VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a while since I've been riding regularly -- 20 years. Looking for a luxury tourer that my wife and I can do some traveling around now that the kids are grown. It is down to the Vision Tour Premium and the Gold Wing. Suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, I have spent some time playing around with my sons Yamaha R6 over the past couple years and that just confirmed that at age 52, I don't need to be leaning on the gas tank of the new bike.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I ride an 08 V Vision, and have rode Harleys for 30 yrs. I've always said if I could fit on a Wing I'd be riding it, as I don't believe you can beat Japanese engineering or quality.

2 of my cousins that are shorter in stature (around 5'7") ride newer Wings. I always see them squirming on the seat or dropping a leg to get the cramps out.
Those Wings are nice bikes if you are short, but then you can't touch the ground.

The Vision isn't perfect, but I have been happy with it

·
Registered
717 Posts
All I have to say is FLOORBOARDS!

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Take them both for a ride and see what fits you and your riding style. I personally would go with the American built V twin with the floorboards though ;-)

·
Registered
265 Posts
KC, I have had 3 goldwings, 82,90 and now the 01. First 2 had 100,000 mile on the clocks when I sold them. Got 60,000 on the 01 now. the only break down I had was on the 1990. had a throttle cable break once and had to replace a water pump once. the 90 and the 01 both I had to put custom seats on, Stock seats just wouldn't cut it. One the 90 and the 01 I put floor boards with a heal toe shifter along with highway pegs so I could streach out my legs. I'm sure the Vision will run 100,000 miles. You and your better half should test ride them both before you put you money down. I like my wings but also like my Kingpin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Devil. We definitely will be test riding both. Always nice to get input from existing owners based on your experience. We're looking for a long term relationship with the bike!

·
Registered
870 Posts
At 55 years old with hip and knee pains the wing left me in pain which also put BMW tourers out of the running when I was making my decision. I also thought the ride on the wing was a bit to firm, but apart from that it was a well engineered machine. The vision was the most comfortable of the others I tested which were the rocket 3 touring and the 103 C.I. harley ultra. The vision has some features the others did not have and the others have some features the vision does not have. The cheapest was the rocket which did not have cruise, sound system, top box etc but was 2/3 the price. The harley is set up with intercom, the wing has inbuilt GPS, the vision has tip over protection.
Test ride and give us your feedback please. Research needs to be backed up by seat of the pants experience and the character of the bike which puts the grin on your face should help you decide.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
+1 on the test rides. Take both for test rides with and without passenger. Make sure to get her imput. She may like the comfort better on one bike over the other.
Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
343 Posts

OK, it's prob'ly not you driving.
I'm dizzy and still bored with wings.
Sorry it's nice to see experts? scraping wing parts but it's a boring bike IMHO.
So boring one of our club riders couldn't pay attention to the road due to all the interesting gadgets. His subsequent crash earned him the nickname Bluetooth Bob. He was so bored riding his wing on a straight road; well the result wasn't pretty but at least he's hangin in to get his new name.
Shark

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
both of these land yacht's are fine machines. While I've had a lot of saddle time in a Vision i don't own one. I did own a Wing 1996-1999(96 SE model) I gave it up for a V92C.

I'd take the Vision in a heartbeat right now(especially the Blue/Sandstone or Pearl White) over the current Wing.

Even with my Cross my friend gets 3 times the attention on his spaceship then I do on my bike. It means it's easier to spot and people are likely paying more attention, probably trying to figure out what the hell it is LOL.

Also the lighting on front of the Vision is fantastic unless you've got a Vision in your rear view mirrors. I complain all the time to viciousdwarf about his annoying headlight.

With all that considered, the Wing is going under a rework, no way of knowing how much or what will be improved but I expect good things from Honda's flagship.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Shark said:
OK, it's prob'ly not you driving.
Never said it was, and it has nothing to do with the point.The fact that you've got an inattentive rider in your club also has zero bearing on the bike.
Different people like different things. Some are going to like the whole flat-6 concept while other are attracted to the Harley clone V-twin culture. (Lord knows there's been a large Harleyfication of the metrics. Almost nothing but V-twins in the cruiser market these days.)
A boring ride probably has more to do with the rider than the bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I had an 06 wing great bike BUT the seating postion left my knees and legs crampping after an hour or so,I added the highway pegs then thefairing bothered my shin plus I felt like I was stretched out like a woman at the gyno'office.I sold the wing and bought the Vision and after 19k miles in just over a year including some 800-900+ mile days I can honestly say the Vision is the most comfortable riding and one of the easiest driving motorcycles I have ever ridden in over 40 years of riding.Plus it is an American V-twin with soul and character something IMHO I always felt like the wing was lacking.But ride them both and then decide.Good luck with whichever you decide on
You also might want to check out the vision-riders.com lot's of former wing owners ridng vision's over there.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Nothing cloned about the vision, except there's a v there as in v twin. Otherwise no sharing of DNA at all if you notice. Now the Vic TC is a definite clone, with no apologies at all it's a good one, but about as boring as a wing or harley visually and lacking finesse as I noticed on a test ride. Culture for bikers is an odd concept, it's more like the Pied Piper mentality. Our crashed rider was likely bored to distraction on his wing. No apologies for opinions here becuz my group ride is with the Honda ST's and Yam FJR1300's of our club and we ride fast. After seeing a mirror full of vision for 2 days, the fast guys all talked up the vision and of course the nut case on their tails all day. Priceless.
Shark

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
redpin04 said:
both of these land yacht's are fine machines. While I've had a lot of saddle time in a Vision i don't own one. I did own a Wing 1996-1999(96 SE model) I gave it up for a V92C.

I'd take the Vision in a heartbeat right now(especially the Blue/Sandstone or Pearl White) over the current Wing.

Even with my Cross my friend gets 3 times the attention on his spaceship then I do on my bike. It means it's easier to spot and people are likely paying more attention, probably trying to figure out what the hell it is LOL.

Also the lighting on front of the Vision is fantastic unless you've got a Vision in your rear view mirrors. I complain all the time to viciousdwarf about his annoying headlight.

With all that considered, the Wing is going under a rework, no way of knowing how much or what will be improved but I expect good things from Honda's flagship.
I keep hearing the Wing is going to be re-worked but nobody knows if or when. The big problem for me is that Honda is moving production from the States back to Japan, that's deal killer for me.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
bikendad said:
I keep hearing the Wing is going to be re-worked but nobody knows if or when. The big problem for me is that Honda is moving production from the States back to Japan, that's deal killer for me.
correction Honda has already shutdown manufacturing of the Wings from their Ohio plant. They actually started shutting down operations almost 2 years ago but 'officially ended' it last June.

I only know this because they have a few of our robots in their North American plants. We had some of their floor managers here getting some NC training and it came up in discussion. They didn't know anything more we did.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.