VOG Forum banner

Victory Vision vs. Honda Goldwing

21K views 77 replies 28 participants last post by  livinxl 
#1 ·
First, let me just describe myself as a motorcycle dunderhead.. I have a Kingpin Low (09) and I'm considering selling it to take up passengering in comfort. I love my KP, but there are more times these days that I'd rather be a passenger and enjoy life more.
I'm considering trading it for a Vision OR selling it privately and buying a Goldwing so my husband and I can venture out for both short and long trips.
I'm curious to know from Vision owners what makes this bike in particular better than a Goldwing? Seems like a broad question, but I've read the opposite in a GL1800 forum, so I wanted to hear from you all.
Here's what we want:
1. Comfort and room over longer distances - up to 500 miles a day, sometimes 200 miles a day.
2. All the bells and whistles - Nav, great sound, LOTS of storage.
3. My husband has been riding bikes for 25 years and wants performance and guts.
Let me also state that my hubby is NOT impressed with the loud pipes, HD crowd. He's Australian, so his idea of a great performance bike is his 1990 Kawi "sitting in our garage collecting dust that he refuses to sell because it's a classic bike". He rides a Vulcan 2000 now and loves it, but if we ride 2 up, he wants to move into something better.
Let me also state that as much as I love my Kingpin, I DO NOT like it for long distances, the seat is uncomfortable for me, but other than that I love the performance and muscle.
Just your thoughts and experiences are much appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·

I was actually waiting for the new GW to be announced and so far I have heard anything so I ended up with the Vision.
For flat out stock performance the GW wins and for the upcoming 2011 models they had announced a larger motor but with the economy who even knows if it is going to be produced.
Riding comfort goes to the Vision based on the current GW. Although for a passenger the GW might win, I cant see installing those only passenger arm rest on the Vision.
Price the Vision wins hands down, the 2011 GW's are estimated at $30k+. The current model option for option cost about $24k.
I like the GW's water cooled motor, the Vision is a little hot for my taste. But for the dollar the Vision is a pretty clear winner in my book.
Style, again the Vision wins, the GW is an old tired design.

#4 ·
my last Goldwing experience ended in 99 when I picked up my first Victory so I can't state too much.

Leg room for both rider and passenger are far better on the Vision.

Engine may be faster on the Wing(unless you cam the Vision then it'll be a fight) but on a touring bike both have more than enough grunt to push around the bikes and luggage.

extras the Vision wins again but if you wait for the new Wing that'll probably change again.

Aftermarket the Goldwing wins easily depending on how much you'd care to customize.

#5 ·
You were talking about taking a hit on the KP and I think everyone will be in pretty much agreement that you will. However if you and your husband both have bikes, sell both of them (even with a little hit) and it will be easier to get that new ride. You were talking of being an exclusive passenger anyway right?
I would opt for the Vision because if there is ever a time when you or your hubby decide to go solo, just pop the trunk off, and off you go.
You certainly cant do that on a GW.

#6 ·

Thank you so much for your honest input and feedback. Style-wise, the Vision and the Goldwing both have appeal. There are many who dislike the modern styling of the Vision, but I believe it's all in how you see it and it's a personal decision. My husband likes both.
If you read some of the GL1800 forums that compare the two models, it's also very confusing. However, price-wise you get alot more features for the money on the GW than the Vision. Comparing the 2009 models, you can pick up a GW loaded for about 22K, the Vision, about 26K.. and the vision has shortcomings in both trunk space, and other.
Sorry, but I had to laugh at the GW's air bag. Air bag? I wonder if your insurance premiums offer you a discount with an airbag!
Also, the GW has a reverse built in, tire pressure gauge built in, built in Nav (the idea of taking one on and off is not appealing really).
So, the best way for us to make the decision is to test ride both. I CAN ride the vision, just barely.. but it is do able and it can be lowered an inch to better accommodate. That's one huge feature going for it.

#7 ·
I have ridden a wing 1800for about 15 miles and had the use of a 2009 Vision for a day and being 5'5" with a 30 inch inseam I was more comfy on the Vision. The wing can be lowered but nobody reccomends it. Once the trunk is available for the Cross bikes they should fit the bill for coast to coast touring.

