VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to the Victory dealership to pay for the new Kingpin, which I can hopefully pick up in May if the snow is gone.
Thought I would enquire asto the price of a repair manual for the '09Kingpin?
He said sit down....then toldme.....$175.00... Crap, what is Polaris thinking? $70, 80 or even$90.00 I can understand, but I don't care what dollar you are paying with, $175 is outrageous, ridiculous and gouging!
I just paid a good number over 22K for the bike and accessories, but it is funny how a relatively small item can make you think twice about the purchase you just made??
Then they wonder why people "pirate" such items. I was quite willing to pay up to $100 for OEM but as you can tell I am somewhat peeved!
Just had to vent!!!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I missed the part about the dealer offer at cost.
I went to google and typed in Victory owners manual. And what i found was not too much different. Most were about $125.00
Its good to know the price, i will negotiate that in the deal i make for my bike.
Might not work, but its worth a try.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Hold yer horses Gents!!
First off, Victory is NOT Polaris. And Vice Versa. Victory is a Polaris child. TWO differnet entities so to speak.
Use your owners manual. Fork out the dough for the first service and then you should be good to go on the rest on your own following the manual.
If it aint broke don't fix it!
It's a VICTORY! These bikes are rock solid. These bikes don't need tampering with. If you upgrade then they need to me computarily (SP) remapped at a dealer.
Ride the bike, do the scheduled maintances and have fun!
You guys worry too much about stuff. I have 109K on my bike and would not hesitate in a heartbeat to head out cross country on it.
I hate wrenching, but know even I have the ability to do almost all the scheduled maintances.
I even change my own oil. Yup I use the Vic oil change just cuz it said to, IT WORKS. Not saying other brands dont. I know this does.
All I can say is,
Ya got yourself a great bike GO RIDE IT!! Don't tear it apart & look at the parts & pieces.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Be glad they gave you something else to whine about. I wanted to get a service manual for my '06 Ranger when I bought it. Dealer said about $300. O.O I did not whine but I did not buy.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
flint350 said:
Fishy, I'll assume some humor/sarcasm in your post, but really, just bcz your bike or anyone else's went 100k and despite the rep Victory has for bulletproof bikes - that doesn't negate the value in having a Service Manual handy. I wouldn't equate someone wanting a manual with being paranoid or wanting to just tear it apart to have a look inside.
+1 Believe me, the last thing i want to do is start tearing things apart. I dont believe that is the point of having the book. I think having the book is equivelent to carrying some extra spark plugs or an extra drive belt. It more of a Just in case measure. Like was brought up earlier, if you do have an issue and no Vic dealers are around, if you cant do it yourself, a trained bike tech should be able to rear the manual and get you back on the road again. (depending on parts needed).

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

flint350 said:
I got the Service Manual for my Vision on ebay for $75 from a dealer in Az. I still thought it was a bit expensive, until I read your story.

Fishy, I'll assume some humor/sarcasm in your post, but really, just bcz your bike or anyone else's went 100k and despite the rep Victory has for bulletproof bikes - that doesn't negate the value in having a Service Manual handy. I wouldn't equate someone wanting a manual with being paranoid or wanting to just tear it apart to have a look inside.
+1 on peace of mind
Last year our SCRC chapter went on a weekend ride into a somewhat secluded corner of Wisconsin. One of the guys' Honda Valkrie (sp?) worked great until we got to our motel on Friday night then died. Between 6 people we spent almost 3 hours trying to find the problem. It wound up being a relay tucked up under the fuse box. Had he had a manual with im it wouldhave taken probably about 30 minutes to trouble shoot and find. This guy did not own a manual. He now has one in pdf form on his laptop that he carries (he writes motorcycle related articles so he is always making notes) and if he doesn't acrry his laptop with he has the manual on a USB memory stick that is carried with the registration papers on the bike at all times ...just in case. His bike is/was supposed to be bullet proof too.
What were the big changes between the 08 and 09 KP other than tail light? I really don't remember.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I paid around $160 canadian. This is insurance to me, again, I wrench my own ride.
08-09, 09 redesigned fuel pump and tank, more service friendly, tilt switch, bike falls over, shuts motor off, wheels 16-18 lbs lighter than 08's
same motor, same frame, virtually same machine, + 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
what do you want a manual for? you are getting a great bike and if you want to know anything post it on the forum and get the answer from the people that know.

mind you i like the idea of carrying it on a usb stick........................

