Virginia State Police - Ride 2 Save Lives Free Motorcycle Assessment Course, Sat. July 25th | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Virginia State Police - Ride 2 Save Lives Free Motorcycle Assessment Course, Sat. July 25th

Discussion in 'South East Victory Owners' started by Army Tanker, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Army Tanker

Army Tanker Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Virginia State Police - Ride 2 Save Lives Free Motorcycle Assessment Course (Slow-Speed) Saturday July 25th, 9 AM to 2 PM
    I hope I do better this year than I did last year. I really would like to stop duck-walking my bike at slow speed.
    The exercises include tight figure-8s, threshold braking from various speeds and with quick escapes, cone weaves and very offset cone weaves, and full turn-lock 90° turns from a complete stop. All challenging, slow-speed stuff (accept the threshold braking), but lots of fun! For me, the hardest exercises are the tight figure-8s, the very offset cone weaves, and the full turn-lock 90° turns from a complete stop.

FREE - Ride 2 Save Lives Motorcycle Assessment Course - July 25, 2020 (MORTON'S IN FREDERICKSBURG)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    When I took our motors course the Iron Cross took me some practice to figure out my entry and exit points. That is some fun stuff though.

3. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    I would like to take a course like that, but am too much of a chicken sh!t when it comes to putting my clutch on the line. 95k miles and counting. :)

4. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

That is impressive.

It is usually not a problem if you are doing it correctly and the instructors will tell you if you don't. No clutch problems when I did it but I did need new rear brake pads half way through.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

I should have added ours was 5 full days.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Army Tanker

Likely going to practice in a parking lot with cones sometime this upcoming weekend. I'm not very good at slow speed skills.

It would be nice to take a slow speed skills class similar to "Motoman" Jerry Palladino's Ride Like a Pro sort of stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  7. torchred

torchred Member

2015 Magnum
    @Army Tanker , I may join you. I REALLY need to work on the slow speed stuff. You going to work on it in the Fort Lee area? If so, hit me up. I just registered for the event so I definitely need to practice.

8. Army Tanker

@torchred , glad you registered for the event. Looking forward to meeting you if you are taking the same event on Saturday July 25th. As far as practicing this weekend sometime, though I don't know which day it'll be yet, it will likely be somewhere in the Manassas area, or near Manassas somewhere.

9. Army Tanker

I plan to practice slow speed stuff with cones tomorrow morning, Saturday July 18th, at the George Mason University Science and Technology Campus in Manassas, Virginia. It's not going to be pretty - my slow speed skills are pretty bad. Still, it'll be good to practice some slow speed stuff this weekend before the actual event next weekend with the state motor officers.

When I took this course last year, two riders dropped their bikes: a Harley bagger rider and a Goldwing rider. I would prefer not dropping my bike during tomorrow's practice nor next weekend's event. That said, though, I think I have dropped my bike roughly four times doing slow speed stuff in the four years that I have owned my Cross Country Tour, so it wouldn't be the first time I dumped my bike at parking lot speeds.

There is definitely an art to counterbalancing through slow speed tight turns while feathering the clutch to moderate speed, dragging the rear brake, keeping the throttle steady and constant, and looking way over your shoulder towards where you want to go. Sometimes the urge to look down at the ground near your front tire is strong, but look down, then likely go down (likely drop the bike). Or worse, touch the front brake lever at slow speed (or abruptly cut the throttle), especially while turning tightly, then likely go down (likely drop the bike). Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.

Also during last year's event, the one thing I could not do was the full handlebar turn-lock 90° turn from a complete stop. That maneuver kicked my @$$. I rode through and knocked over so many traffic cones trying to do that tight turn maneuver that people might have thought it was open hunting season on traffic cones. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. torchred

torchred Member

2015 Magnum
    How'd it go? I'm going to go out tonight and tomorrow morning to get some more work in. Hope your practice went well.

11. Army Tanker

Hope your practice goes well tonight and tomorrow morning.

My practice was ok this morning. We did the tight figure-8s and the offset cone weaves before the high heat kicked-in.