#8 ·
BellesAZ said:
If you read some of the GL1800 forums that compare the two models, it's also very confusing. However, price-wise you get alot more features for the money on the GW than the Vision. Comparing the 2009 models, you can pick up a GW loaded for about 22K, the Vision, about 26K.. and the vision has shortcomings in both trunk space, and other.
Also, the GW has a reverse built in, tire pressure gauge built in, built in Nav (the idea of taking one on and off is not appealing really).
BellesAZ,
Let me tell you first, never believe anything from a forum...lol I just purchased a Vision fully loaded for 10,000 less then the number you have above and that was the out the door price.
For 1k( I think that is the price)I can add the reverse but dont find it necessary with the lower seat height but that is a personal preference. The built in Nav is one of the biggest complaints of GW riders I know. Tire pressure gauge is a plus, but just added to my Vision for $200.00
I'm with you, I do like the GW, storage and highway it is a great bike but that also makes it a little more clumsy around town.
Don

#9 ·
BellesAZ said:
Sorry, but I had to laugh at the GW's air bag. Air bag? I wonder if your insurance premiums offer you a discount with an airbag!
When I was insuring the Spyder RT, the insurance agent asked if the trike had ABS...YES, and a discount was applied.

Then She asked if it had an Airbag...Nope, but if it did, it would have qualified for another discount.

Since this was the first RT this agency had insured, it took a bit longer to write the policy as She truly did her homework in order to get me the most coverage for a reasonable price. Initially, the system her agency used defaulted the RT to the RS and placed it in a sport, not a touring category. She fixed that!

#11 ·
easttexasrider said:
Leg room....Leg room...Leg room Victory is the most comfortable bike out there for long days in the saddle.
One thing i really noticed when shopping for a bike was when i sat on the wing i was "locked" into one position. Small pegs that had one spot for feet and that was it. The vision was massive in the foot position area compared to the wing. On the long trips ive taken with no ad ons, i could find a different and comfortable position all day long.

#12 ·

I understand your issue with the KP. I had an 07 KP tour, great bike, fit me well. The problem was riding 2 up. We would take several trips around 250 miles or so and by the time we arrived, the last thing we wanted to do was ride some more.
We traded the KP for an 09 Vision Tour Premium. The change is amazing. Comfort to spare. We added the GPS and an IPOD adapter. Now I set the cruise and ride all day, no sweat!
If you act soon, there may still be a few 09's around and perhaps swing a good deal.
Let us know your decision!

#13 ·

BellesAZ,
I think you are on the right track getting feedback from both GW and Vision owners so you know what to look for but personally I would take those opinions with a grain of salt (they are ALL valid, just biased).
Once you and your husband test ride both bike you will definately know which bike is for you. make sure you get to test each bike for at LEAST an hour to really get an understanding of what it will and wont do.
If your decision is really close then come back to the comments from other riders and make a Pros/cons list. other than that. YOU will know which one is right at the end of the day.
Good luck and hope you stay in the Victory family, but either way you are alwyas welcome on theVOG.....or is it I-ryde.net?....i get confused at times. :)

#14 ·

Well here's my two cents. First I came from a 2004 Gl1800 and went to a '09 KP. Big difference, but the reason (mostly a run in with a deer) was that my wife was not interested in touring any more, so I boutght the KP for me.
The Goldwing for me is probably the hands down best two up touring bike there is. Of course that's me, all 5'61/2". Leg room, well I prefer the "standard" type seat position with legs under me and for longer legs, add the highway pegs to change up.
Reverse, well backing up a slight incline with no power is no fun. Add a passenger, a little sand, well you will love the power reverse.
Handling, I added custom fork springs and dampners as well as the custom rear shock and front fork brace. This made the Wing ride like it was on rails.
Power, excellent for a touring bike or most bikes for that matter, 120 Hp and 120 lbs ft torque, no need to downshift and no need to modify.
Mufflers, very quiet, which I like. On a slow country road or on the highway,perfect.
Wind protection, well the passenger did suffer some serious buffeting.
Brakes and I can attest to this, fantastic, ABS andlinked, stops great. When I hit the deer I do not know if I even hit the foot brake. Stopped straight up. Of course dazed and confused. Most other bike manufacturers could take a lesson from Honda on brakes. IMHO
Passenger seat is huge and comfy, at least that's what the wife told me.
So I guess you can tell I am somewhat biased, although I have not ridden a Vision. But the fact is you must try them both out and decides what best fits and suits you.
I must admit I am waiting for the new re-modelled Japanese Wing, but before I buy I will definitely try the Vision.
Good luck and good riding.