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

All good comments.
For me the Manual is more of a tool of what I shouldn't do or try. I'm at the age that I don't want to wrench on anything anymore including the atv's, boat, lawnmower and etc. I do like to know torque specs for different items and how to take things apart without breaking them if I have to. I am partial to the electrical schematics though for wiring in new farkles, so I don't have to poke holes in the wires for nothing.
In the long run a manual for most people would probably send more work to the dealer. Good riding.
Oh yeah, I can't wait for the snow to melt!

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Are you saying that you still have snow on the ground out there?
Wow we haven't had any fresh snow since the first week of Feb. It's f#$% too cold to ride. Any flooding in your area. It's sad to see all that water up to the rooftops in someplaces. They have a Cherry/Pearl White Kingpin here in Burlington ON, the sun was shining through the window what a sharp colour and then when I was leaving it was dark outside it looked totally different still good.
Ride Safe:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I picked up my 2002 92TC-Delux as a repo. There was a dealer in town at the time, not now. Closest is in Hot Springs, a good hour and a half away. For what ever reason, the cross over pipe fell off. It is now slightly bent and doesn't fit right. The gasket is ripped and leaks gases. Better than $350.00 for that pipe. Plus gasket, plus shipping.
Sorry, but that's crap.
I can usually get stock parts for my rice burners for little or sometimes nothing from somebody who's done a mod on their similar model. If not, I can still get parts from a third party for far less than OEM.
No such luck with the Vic.
Again, I love the bike, and am really proud to ride an American made machine, but nothing is 100% fail proof. I'm not a real gear head myself, but I do enjoy the feeling that I can take care of any reasonable problem. Replaced the Reg/Rec on the Magna. Pulled and replaced the stator. $45 bucks for a 3P Reg/Rec. $89 for beefed up stator. No labor costs. Had fun doing it and gained a sense of accomplishment.
If this is going to be a rich man's machine, I'll just have to haul my poor little posterior back to the metrics.

My experience with Victory kind of leads me to believe that if you have to ask the price, you're on the wrong machine.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

BigGuy, try to remember, victory has only been with us for 10 years, the " metrics " you speak of have been around since the late sixty's, early seventy's.
I'm new to the vic world, but i've been around harley's all my life, H D stands for " Hundred Dollars " ( just experience talkin here )
I hope that someday we will all have a place to get " reasonable priced " used vic parts for our older machines.
On the other hand, if it's hard to find, maby it's because " It's not worn out yet !"
Good luck in your search for good used parts, I think that they are hard to find because the're not broken.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I love my service manual. I haven't used it because something broke but it's great when your changing out parts (and I have changed many) to see a blow up diagram so you know when you have all the bolts and clips out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Spider:

Good points. I have considered that Vics are new and don't have the decades of user support networks built up that the other brands enjoy.
And that is why Victory might do well to fill in that deficit. I joined the VMC when I first got my bike. It galled me to have to pay for the privilege, but I thought I'd get enough out of it in advice and support to make it worth while. Sadly, not so.
I'm on several forums for my other bikes, where I get lots of good advice, offers of help, the opportunity to look for used parts, or links to less expensive third party alternatives. All at no cost for membership.

I understand that Victory bikes haven't been on the road long enough for problems to create the surplus of parts and experience found with other brands. In my case, it's even worse. I suspect the folks who buy touring cruisers are less likely to do mods like swapping pipes.
But we can explain it until the cows come home. Bottom line is, the support is there for many other brands. It's not for Victory. Time will tell whether or not that marketing strategy works. I suspect that a free, self-service oriented web site, and offering replacement parts with a very marginal markup would help make inroads into the metric market. If Victory is happy just being, "The Other H.D." then I think they'll a substantially reduced market.

·
Registered
457 Posts
BigGuy said:

I'm on several forums for my other bikes, where I get lots of good advice, offers of help, the opportunity to look for used parts, or links to less expensive third party alternatives. All at no cost for membership.
Welcome to the world of online communities, getting under the nails of traditional retailers. Be it dealerships/pc shops/game shops...
Especially since a bike is mostly bought by enthousiast with a fair bit of DIY skills, it's particulary tricky in the motorcycle business.
Car retailers do not need to worry just yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.