Don't ride in high water with your lowers turned in. You can probably guess how I know.

As to you location go to the top of the page and click your name. This will get you a drop down. Click "personal details." In there scroll down and you will see a box marked "location."

#12 ·
You could also try these outlets:

Craigslist
LetGo
OfferUp
Facebook Marketplace (I hear there are a few buy/sell groups, but don’t do the faces, so idk)

We have a few folks in TX, so maybe they can help keep an eye out as well.

#14 · (Edited)
I haven't ridden a later model than my 2009 with strait cut tranny gears and there's no cosmetic difference to my knowledge. The biggest thing is the mileage interval between oil changes doubles from 2500 to 5000 miles, of course you can change your oil whenever you choose but going by 'the book' it could be a cost savings over your ownership period.

btw, studies have shown that the color ice blue has the lowest drag coefficient thereby creating the fastest color.
These bikes love a car tire in the back also...:ride:

Blue is faster than red, cause science

#16 ·
I agree with VVB on the lowers. They make a huge difference with the heat, cold, and rain. I held out getting them for about a year because of looks but function won me over. The original ones are almost impossible to find but Baker Built Wings offers them along with another gentleman on Facebook. You see his lowers on eBay sometimes. Good luck with the hunt.

#18 · (Edited)
I couldn't imagine riding in 80° Temps without the lowers, my bike has been tuned which helps with engine heat too.

As to the 10 year deal, that didn't apply to accessories. There are some body panels that have become extinct as well. HMD520 is currently making the trunk delete panel and the belly panel. They also make several custom bits for stereo mods and more.

#19 ·
My wife has approved me having two motorcycles long-term (I currently have a 2005 FJR and a 2016 replacement FJR which I'm trying to get painted). So I need to sell my 2005 FJR before I can buy a Vision. I have an event on 11/20 where I should be riding. I don't think I can sell it, purchase a Vision, and have the Vision shipped here by then. So I'll sell the 2005 after Thanksgiving. Once the 2005 FJR is sold, it will be shopping time!

#20 ·
Naturally, I forgot there is one possibility for a quicker resolution - a reasonably local dealer might take my 2005 FJR in trade. If that is the case, there is a 2013 Vision at Dream Machines of Texas (Dallas area) for $10950. The rear right saddlebag has an interesting crack. How would one get that crack? Makes me think I should really examine that area. Not sure I like TO mounted highway pegs. Seems like landing on them might damage the TOs...

Thoughts?

Or fly somewhere and ride back. Seems more rushed than safe...

What would "Tour Premium" mean for a 2015? I see the area forward of the engine is chrome instead of black. A nicer rear brake pedal. Different exhaust tips. Not sure what is trim and what is after-market...

#22 ·
I don't think I'd pay $10.9 for a Vision. I've seen them much cheaper. They would have to come down for me to pull the trigger.

That crack is actually not the door. That a trim piece that pops off to take off the trunk or change the rear bulbs. Not sure how you'd crack it though.

Overall that bike is stock with exceptions for the lowers and the front running lights.

#23 ·
Veebs, you forgot to mention the tank sticker still being on the bike.

there are a couple of additional add-ons you didn’t mention.
- OEM highway pegs
- Gatlin exhaust tips
- GPS mount
- Headlight protector

that being said, I still agree…would not spend that much on a Vision. You should be able to get it cheaper.

OP, if you like this one, see how much the dealer is willing to negotiate. They typically get used inventory for 1/2 of their sticker price. So they likely only paid $5 or $6k for it. If you can get them down to $9k or maybe $9500? Of course, then there’s the discussion around all of the fees. Is that an “out the door” price?

#24 ·
Veebs, you forgot to mention the tank sticker still being on the bike.
I was trying to block it out.

there are a couple of additional add-ons you didn't mention.
- OEM highway pegs
- Gatlin exhaust tips
- GPS mount
- Headlight protector
I forgot to say about those pegs in the boards. OP, those are Victory and the board mostly comes into contact with the grind on curves and tip over on the back half. They will be fine and the bike can fall as it's designed. If you don't like them we can help you get some Hatch pegs.

