VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to find fork seals for my 2002 TCD I was shocked to see they cost about $42.00 each.I have been looking at Yamaha Road Stars so I decided to do a cost comparison on some common oem parts.Yamaha fork seals are about $10.00 each.Yamaha clutch cable,$33.00.Vic clutch cable around $80.00.I looked up several other parts and Vic's prices were any where from 50% to 75% more than Yamaha.I talked to a multi brand dealer that used to carry Victory and he agreed the parts prices were ridiculous.Please don't get me wrong,I love my Vic and I think they are a great bikes.I just think Victory would serve their customer base better by having a more reasonable mark up on their parts.I have been a rider for over 40 years and worked in four dealerships so I am somewhat familiar with the business.My poor old Vic is setting on the floor jack with the forks laying in pieces.My seals should be here in 8-10 days.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I shop at dealers that give me a discount. I get 15-20% of Vic OEM stuff. There are also benefits to being a member of another sites/riding club.I have been a loyal customer of G&G Power Sports in Wisc. I live in NC, but still buy most everything there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stilcrazee said:
How much for fork seals for a Road King or Dyna?
I think if the parts were in higher demand and turned faster (volume) the pricemay be less.
I only compared prices on the Road Star because if I buy another bike that is what it will be.No reason for checking Harley prices because I will never own one.Will I sell the Vic?Not sure,I really like it.You may be correct on the parts demand thing but $42 for a fork seal is a little overpriced no matter how you cut it.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
ChainGang said:
stilcrazee said:
How much for fork seals for a Road King or Dyna?
I think if the parts were in higher demand and turned faster (volume) the pricemay be less.
I only compared prices on the Road Star because if I buy another bike that is what it will be.No reason for checking Harley prices because I will never own one.Will I sell the Vic?Not sure,I really like it.You may be correct on the parts demand thing but $42 for a fork seal is a little overpriced no matter how you cut it.
I agree with the overpriced just thinking that HD may besimilarly priced however I'd be willing to bet that there are aftermarket mfgs for HD by now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bubba said:
I shop at dealers that give me a discount. I get 15-20% of Vic OEM stuff. There are also benefits to being a member of another sites/riding club.I have been a loyal customer of G&G Power Sports in Wisc. I live in NC, but still buy most everything there.
Thank you sir.Good to know.I did get the oem seals for $28 each from Powersports Warehouse in SC.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I can sympathize with the high cost. Took the rear wheel off of my 09 KP Tour into Cycle Works in Calgary, Alberta to have a new tire installed and balanced. $348.00 dollars including the 5% Canadian goods and services tax. That is the most I have ever paid for a new rear tire. The bike I had previously cost $257.00 including tax for the rear tire installed and balanced with me taking the wheel off the bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your correct about the cost of that new tire installation.I am fortunate to have a local one man shop that charges $25 if you bring the wheel in and $50 if you bring the bike in.He will sell you the tire but has no problem if you bring your own tire.Next time you need a tire you may want to find a mom and pop independent shop for a much better deal.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

Just did the same for tire, took it off and to dealer to install new one,
Tire 269.99
Labour to put on 45.00
Taxes 13% = 40.82
Total355.81
Less 15% on tire 40.49
New Total 315.32
I remember when you could get 6 tires for this price and install yourself.
Regards

