VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found some pinstriping for my ride as custom paint is not in the budget at the moment.
So I am wondering if you pit on vinyl pinstriping is it easy to take off at a later date if I find something different I like?
The other question is does it last without clearcoating over top of it?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
It all depends on how long you leave it on. If its on for a week and you change your mind, warm it slightly and it should come right off. If its on a year, warm it slightly and then swear a lot when it comes off in 1/2" pieces LOL

Most of the tapes dont need any clearcoat at all. If you clear over it, you will only get it off by sanding it out, then your looking at a paint job.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Use 3M vinyl. Wax it or Armour All. Remove with gentle heat until it pulls off. Plan on 2-4 year life. Paint under the vinyl will not fade much, watch for that.
I'll use this on my Vision to highlight some body lines. When I'm happy with the look, the vinyl will be removed and those areas painted.
Shark

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I was just planning on useing this for the summer, to break up the black a bit and doing some custom paint in the winter.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
i'm interested to see what if anything you do as well. I've been considering getting my Country pinstriped. I just can't visualize what i'd like to have done at this time.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I live in the great white north my bike won't be here until the end of april, but I will post some pictures as soon as I get the vinyl down. If I can get the colors I want in reflective I will, the little extra money is no big issue due to the extra visibility.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Shark is right!
My wife works with 3M vinyl and the product is excellent.
She primarily does boats which are in the sun all season,
but has done signs, trucks and other toys.
You can get several years out of it if you take care of it.
It does come off easy, especially when heated, and should come off all in one piece.
Anything other than 3M is crap and will not come off easy.

Reflective vinyl has an additive in the mix that makes the reflection,
like glass particles. The reflective vinyl tends to be heavier and
harder to work with. It is harder to cut and makes for a jagged edge.
3M makes several colors of reflective vinyl as well.

I am planning on using 3m vinyl on my bike this year.
I will post when it gets done.
It has to be at least 50 degrees to work with this product,
and our weather here is not even close, so I am waiting.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Where did you get that stuff? Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bored
That looks REALLY good!
Are the surfaces pretty much flat ( I take it that is a cross bike)?

The prob I had with mine was that much of the surface on the KP is rounded,
and vinyl can be difficult to apply on round surfaces, especially a big piece!

Can you post pics of the entire bike with graphics? I am interested to see what you did!

Nice job!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

bubba said:
Where did you get that stuff? Thanks
I found the graphix at
http://www.immortalgraphix.com/
I then went to 3m trimline. They measured my bike, and adjusted the sizing to fit , cut them out and applied them. The bill came to $70, which I found to be a fair price.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

SmattaHead said:
Bored
That looks REALLY good!
Are the surfaces pretty much flat ( I take it that is a cross bike)?

The prob I had with mine was that much of the surface on the KP is rounded,
and vinyl can be difficult to apply on round surfaces, especially a big piece!

Can you post pics of the entire bike with graphics? I am interested to see what you did!

Nice job!
Thanks for the comments
It is on my Cross Roads. They had a bit of fun applying the decal to the tank with the curves in the tank. The graphite tail had to be re-applied so it would line up and some slight trimming was done to get the gaps even. There is a bit of a lip, about the thickness of 2 sheets of paper.
I will get a pic of the bike when the weather clears up.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I am in the same boat. I ordered some stripe from Purpleharley.com . My experience with tape stripes is that they will degrade overtime. 3M holds up pretty darn well. I have gotten many compliments already. Most can't tell they are a stripe kit.

Here are some pics. (Sorry about the iphone pic quality)

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
3M makes a stripe and adhesive removal disc that you put on a drill and it will remove any old stripe or vinyl no problem without harming the paint. We use them in the body shop daily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.