#15 ·

BellesAz,
For what it's worth this is how my wife and I decided on the Vision:
We knew we wanted a fully loaded touring bike so it came down to the big 4
Harley Ultra Glide, Honda Gold Wing. BMW K1200LT and the Vision.
After months of research (online, magazines, word of mouth, dealers etc....) We narrowed it down to 2 (BMW and the Vision) We took the Harley off because we felt the ride was OK but we REALLY did not want a Harley (as well as the whole culture that goes with it) We took the Gold Wing off because we felt it was just too "old". We are in our late forties and are grandparents but the Gold Wing seems to say "old couple" and we are not there yet. (I will say the Gold Wing is an awesome machine and rides like nobodies business)
So now we had the 2 left. All that was left to do was to ride each. We did so in the same day and decided on the Vision. We took a note pad with us on each ride and wrote down what our likes and dislikes were on each bike. For us it came dow to 3 things:
Comfort, Style and Price.
Since we are both tall, (5'11) The Vision was far more comfortable, with lots of leg and foot room. The ride on both was excellent. The BMWs backrest was not as comfortable as the Visionand the trunk was rather small. As far as power, the BMW could probably out run the Vision but that was not important to us because we are not going to do any "iron butt" or "sport" type of riding. (after all it is a "touring" bike) With us both on there is plenty of power to accelerate, pass and so on. As far as style, the Vision won also. Since I have a Concours, we already have a "sport" looking bike. We wanted a "cruiser" looking style bike that shows the engine. Classic, if you will. So now we have both.
So I guess it comes down to this: What do YOU GUYS want? You guys will be the ones riding the bike you choose. So decide on what you want and do the process of elemination. It took us about 6 months before we finally made the decision. I will tell you we are happy as all get out. Whatever you choose, have fun!
Roman

#16 ·

All great points and extremely compelling for the Vision.

We are going to rent one for the entire weekend and just go. My husband is not crazy about the drivers seat in the Vision, but we can get that fixed.. and his mind might change once he's on it for a couple hundred miles. I thought there was more room on the GW for the pax, but still the vision has plenty. I did feel more comfortable on the Vision.. just sitting on it in the showroom floor.
And yes, I'm with you Roman.. we're not into the Harley lifestyle and the idea of 60 year olds in buttless chaps gets old after awhile.. although, I'm planning on buying some when I turn 60! LOL
You're right in that I see people riding the Wing and think, Senior Citizen, but of course, that's just our pre-conceived notions. We're not that old, so having something sleek, sporty and rather sexy is still important.
I think the biggest reason to have the Vision is that I can ride it whenever I get the urge to get out there.. which would be nice if my husband could keep his VN 2000 or get his "classic" Yamaha in pristine condition, which is what he wants to do.
The final pull is that my Victory dealer would probably get me a screaming deal on one.. with a decent amount for my trade.
Thank you all for your input. You have no idea how much it means to get a complete picture from Vision riders and GW riders.. with a bit of bias thrown in for good measure. It never hurts, right?
In case any of you wish to read some of the commentary, the link is here..
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214600

#17 ·
BellesAZ said:
Damn, I think some HD guys died and came back as Honda riders...lol It started out great and went south real quick. Again, for $10,000.00 less then the comparable GW there is no comparison. If pricing was equal I would take the Wing because it is water cooled but pricing is not equal.
The CB retails for 650
Reverse 1500
Nav 500+- (buy the mount from the dealer and the unit from amazon)
You still save over 7k

#18 ·

Comfort and style of the Vision and Wing are personal and only you can make that call. But I wouldn't be so quick to discount the airbag option of the Honda. I don't own an airbag model Wing but I sure do appreciate that engineers made it available. I'd like to have one. Honda still has 2008 airbag Wings available for about $24K OTD. Still seems a bit high though as the retail on it is about $20K while theaverage trade in is about $15K.
All the best,
Mark

#19 ·
I found the wing did not suit the aches and pains in my ageing body. After an hour test ride I was in real pain which needed a good bit of exercise to get over. My problem which makes my range of choices smaller
It was a bit cramped and the ride was a bit firm. As a machine it was well made with plenty of great features.