Then I almost mentioned the headlight protector but didn't. OP, I have one on each bike. The headlight assembly is not cheap and taking a rock to it can crack it break it. I took a heavy shot in one in my shields and it worked great. Some don't care for how they look but I think they're hair noticable. Did you notice it?

The the tips and GPS I put no value in so I'm not paying for them or figuring them into the value of the bike.

Reactions: md2420
#25 ·
I certainly don't want to overpay. But I'm not sure that current market prices are what you think they should be. When I took my 2016 FJR in for a factory recall in March, the dealer had no bikes for sale. When I picked it up he had 3 bikes. Pre-pandemic they'd have at least 40. Two year old used cars are selling for new car prices. My 2005 FJR in fair condition with 120K is supposedly worth almost 3K as a trade-in! Lack of supply means higher prices.

Prices may drop back to "normal" in a year or so. I'm not inclined to wait that long. If someone wants to sell at the "old" normal price, I'd be happy to buy.

#27 ·
09 with ABS at $7.8K. Has the passenger backrest and closeout panel. The backrest I have seen go for over $500 alone.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Victory-VISION-TOUR-5018364979

Very clean 2016 for $11k. I would offer 9K and hope he takes $9.5K. It is all blacked out if you like that.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Victory-Vision-5017999841

2015 that also looks very clean for $9.5K. I think this guy has it priced well and in the range I would expect.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2015-Victory-VISION-TOUR-5018364188

This one looks like a great deal if they have the trunk. I do not recall the Street coming in white so the trunk should be somewhere in that garage.
2014 with only 5.5k miles for $7.5K.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Victory-VISION-5018375830

There are many out there.

2013 for just under $10k with 21K miles.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Victory-Vision-Tour-5017566344

2011 with 23K miles for just under $9k with ABS.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-Victory-Vision-Tour-5018222834

2014 with 10k miles for $10K.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Victory-VISION-TOUR-5018256675

#29 ·
I don't think I'd pay $10.9 for a Vision. I've seen them much cheaper. They would have to come down for me to pull the trigger.

That crack is actually not the door. That a trim piece that pops off to take off the trunk or change the rear bulbs. Not sure how you'd crack it though.

Overall that bike is stock with exceptions for the lowers and the front running lights.
I just picked up a 2013 Sunset red vision with 12,000 miles for $7,500. I love this bike!! My first Victory and now I am hooked!

#33 ·
#34 ·
Ok, so Cycletrader isn't all crazy prices. The $10.9K has the advantage of being "local" and likely to take my 2005 FJR as a trade. KBB on a 2013 is $9.3K, so $10.9K is definitely high. I'd be willing to ride my 2005 FJR a thousand miles if it meant a trade in, assuming the Vision has plenty of tread for the return trip.

I insist on having ABS. Do all bikes after 2011 have ABS? Or could you still choose to get a Vision without ABS? I don't see it listed in some ads (I see one 2016 stating "Not Equipped") and don't see the label on the bike at the rear of the engine, near the . . . starter? But I see bikes with ABS in the description and no label near the starter (see below)...

I want the 5000 mile service interval. So I that means 2011 or later.

I'd prefer a Vision with the lower wind deflectors. I'd prefer clear, as I may have the bike repainted yellow and blue. But I could have them painted, too. I see new black deflectors on eBay for ~$300.

I'd prefer a clear windshield as I regularly ride in the dark. I'm betting a clear replacement for a dark windshield isn't difficult to find, though.

The cheapest that looks to meet my criteria other than being local is a blue 2012 Premium (chrome) with 32K miles for $8.8K. I don't see an ABS label on the bike, but it is in the description. 32K miles doesn't bother me if these are normally good to 100K. I'm amused that one of the pics has a 2009 Vision with sidecar AND a 2012 FJR in the background. It doesn't hurt that blue is my favorite color. But it would hurt to paint over the chrome. And I have to sell my current bike before buying one that needs shipping. So given my time constraints - must have a bike I trust on 11/20 - I'll have to wait on this one till after Thanksgiving. I don't think I can sell my 2005 quickly enough for a proper price, then buy this one and arrange shipping, to have this Vision here by the 15th so I can ride it enough to be confident/comfortable on the 20th. I've agreed to only two bikes in the garage and my 2016 FJR isn't going anywhere soon...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.