·
Registered
358 Posts

Doesn't the TCD use 45mm Marzocchi racing forks? They were VERY big for their time and I know some are bigger today, but these are high quality, low volume parts.
While it would be nice, I never expected Honda prices for parts when I bought my TC.
On the flip side, those cheap front turn signals chap my ass everytime I look at them...soon to be replaced by FLH units.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree on the cheap turn signals.Looks like they came off of a little kids electric motorcycle.
The TCD does use 45mm Marzocchi forks but I don't know about the racing part.I would think racing forks would be much lighter.My forks are very heavy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You want one that will really chap you ass, replace the rubber gaskets on you fuel pump some time. Basically a 1" diameter piece of molded rubber. 2 of them, $12 a piece. As a design engineer I've made parts very similar before. For annual usage of maybe 5000 pieces tooling would be about $1000 and part cost about $0.50 at the most.
Love my Vic but cringe every time I need to buy any parts. Markup is ridiculous.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My biggest complaint against Victory. Love the bike, but I HATE what they do to us when it comes to parts and accessories. I haven't bought saddlebags, windshield, or anything else from them to the fact that I refuse to get raped at the cash register. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for a product, but what they charge is insane. I will hold onto my money.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The price for a rear tire is un-acceptible, it's a oem part I love my king pin but will be looking to sell it and wont buy another victory just for this reason how dare you force people to buy a specific item then drive the price up 100 dollars more than it should be

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Are ya'll aware of all the other peeps selling Victory Accessories?

There's lots of Vicsters that sell the same stuff that Victory sells (only better) for way less & with discounts.

PM for details.

I'll try to put together a list of all these folks. I buy brake pads, cables etc. at a much discounted price that thru Victory.

I still do my best to support my local dealers as they are important to us!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
For the record, our local Yamaha dealer has a bunch of punk kids as mechanics & I have several Star Riding friends whose bikes have been FUBARED by the local shop.

I have 2 jugs of Yamalube tho I will be happy to give ya if ya buy a Yami. (The bike itself is nice but our local dealers suck)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Seems that the hard pink shaft is a common occurance with all off the Vic ridersThat hard pink shaft in the left ear is a reoccuring fact and makes many off us perhaps question why we did what we did!!
I for one am fairly independent and resist for the most part the insesant plunder of my left ear by not just Vic but pretty much anything poking at it .

Am I to believe that as Vic owners we are nothing more than as I posted once in the past of canucks . A following of sheep > Simple minded baffones simply doing as we are told by mister Victory. Or what do we do about it!Oh I supose nothing , Right
Don't give me that **** about well they only sell a few . Ya I can well imagine why they charge to friginng much for parts and most are smarter. Thats why they can't enter the bigger market!
Oh well I'm going to sit back now and pour myself a beer and chill.

·
Vendor
1,398 Posts

ChainGang said:
In my quest to find fork seals for my 2002 TCD I was shocked to see they cost about $42.00 each.I have been looking at Yamaha Road Stars so I decided to do a cost comparison on some common oem parts.Yamaha fork seals are about $10.00 each.Yamaha clutch cable,$33.00.Vic clutch cable around $80.00.I looked up several other parts and Vic's prices were any where from 50% to 75% more than Yamaha.I talked to a multi brand dealer that used to carry Victory and he agreed the parts prices were ridiculous.Please don't get me wrong,I love my Vic and I think they are a great bikes.I just think Victory would serve their customer base better by having a more reasonable mark up on their parts.I have been a rider for over 40 years and worked in four dealerships so I am somewhat familiar with the business.My poor old Vic is setting on the floor jack with the forks laying in pieces.My seals should be here in 8-10 days.
I know how you feel.. but your buying American vs. Japanese?? Its always going to be cheaper buying parts for the import bikes. The Victorys do not break near as much as most bikes. Not picking sides... im with you , the consumer.
I wish someone would make an aftermarket part source for Victorys. I did find that Checkers stocks a Victory oil filter , that is the same filter that Victory offers. Just no stamp on the filter is the only difference. Ran about $6.50.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't been here for awhile so I thought I would give an update.I sold the Vic to a friend.I ended up with a Kawasaki Nomad 1600.I won't get into the good and bad or compare the two bikes.I will say that I really like the Nomad.I still think Vics are great bikes but for me the lack of dealers in my area is a deal breaker.If I travel the dealer support is few and far between.I envy you folks that live near Vic dealers.Overall my Vic experience was great until I started checking prices and buying oem parts.
I hope Victory will expand their dealer network and and get "real" on their parts and accessory prices.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.