VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Nice video. What part of Virginia were you riding? Do you have your bike lowered? Doesn't look like you have the normal amount of lean angle I'm use to seeing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice video. What part of Virginia were you riding? Do you have your bike lowered? Doesn't look like you have the normal amount of lean angle I'm use to seeing.
Thanks.

I was riding the backroads near Quantico.

My bike isn't lowered - still stock-height. I was trying a cornering technique that I learned from a Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic in which I was using my body to lean further inboard through the curve to give the inboard, low side of my bike more ground clearance before scraping hard parts. It's essentially an effort to ride a big touring bike through a curve like a sport bike rider would ride through a curve - without scraping low-hanging hard parts. I need lots more practice before I try it at speed on either the Back of the Dragon in southwestern Virginia or the Tail of the Dragon in the Tennessee / North Carolina border region.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks.

I was riding the backroads near Quantico.

My bike isn't lowered - still stock-height. I was trying a cornering technique that I learned from a Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic in which I was using my body to lean further inboard through the curve to give the inboard, low side of my bike more ground clearance before scraping hard parts. It's essentially an effort to ride a big touring bike through a curve like a sport bike rider would ride through a curve - without scraping low-hanging hard parts. I need lots more practice before I try it at speed on either the Back of the Dragon in southwestern Virginia or the Tail of the Dragon in the Tennessee / North Carolina border region.
I have been trying that technique myself. Kind of reminds me of wind surfing or sail boating. I do believe the idea is to keep the meat of the tire on the road. I think @Squatch has talked about this and referred to this technique as "fart on a bar stool".
Nice video BTW

• Haha
Reactions: Known1

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the very end of the video, one can see where I very nearly ran off the road: poor curve track and target fixation on a tree on the right side road shoulder. That was a little too close for comfort. Rookie mistakes, but a good reminder why target fixation is a very bad thing. I will say this, though: when I entered that sharp, 15 MPH curve at a much hotter speed, that curve looked and felt more like a wall with no exit. And I knew that if I leaned the bike over to the left any further, I was going to hit and badly scrape low-hanging hard parts - hard.

The next time I choose to do a slow-motion feature, I need to remember to increase the frames-per-second rate so the slow-motion footage looks smoother. A friend told me about that, but I forgot to adjust the fps setting.

Lessons-learned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.