The vision suited me with the long forward control floorboards. It also put a smile on my face with its character, big V twin, the polarising looks, now has ABS (which it needed to have to keep up with competitors) and I was able to have a excellent long test ride with the feeling the dealers are confident in the product being able to sell itself.
A couple of cars we are thinking of upgrading too have been far different when we test drove them and we hope to find something which brings a smile like the vision did. I remember thinking "ah thats what they are talking about mmm" - Vision

#20 ·

BellesAz, it's certainly wise of you to reach out, as I did when I was doing the exact same research, to those who have already been down that road to help you move toward a decision. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
I believe the most important comparisons have already been mentioned so, as a Vision rider, I'll just second the motions of some good points.
"1. Comfort and room over longer distances - up to 500 miles a day, sometimes 200 miles a day."
It's a matter of opinion but the Vision is often commented to have the most comfortable factory seats on a tour bike. Footboards for the passenger and driver allows you to stretch out or pull back your legs as you ride, you have to experience it to appreciate that benefit. As Clubford said, you won't feel 'locked in' as you would on a GW. My wife loves the fact that there is a nice space between her and I when we are riding 2up, and her position allows her to see over the top of my head, and not staring into the back of it. She doesn't even want armrests. You don't realize the difference heated seats and grips make until you use them.
The bike is not liquid cooled so getting caught in summer traffic in certain states... that sucker will put out some heat, especially on the right side. Get some lower air deflectors to help cool things down. The observations made about the GW are very accurate, drives like a car, a Vision drives like a motorcycle.. a fun motorcycle. When you are a 'blue hair' get a GW, lol. However, customizing a GW is alot less expensive.
"2. All the bells and whistles - Nav, great sound, LOTS of storage."
As mentioned, a separate Nav is the way to go. Take it with you to use in other vehicles, easier to update, repair, replace, etc. The Vision trunk comes off! That is huge once you get to where you want to go, unpack andjust cruise around. Saddlebags offer very little storage space but the trunk is pretty big. The sound is great I plug in my iphone and play all my tunes, it's bluetoothed to my helmet so I take calls as they come in as well. It's great to have that adjustable windshield, I use that constantly, (highway speeds or in town). Like you, I don't roll with the "60 year old buttless chaps, how much money can I blow on more HD merchandise in that crappy orange color" crowd. On a Vision you will stand out from the crowd, people will come over and want to look at your bike, ask questions, take pictures while that 'other' bunch over there adorned in orange and blackwill most likely snub their noses at you because inside they know you look way kewler than they do, is that 'kool-aid' they're drinking? lol! It's okay they're entitled to their opinion if they don't likethe Vision they can just piss off!I'm just trying to fluff the dandruff, most of my friends are in that same crowd too lol.
"3. My husband has been riding bikes for 25 years and wants performance and guts."
I like to 'get on it' when I'm coming up an on ramp to a freeway, (I try to make sure ZZTop kicks in right about then for the big entrance),the bikesounds great without being annoying, and the power is plenty for me.. you're at 75 before you blink, you level off at cruise altitude and speed, then you kick in that 6 gear overdrive and the bikesettles into a satisfying purrrr, Yeah you got their attention.
I'm fortunate that I have zero maintenance issues to report since I've had mine. Throw whatever oil you prefer in there with some bacon grease and saw dust every coupla thousand miles and your good to go.
Again, lots of good input from the others here, good luck with it.
PS, there are some other YouTube vids of some comparison rides. There's one with some European guys rode across county on a Vison, HD, and a BMW. They chose the.... well don't want to ruin it. ;)

