VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started by painting the rear trim down are the rear bottom of the bike. Then painted the dash and gauge bezel. What a huge improvement on looks and glare.
I had wanted to powder coat it all in Gloss Black but learned that plastic cannot be powdercoated, (but it can be chromed) because of the 400 degree curing process. When I removed the front "V" brushed panel on the front of the Vision above the headlight, I saw that the brackets were actually "glued" on. I thought this would prevent having it powdercoated.
But, to my surprise, I learned that that "glue" holding on the bracketw would survive the powdercoating process! So I took all my silver brushed panels off, and trotted down to a highly recommended powdercoat shop here in W Phx and turned him loose. I picked the parts (dash, front panel, side panels and ft wheel opening trim, 6 pieces total) today and was I amazed! No orange peel (as I expected) and each piece is finished, front and back in a black gloss w/ clearcoat (powdercoat) finish that is nearly bulletproof. Each piece looks like black glass.
The only piece I haven't done is the side wraps around the sides of the engine that has the Victory Logo light. They are the most difficult to remove, but I actually like them silver. If I change my mind, they're coming off and getting done as well.
I'm thrilled with the powdercoat shop, and the price for the 6 panels= $90. When done, I'll post pics. Re-assembling tonite. SP

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
This I need to see! Pictures please.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Very cool Whinecooler, Slowly but surely im doing the same thing. Ive done the dash the instrument bezel and the front V all in gloss black. Over the winter the bike really comes apart for work.
What color is your bike?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

My Vision is Black. I had already disassembled and removed the rear seat handles and had them painted. It's quite a chore but worth it. Anything plastic has to be painted.
Yes, I was blown away at the cost of powdercoating. And the quality at this shop is far superior to that which I had used for my chopper. This is like glass. No orange peel or fish eyes. They said they sand blast each part for smoothest finish, absolute cleanliness and finish retention.
When I had the dash painted, it was just ok. But since I was doing all the tins, I included it for the powdercoat. I am so glad I did.
While I've had it apart, I also added LED Strips at the mirrors for rear facing turn indicators. and, changed the license plate bulb to LED White. At reassembly, I'll be adding LED lighting in the engine bay area too. Switched off the available switch right side of dash. Got to get it all back together for the Sunday HA ride here in N PHX.
Next, I'll be taking the rear seat back rest (which I use when the trunk is off) and have it's chrome frame black gloss powdercoated as well.
I promise, pics to follow.
Thanks for the enthusiasm. I appreciate it guys! SP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.