Vision Differences Over Time | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Vision Differences Over Time

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by Ludwig61, Oct 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ludwig61

Ludwig61 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Vision Tour
    Hello!

I don't have a Vision Tour, but strongly leaning towards one. Currently on an FJR1300. There have been four generations of FJRs. And minor changes and idiosyncracies within generations. As an example, any Gen 1 rear ABS is likely to be non-functioning. Early Gen 2 had touchy throttles. Early-mid Gen 2 had grounding issues. And so on.

I know ABS became standard in 2010 (except for white?). Is there a compiled list of changes and idiosyncracies over time for the Vision Tour? I've done a few searches but not finding anything like a simple list.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Welcome to the Vog.
    Vast storehouse of knowledge, weird oil threads and some really strange political discussions that keep a small number amused.
    There'll be a herd of Vision owners along directly.
    In the meantime there are some older threads about the changes at the bottom of this page.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Looking for a Tour would be my suggestion and the newest possible. That will give you the latest tech and setup.

I have a 08 and a 13. When I got the 08 I knew it didn't have ABS and that it had the older trans but I was good with that. Riding them is really about the same. No big difference in the saddle.

It would probably be easier for you to show us what you are looking at and have us tell you about it. Or at least tell us what kind of riding you want to do and what equipment you like to have on them.

The big ones were in 11 with the changing of the trans.

13 ABS became standard for all Vision.

The early models had Powerlet sockets in the glovebox.

They can have either a iPod or 3.5 Aux cable connection for the stereo.

In I believe 2010 the cyclops light went from HID to halogen.

The early bikes had oblong bars and no mirror holes so you can not easily install a RAM ball like the later models. With being oblong they were also chrome and those bikes can have other chrome bits depending on the trim level.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Deltaflash

Deltaflash Well-Known Member

Vision, Vrod, Vstrom
    Greetings Lud,
    I haven't seen a list with every year upgrade but it might be out there somewhere.
    Lots of great info here to be had.
    2011 and newer have the newer transmission. Some say they can hear the difference and others don't.
    Bottom line IMO, any year Vision that has been maintained properly would make a good bike for the right person. They are a heavy bike so that should be a consideration.

Good luck and welcome.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...year-launch/&usg=AOvVaw2fiOdVow8XdOMFMuT5_-Q6

• Like Like x 2
  5. VicVisionBulldog

You don't have one yet but......

Unsolicited, and probably unwanted, but hey
    1. Lower deflectors, good for cold, great for heat, let them sit for 12 hours before use & trust the 3M tape. Good Luck on the wait. Look around on eBay but this has become a unicorn part to find.

2. Don't trust your kickstand, check it twice. No switch or positive down position, but it is designed to retract if you touch it down while in motion.

3. Trust your tip over (TO) points, IF YOU HAVE THEM, use them, instead of a foot or ankle to catch a falling Vision. GET your feet up quick when you move from a stop, TOs run on ankle blood.

4. Place a foot on your floorboard and jiggle the bike while gassing up, and take your time. It takes a bit to fill both tanks.

5. Replace your horn or get loud pipes, this thing is fast and nimble, but cagers attack it for no reason. Jealous or hypnotized, who knows, but they steer right toward you.

6. Don't ever take off the trunk unless you are OK storing it forever. Rides almost like a different bike without it.

7. Stay off your front brakes below 5 mph, and pay attention in parking lots. The fuel tanks are forward and low: great for the twisties, but takes some getting used to.

8. If you remove the trunk or drop test the TOs you are honor bound to tell us. It makes those of us who have tested them more than once feel better....so I hear.

9. If you take any of the above advice and it turns out badly, blame yourself, I am not to be trusted.

10. Make sure you lube any mechanical control points routinely, but do not oil cables, it tears up the interior Teflon.

11. Once you have leaned that thing as far as you think is safe in a sweeper, keep going if you haven't heard the floorboards scrape. It's lean angle is just ridiculous for a 900+ lb bike.

12. Practice using our Forum Search feature. It works wells, saves tons of repetition, and avoids snarky-smart-alec answers like I sometimes offer.

• Like Like x 5
  6. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Welcome and I agree with what VVB said. Buy a Tour version and the newest one you can find.

these are great bikes and you will be happy with whatever you choose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Victory Boardwalk
    Can’t go wrong with a Victory, even those Jetson versions, the pilots are the Monks of Marque. A ton of help on ownership when you need it and that is rare except upgrades...

Welcome and stay away from the political threads and there are only a couple and rest pure knowledge on various items from oil to trinkets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    Agree with VVB, except my '09 has the mirror holes. I have a ram side and video side. Don't seem to use either but they're there. Yes on the oblong bars.
    You'll love the Vision.
    I always say it handles like a 650 but rides with the comfort of a couch. It truly is a pleasure and never disappoints. Riding 20+ winds in 40's last couple days and like nothing. Reds the fastest, so you know...:angel4:

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    08 is the only year that won't accept reverse.

Maximus tuner will not work on some 08s.

Not only was the early headlight cyclops light HID, it has a projector lense, making it much more effective.