#21 ·

I'm actually in a similar situation as I'm considering either a Cross Country, Vision or a Gold Wing. My wife likes the comfort of the Wing but hasn't spent any time on the back of either Victory yet. I'm anxious to see what Victory comes out withas a trunk option for the Cross Country. If it's similar to the Vision trunk and ABS is an option for the 2011 model, I suspect Vision sales will quickly drop. I liked the Vision when it first appeared except for two items. It looks great from all angles except the front and I haven't forgiven them for the rediculously small saddlebags.
I'm also curious to see what Honda does with the 2011 Wing but it wouldn't stop me from a nice used one or the still new in the crate 2008, 2009 and 2010'sHonda hasin their warehouse.
Prices for all three of the models I'm consideringseem to have a wide margin except for maybe the Cross Country because it's a successful new model. Please keep the forum updated on what you decide.
Thank You,
Mark

#22 ·

Lots of good points and I cant add much as my 09 tour premium has not been ridden by me as yet with white rain on the ground.
I test rode a friends last fall and I went out and bought one. Was going for the XC but......Vision is where its at for comfort, best seat I ever rode in and my Lady says the same thing about the pillion. We both hated the Visions looks when it came out but now..we're god with it based on performance and comfort
CHICAGO MARK, I found the XC to be too uncomfortable for me, leaned forward to the bars, no room in the saddle and my Lady;s feet were up high on the passenger boards. So we got the Vision Its a great bike and I would likely ride it XC anywhere by myself but felt my SG had better passenger room and rider room.
Make sure you test ride em both before you decide..............proof was in the test ride for me at 5"11

#23 ·
I have owned many bikes over the years, including a Goldwing, and now have a Vision. You've already gotten some good info, some of which gave advice based on things you didn't include in your criteria like water cooling vs air, etc. I, for one, wouldn't make such a decision based on that when there are larger issues to consider and your particular criteria.

Comfort and Room over distance: The Vision wins this one IMO (all I say here is just IMO, so I won't restate that) for a couple of reasons. The seat is better, the position is better and the floorboards are very large, which allows flexibility in position. The lower seat height is also nice as is the tapered front between the driver's legs.

Bells and Whistles: The Vision has nearly (if not all) the same important features as the GW and some improvements. While some find the built-in Nav to be a better design, I disagree. The built-in design makes it less flexible. In fact, many GW owners routinely complain about the "crippled" nav and inherent lack of updating due to its built-in nature. The Vision uses a variety of Nav systems and none are crippled in features. The removal is quick and painless and also has benefits in taking the Nav into a hotel or home for pre-programming, etc. It locks on pretty well for short stops at restaurants and gas without undue worry. The adjustable windshield and 6th gear are features Honda doesn't offer and most Wingers complain about a lot. Having owned both, I agree.

Performance: The Vision is not as all-out powerful, in that Goldwing linear way, due to the Wing's larger inline 6. But, unless you are drag racing a Wing, you'll never notice and even then, you would catch up. And, if you get the cam upgrade you are even again if that's what you want. On the other hand, the Wing in its current design will never have that V-Twin soul that the Vision has. Nor will it have the low speed handling of the Vision. There is just a visceral feel from the V-Twin that the Wing's motor doesn't have. The sound is much better than Honda and less obnoxious than HD. A very nice compromise.

I hope this answers your questions as posed. These are the more important things for me in such a decision and a test drive will complete the picture. You can't make a mistake with either bike (which is good, considering the $$$) unless you are heavily motivated toward those features that the Vision has and the Honda doesn't. Then you would only have one choice - or vice versa if that's the case.

#24 ·
I went through this exact same decision making process over the last year and I made a rather large $$$$ mistake.

Back in March of last year (2009) I decided I wanted to add a touring bike to the garage. I planned on keeping my V-Rod but wanted something that we could use 2-up for long rides in comfort. I narrowed my choices down to 4 bikes, Harley Ultra/Street Glide, Victory Vision, BMW K1200LT and the GL1800 (Goldwing). I set about test riding them all during bikeweek 2009 with the following observations

H-D - Cramped ergonomics, anemic engine, excellent construction, decent wind management

Victory - Disconnected power delivery, lots of driveline slop, comfortable ride, excellent handling, cramped passenger ergonomics (wife had discomfort due to low passenger floorboard), clutch problems most likely due to demo bike abuse

BMW - Excellent ergonomics, excellent wind management, decent power delivery, high COG, high seat height, lacking floorboards and decent option for highway pegs.

