VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allow me to state, yes, the camera's a bit shaky on this one, but the problem wasn't with the Spyder, it was due to the Camera Mount I chose to use for this video. So, with that said, the Spyder RT-S delivered pretty much the type of ride I expected. Very smooth and comfortable. But, it will take some time to get used to handling three wheels vs. the two wheels I've been accustomed to riding.

While it was a street, not a highway test ride, I cannot yet comment on highway-speed handling. I can say that it was really weird NOT having to place your feet on the ground every time the bike slowed to a stop.

Also strange, is the lack of a hand brake as it uses a foot-pedal operated linked braking system (with ABS) to slow the three wheels.

Heres' the video and yes, Comments Welcomed:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Andy, great video ride review of the Spyder. But being a long-time two wheeled rider, I heard "this is going to take some getting used to" fairly often. I'll stick to leaning my Vision and Mille through the corners. Even an occasional wheelie or brakie on the Mille. Knowing the Spyder is not a motorcycle does peak my interest because it is different. Maybe the demo truck will show up here in San Antonio or even at the Cycle World Motorcycle show. Taking a test drive as you did would help me better understand the Spyder.

Ride Safe
Tim

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
timchea said:
Andy, great video ride review of the Spyder. But being a long-time two wheeled rider, I heard "this is going to take some getting used to" fairly often. I'll stick to leaning my Vision and Mille through the corners. Even an occasional wheelie or brakie on the Mille. Knowing the Spyder is not a motorcycle does peak my interest because it is different. Maybe the demo truck will show up here in San Antonio or even at the Cycle World Motorcycle show. Taking a test drive as you did would help me better understand the Spyder.

Ride Safe
Tim
Hey Tim,

I'll clarify my "It's going to take some time getting used to it" comments by stating, that unlike a motorcycle where you lean to steer, on the Spyder, you actually turn the handlebars to steer...and yes, you lean in a snowmobile-style fashion.

While it's easy to ride...it is different. And, it's very comfortable. The RT has a much more relaxed, cruiser-style riding position when compared to the sportier RS Spyder models.

If you decide to take a test ride, please post your honest opinions. While a test ride won't tell you everything, it will give you an initial impression.

I'm still a bit miffed on why they planned a demo route that only included city streets for what's being billed as a Touring bike/trike? It's difficult to get understand the handling characteristics when you're limited to 40 mph and never get to see 4th gear. In fact, since the Rotax is a high-revving engine, using 3rd at that speed was unnecessary. I could have done that route without shifting out of 2nd gear.

And you guys thought I only picked on Victory! I'm an equal opportunity complainer!

After visiting two Demo Days (Can-Am and Victory), I have it on good authority that the Victory Reps encouraged "spirited" riding!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.