ABS was optional in 2010. I don't think 8Balls ever came with ABS. My 08 doesn't have ABS, it's has to be cold (really trying hard) before I can lockup the rear wheel since switching to Avon Cobras.

Side emblem lights and saddlebag shocks when away around 2012 and the accent colored trim panels went from tin to plastic.

The 2011 Trans upgrade (neural select) makes more noise 1-2 shift than the earlier Trans.

An 8Ball didn’t come with the hydraulic clutch, rear tipovers, radio or powered windshield.

Many of the Ness bikes came with the "low" seat. While it lowers you behind the windscreen it does nothing to help the vertically challenged legs reach the ground. And the real down side to the low seat is comfort, bar hopper seat only, 100-150 miles at beast before one's tailbone is on fire.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 39_chev

39_chev Active Member

2011 Vision Silver/Black
    Cyclops light was still HID in 2011. 2012 it went to halogen.

I think 2011 Tours were about the nicest Visions. HID cyclops, ABS standard, lighted side markers, new trans, multi-pin Ipod control and charging, etc. I used to have a 2011, now have a 2012. I do like the solid color of the 2012 better though...

Good Luck!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ludwig61

Ludwig61 Member

2011 Vision Tour
    @normthenomad - :lol: What? No tire threads? I always find my search deficiencies boil down to not being able to think of multiple ways to say the same thing. The "Vision Tour - Year to Year Differences?" seems like the go-to one as it gets closer to the full time range than the others.

@VicVisionBulldog - I'm an ABS snob, so that makes the more recent years the most likely. Was never thinking of anything but a Tour. I'll miss the HID, though. Unless it requires regular bulb changes. I really don't understand about lower deflectors being an advantage in the heat. Advantages in the heat are important as I live in San Antonio (and grew up 2 miles west of the Galleria, my mom lives near the Astrodome). And I can't find where in my Profile I can add my location, Mr. Moderator...

@Deltaflash - I can hear the difference between my two FJRs - 2005 straight-cut, 2016 helical - so I'd expect to hear a difference with the VVT. All the VVTs I see are CycleTrader, and mostly dealer, which normally means no maintenance trail.

@md2420 - latest model is the default.

@Flyboy - Ownership help is what will keep me in these forums!

@BrotherWind - I haven't seen any ABS models that far back recently on CycleTrader. But mirror holes might be preferable to me over bar clamps, anyway.

@jmstang302 - Reverse is something I was hoping for. Looks like kits are getting scarce, in spite of Polaris' 10 year parts promise. ABS is a requirement to me after it saving my bacon a few times. And having a failed rear ABS leading to a very slow high side (bike slid about 18") that left me with a broken clavicle for almost 9 months. I'm 6' with a 34" inseam, so a lowered seat would worry me.

@39_chev - 2011 does sound like a sweet spot. And it has been my minimum year in CycleTrader searches.

Additional info - My source for "for sale" motorcycles is CycleTrader. Standard search is Victory, Vision, 2011 and later. I expect to put less than 10K on a VVT per year, as I'll also be riding a 2016 FJR1300ES (getting painted). I figure the 106 engine must have been proven good to 100K by now, or I'd have heard something about mileage being important. Most of my riding is commuting, about a dozen miles each way at highway-speeds-plus. I also regularly help out at bicycle charity events as a motorcycle marshal around half a dozen times a year. I expect to start doing more weekend riding (local GWRRA) and take one or two longish trips (3500+ miles in a week) a year, going forward. I like the looks of a VVT, swoopy Art Deco and anti-Harley. It looks like a great 2-up bike, much better than an FJR. My wife won't ride, but my eldest granddaughter is getting old enough...

• Like Like x 2
  12. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    You could also try these outlets:

Craigslist
    LetGo
    OfferUp
    Facebook Marketplace (I hear there are a few buy/sell groups, but don’t do the faces, so idk)

We have a few folks in TX, so maybe they can help keep an eye out as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Victory Boardwalk
    Like anything mechanical start with the best you can afford...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. eotsis1

eotsis1 Active Member

2009 victory vision
    I haven't ridden a later model than my 2009 with strait cut tranny gears and there's no cosmetic difference to my knowledge. The biggest thing is the mileage interval between oil changes doubles from 2500 to 5000 miles, of course you can change your oil whenever you choose but going by 'the book' it could be a cost savings over your ownership period.

btw, studies have shown that the color ice blue has the lowest drag coefficient thereby creating the fastest color.
    These bikes love a car tire in the back also...:ride:

Blue is faster than red, cause science

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. VicVisionBulldog

The wind protection on the Vision is ridiculous. So much so that in the summer you get cooked. The lowers allow you to direct air directly in to you and they blast you. It's like you removed the fairing all together if you drop the windshield and turn in your lowers. I held out for a long time in them but my first ride with them I felt like an idiot for waiting.

Try to find a bike with them because they are extremely hard to find. We have a source for metal replacement blades but not for the mounts.

PS- they direct water just like they do air. Don't ride in high water with your lowers turned in. You can probably guess how I know.

As to you location go to the top of the page and click your name. This will get you a drop down. Click "personal details." In there scroll down and you will see a box marked "location."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1