VOG Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mentioned this in another www.thevog.net thread I started called New To Me Victory Hard-Ball. I wanted to start a new thread for the speedometer upgrade option to make it easier for others to find this information from an internet search.

The speedometers on the bikes mentioned in the title have limited information available as delivered from the factory when cycling the Mode switch on the left hand grip. To add functions like a 2nd Trip Odometer, Average MPG, Instant MPG, Trip Time, Voltmeter and even an Ambient Air Temp option, you'll need to purchase a Speedometer Feature Upgrade under Victory item number: 2878478. Item number 2878478 is a calibration card that has a code number printed on it. Exactly like the fuel calibration card that was used if you purchased a Victory exhaust system from your Victory dealer. Your Victory dealer used that Calibration Card code number to download a different fuel map into the bikes ECU.

To install the Speedometer upgrade, a Victory dealer will need to connect your bike to their Victory Digital Wrench computer system. Once they get to this upgrade option, they'll need to input the code from the card into the Victory Digital Wrench computer. Not surprisingly, Polaris no longer makes new Speedometer Upgrade code cards available. Therefore, you'll have to find one at an older Victory dealer. Likely one that was a dealer back when these bikes were new.

Don't be surprised to hear your Victory dealer tell you they don't have item 2878478 in stock and they can't order a new one from Polaris. But, they most certainly can search the Polaris Victory parts system to find what dealers the system shows has one or more in stock. That's how I was able to buy the speedometer upgrade for my 2013 Hard-Ball. When new, the Speedometer Upgrade card had an MSRP of $49.99.

To allow the Ambient Temperature option to work you'll also need one or both of item numbers:

2410443 - Sensor Gauge, Air Temp. This is the same item used on the CC/CCT models.
2410820 - Air Temp Sensor, Jumper. (NLA?) Used to go from a two pin connector to two separate bullet type connectors. Depending on what model Victory you have.

You can do an internet search for: Victory Air Temperature Kit 2875949 and you'll find and be able to print out the installation instructions for the Sensor Gauge, Air Temp. This item is currently (Dec 2022) available from Polaris online dealers for $48.

I always like having the factory installation instructions to read over before starting this type of thing. For about $100, you'll get all the features your speedometer was originally capable of showing you. $50 if you forgo the ambient air temperature option.

All the best to you and have fun enhancing your Victory motorcycle.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Today the Sensor-Gauge Air Temp came in the mail from www.victorypartspro.com, item number: 2410443.

To use the temperature sensor on a CR/Hard-Ball, you simply plug the gray 2 pin connector on the sensor wire into the gray 2 pin connector in the headlight shell. I routed the sensor wire along the left turn signal wire and simply attached it with a couple of small tie wraps. The actual sensor is mounted on a small metal plate with a hole in the end. One tie wrap went through the plate hole and then around the turn signal wire. The second tie wrap simply holds the two wires together. Now when cycling through the Mode functions, the ambient temperature displays.

Next up is to go to the dealer with the Speedometer Calibration Card I bought to unlock additional Mode functions.

This same temperature sensor is used on the CCT and the Vision.

· Registered
4,317 Posts
When I had my Xroads, I just couldn't do it.

It seems like such a scam to pay to "unlock" something I had already paid for and any 15 year old car had as a standard feature.

Hop on any European or Japanese bike and it's there.

Bugged the living crap out of me that Polaris wanted to take me for another $50, and couldn't upgrade the goofy switchgear for the cruise control that looks homemade.

Lol. I'm riding a used Triumph that makes everything Indian and Harley sells new look antiquated. Plus 140 hp on a <600lb machine.

· Registered
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally, my work schedule, the weather and the dealer technicians availability all meshed. I got the speedometer upgrade/download this morning. I love it! Many of these features I use regularly. I’d recommend it to any CR/Hard-Ball owner.

Yes, I fully agree that whoever the team was at Polaris that made these feature’s optional for a $50 calibration card are full on A-Holes. At the same time, IMHO, it was $50 well spent.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
^^^Excellent info, thanks for posting it mark!

Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark
1 - 5 of 5 Posts