VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way back from my latest trip on my Vision I noticed the battery light came on when I started the bike after a fuel stop. I then noticed that the voltage was at about 12 volts unless I was revving at least 2,500 rpm at which point it rose to about 12.5 volts.

I was still a couple of hours away from home so I turned off the HID light and the radio since I noticed that they were dropping the voltage. Luckily I didn't have to many stops and I was able to keep the RPM up high enough to keep the battery alive until I got home. However, this morning there wasn't enough charge left to start the bike. I have since confirmed that the battery is fine and that the charging system is not able to cope with even the minimum load (lights and ignition) unless it's revving at least 2,500. Any additional load and the voltage drops to 12 volts or less regardless of RPM.

I doubt that it's the kind of problem I can easily fix myself but I thought I'd ask the group in case someone has experienced this problem. My dealer's mechanic is on vacation which means I'll be sidelined for the upcoming Labour Day weekend unless there's an easy fix.

Any thoughts?

Rick

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had a somewhat simmilar happening last year. It turned out to be the stator had cooked off the regulator and the battery. The easiest way to check is the leads going into the regulator and then out and all connections you can find. warranty ended up replacing my stator, regulator battery. I have had no problems since. The difference is that my volts went down and then way up. The actual repair is not that hard if you are off warranty. It took about three hours start to finish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information Rocketman. Looks like I won't be riding this weekend. Actually, it will give me a chance to catch up on chores. I've been riding every chance I get (18,000 kms since April) and as a result I've fallen behind on some things.

I have a 5 year warranty so I'm not worried about the repair.

BTW: When should I be thinking about replacing tires? They both look fine to me but I ran into a BMW rider over the weekend and he was surprised that I hadn't yet replaced the rear tire..

·
Registered
73 Posts
rickmc said:
Thanks for the information Rocketman. Looks like I won't be riding this weekend. Actually, it will give me a chance to catch up on chores. I've been riding every chance I get (18,000 kms since April) and as a result I've fallen behind on some things.

I have a 5 year warranty so I'm not worried about the repair.

BTW: When should I be thinking about replacing tires? They both look fine to me but I ran into a BMW rider over the weekend and he was surprised that I hadn't yet replaced the rear tire..
Check your wear bars in the tread grooves. Make sure you check them all the way around the tire. If your into the wear bars, it's time to replace...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
18,000 Kms and no tires???? I need to know your secret!
08 Vision, I replaced front and back this winter, and just did another set last week with only 16,000 Kms on the clock. I had plenty of rubber, but both front and rear were scalloped or cupped, whichever description you prefer.
Tell tale was the tire noise on highway turns and the loss of traction, (bike stepping out sideways) on high speed turns........not a pleasant feeling. I had also noticed it was getting squirrelly in the rain.

I'm running 42 and 40 psi now instead of the recommended 40 and 38

so in 43,000 Kms, I'm on my 3rd front and 4th rear

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Candubrain said:
18,000 Kms and no tires???? I need to know your secret!
08 Vision, I replaced front and back this winter, and just did another set last week with only 16,000 Kms on the clock. I had plenty of rubber, but both front and rear were scalloped or cupped, whichever description you prefer.
Tell tale was the tire noise on highway turns and the loss of traction, (bike stepping out sideways) on high speed turns........not a pleasant feeling. I had also noticed it was getting squirrelly in the rain.

I'm running 42 and 40 psi now instead of the recommended 40 and 38

so in 43,000 Kms, I'm on my 3rd front and 4th rear
Brian,
Runing 36 f - 41 r rear 22,500 km still on first set. (09 Kingpin -200 lbs than Vision)
What is the max rating for your tires?
OT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.