Honda - Big bike, relatively high COG, marginal seat height but acceptable, good ergonomics but lacking floorboards and decent option for highway pegs, excellent if not too sanitary power delivery, good handling (from demop ride, only later did I realize I needed to spend $2800 to fix known defects in the suspension)

When it was all said and done I decided to pick up a leftover '08 Goldwing for $16,500. For the price none of the others could come close so I figured I was making out on the deal.

So, I get the bike and I have to change out the seat, add highway pegs, change windshield and spend about $1500 to get it comfortable. 3 weeks later my wife buys a Can-Am Spyder and now she doesn't want to get on the back of the Wing, she wants to ride her own bike (I can't blame her).

I rode the Wing through the summer and we took a riding vacation and did about 2000 miles and I was OK but it just wasn't as comfortable as I'd been lead to believe. Add to that it's size and my short 30" inseam and it was a chore around town. I liked the bike but I didn't love it.

When the fall came around I decided I needed a change. The V-Rod is a great bike but I have had 2 in the last 7 years and was ready for a change and the Wing just wasn't doing it for me so I decided to look around at Biketoberfest. I had see the ads for the Cross bikes and was able to sit on one at the event and was pretty much sold. I still had those niggling thoughts about how the demo rides on the Vision just didn't light me up but the comfort and looks kept me coming back.

Fast forward 3 months. The V-Rod and Wing are long gone and in their place is a beautiful black XC.

Is it perfect, no. Is it the best thing out there in a combination bike, I think so and when they come out with the top case and highway bar filler pieces it will be a wonderful long range touring bike. Remove those, put on the lower screen and cruise around town in a comfortable, manageable and sweet looking ride. Seems like the best of both worlds from my vantage point.

Oh, and I thought I was through with the "bar" bikes but I'm cooking up a plan to buy a used Jackpot, rake it out with the Kewlmetal kit, slam it and build a killer 120+ hp motor to bob around town with. Not sure when I'm going to do it but it will happen......

#25 ·
I want to point out something that I mentioned in my post but didn't elaborate on. The stock suspension on the Goldwing SUCKS! The front has so much sag they had to engineer an anti-dive mechanism to prevent it from nose diving and bottoming out. The end result is a far too softly spung front end with marginal, if not non existent rebound damping. The rear is ok but suffers from to little spring and marginal damping. Overall the suspension is a HUGE letdown. The ride is choppy and harsh, by far the worst ride of all the bikes mentioned. Even the '09 and up Harley's have better suspensions and brakes then the Wing.

It can be fixed but budget $2800 for a Traxxion Dynamics kit (installed).

OTOH, the Vision has a much better suspension, handles every bit as well as the Wing and doesn't require you to spend a dime correcting flaws. Oh, and it has 120 lb's more load carrying capacity than the Wing! The Cross Country takes it a step further with inverted cartridge front forks. I find my XC to handle much better than the Goldwing and it's ride is much more compliant without being soft.

#26 ·

mjw930 said:
I want to point out something that I mentioned in my post but didn't elaborate on. The stock suspension on the Goldwing SUCKS! The front has so much sag they had to engineer an anti-dive mechanism to prevent it from nose diving and bottoming out. The end result is a far too softly spung front end with marginal, if not non existent rebound damping. The rear is ok but suffers from to little spring and marginal damping. Overall the suspension is a HUGE letdown. The ride is choppy and harsh, by far the worst ride of all the bikes mentioned. Even the '09 and up Harley's have better suspensions and brakes then the Wing.

It can be fixed but budget $2800 for a Traxxion Dynamics kit (installed).

OTOH, the Vision has a much better suspension, handles every bit as well as the Wing and doesn't require you to spend a dime correcting flaws. Oh, and it has 120 lb's more load carrying capacity than the Wing! The Cross Country takes it a step further with inverted cartridge front forks. I find my XC to handle much better than the Goldwing and it's ride is much more compliant without being soft.
Well the XC would also be an option should you be able to have the comfort 2 up seat, etc. like the Vision, etc. I do like the roominess of the hard bags and wonder if they make a nice trunk as well? I'll have to go look. A friend just got one and she loves her XC, but wants to keep it as a solo bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.