Concerning the tight figure-8s, while I could manage the tight turns outside of the 20-foot cone, I couldn't manage turning inside of the 20-foot cone. I started over-thinking the technique and had trouble keeping my speed down and my pace steady and smooth. But I didn't drop my bike, so that was a good thing. I don't feel confident counterbalancing my bike to the inside of the turn and sitting high on the outside of the seat. I need to practice that more. A buddy who rides a Kawasaki 1000 Versys dual-sport bike is pretty good, and he was able to turn inside the 20-foot cone seemingly pretty easily.

Concerning the very offset cone weave, I did ok with that. A couple of times I got target-fixated and stared at a near-cone as I rode near it, causing me to roll over it (you go where you look). But after that, I was able to fix things by looking up and way over my shoulder to where I wanted to go. After practicing the tight figure-8s, the very offset cone weave just seemed like a series of slightly larger figure-8s.

I didn't attempt to do the full turn-lock 90° turn from a complete stop. Rather, I just laughed about the number of cones I will likely run over while trying to do that exercise.

Hope you have a good practice session.

12. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    It's cool to see riders taking a interest in this kind of stuff, I first got hooked on it back in 2010 at the VMC meet in Prescott, AZ. They had a couple of guys there demoing what the Vic Police Bikes could do. For some reason I needed to learn how to do that.

Moving forward my wife found and signed me up for my first class with the Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team. I was pretty cocky going in and they quickly had my Vision (that had never been down) laying on it's side. When that happens to some riders, they quit and don't come back, but for me it had the opposite affect. Since then I have taken every class I can find.

Being a competitive type I started entering a few competitions, I did fairly well and maybe got a little cocky again. I ventured from AZ over to TX and entered a Police/Civilian competition and got my ass handed to me. Well back to the drawing board and more practice, went back the next year and won the speed section of the competition. (on the civilian side)

I am now a member of the Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team and we are still doing free classes several times a year. Most of what we teach is similar to what you would get from the Ride Like a Pro classes though we will try to match it to whatever the riders skill level is. Our classes are usually small enough that we can break the groups down based on bikes and skill levels to provide the best level of instruction.

Chasing cones is fun but probably a couple of things that will save your life are braking and learning a proper swerve. Many riders think that just because they have anti-lock brakes everything is good. Learning to modulate that brake (both front and rear) can and will make a huge difference in stopping distance. Combine braking and scrubbing off speed with a good swerve many accidents that riders get into could easily have been prevented.

If you are looking for exercises, Conepatterns.com is a good resource. You may have to modify some of them to get a Vic through though. One very good exercise I found on there and now use in my classes is the bowtie. It's basically a figure 8 without outside boarders and only takes a few cones to set up. If you are on Facebook you may want to check out National Civilian Motorcycle Competition Network, Bucks Funday, (Denver based) Huck's cone Killing, Motorcycle Skills USA, and Arizona Coneheads.

Keep up the classes and practice, good luck.

I'm heading out to practice....

• Like Like x 2
  13. Army Tanker

How was your practice session, @torchred ?

14. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

Just Friday a younger officer that recently bought a HD Sportster was talking about selling it and wanting to get something with a bigger tank and ABS. He and the other officer he was talking to were both going on about ABS. I just sat there thinking I can't remember ever engaging mine but then I ride my bike like I don't have it, the 08 and all bikes before my 13 Vision didn't. From listening to him it sounds like he's locked up his rear multiple times. He needs to take our motors course. It's free and I highly recommend it to every officer that's a new rider.

I also found it funny that he was talking about selling it because I told the officer that he was looking to for advice I wouldn't recommend the Sportster he was looking at as a first bike and here he is a few months later wanting to sell it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    I have always said I could stop my non ABS 08 faster than I could my ABS 13. At a recent class I was in, they had riders with ABS stopping around 30' shorter by not engaging the ABS from 40 mph. ABS can be a life saver for those that will not practice which is the majority of riders. We can teach the technique but if they don't practice its to no avail.

It's too bad your young officer won't take the motors course, especially if its free! I always have to pay dearly for that type of training. It would make him a much better rider and had he taken it before buying he probably wouldn't have picked up a sportster. And if he still did at least he probably wouldn't be having trouble with the brakes. I never could understand why so many choose the Sportster as a first bike, there are so many other much better options.

• Like Like x 1