VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that they will not be at the Novi, Michigan show this coming week-end. I find this EXTREMELY disappointing as Harley and pretty much all the metrics are attending. There will also be 2 Harley dealers there and looks like no Vic dealers. This kind of **** makes me worry about purchasing a Victory, are they on the ropes??

·
Registered
343 Posts
Dad, having experience myself as a manufacturer's rep and independent dealer (of high tech equipment not bikes), I know the mfgr wants the dealer to spend $ on shows and typically gives little if any incentive. A few years ago it was gravy and reps/ dealers had the $ (to spend and write off) but you could consider it asbelt-tightening locally and not an indication of Victory's financial health. With Polaris big bucks and 10 years into Victory with arguably increasing market share in the still-huge cruiser market, would Polaris bail? IMHO likely not. Shark

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I agree that the chances of Vic bailing are close to nil, however the thought that they are not attending a major show in times when you want everyone seeing your product is disconcerting.
Hopefully they will be in Chicago in February.
The display they had last year here was quite large.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Victory has always had a large display at this show in previous years. Upon further investigation it looks as though Victory will be at only 3 shows this year, Long Beach, New York and Minneapolis according to the Cycle World event site. If Victory wants to look like a healthy corporation, this isn't the way to do it.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Michigan Exhibitor List

6th Gear Racing Apparel

Abate of Michigan

ABC Harley-Davidson

Action Feature - Ducati Freestyle Team

Akrapovic d.d.

Allstate Insurance Co.

Alpha Training Center, LLC

American Honda Motor Co.

American Suzuki Motor Corp.

Arai Helmet Americas, Inc.

Avon Tyres

Best Cellar (Toledo Basement Systems)

Big Ear

Biker Bob's Harley-DavidsonMotown

Bikes & Beats

Blackbeard Powersports

Brembo North America

British Motorcycle Gear

California Scooter Company

Chatterbox U.S.A.

Christian Motorcyclist Association (CMA)

Cobra Engineering

Cobra Give-away

Condor Products

Cycle World Magazine

Cyphen Sportswear

Ducati North America

Elite Products / Ebony Mendenhall

Final Touch

Forcefield Body Armor / Johnson Leather Corp

Forever Sunglasses/USA Sunglasses

Fraser Lions Club

Fulmer Helmets

Gilles Tooling Gmbh

Goodyear Dunlop Tire N.A. Ltd.

Harley-Davidson, Inc.

History of Motorcycles

HJC Helmets

Honeywell

Hudson Leather Ltd LLC

Huron Township Rotary

IMS Souvenir Apparel

J & M Corp.

J & P Cycles

Jubilee - Great Products LLC

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.

Koso North America

Lance Powersports

Mackie Enterprises, Inc.

Master Formula

Met Life

Metro Triumph Riders

MG Direct Imports

MG Direct Imports - Batteries

MG Direct Imports -Shammy

Mini Masseuse

Motor City Harley-Davidson

Motorcycle Consumer News/Kas Associates

Motorcycle Girl WearNational Cycle, Inc.

NOHVCCOdyssey Batteries/Enersys

Ohlins USA, Inc.

Pirelli Tire North America

Progressive Casualty Insurance Group

Riders Helping Riders

Royal Purple Ltd.Service Pavilion

(The)Shammy Man

Shoei Helmets

Show Hub - Seminars

SP Leathers

Star Motorcycles

Suzuki Give-Away

Third Day Bike Werks

Twisted Throttle LLC

Ugly Fish Eyewear

US Motorcycle Gear

Vespa Brighton/Brighton Chrysler Dodge Jeep

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club-Novi

Watson Manufacturing

Welcome Center

Women's Boutique

Xpeed/J-Tech

Yamaha Motor Corp.,USA

Yuasa Battery Inc.

Yukon Jacks Leather

Zooke /Z Eyez

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I was told that Victory decided to forgo the bike shows so they could budget for two new demo semi trucks and trailers. I have been a part of the North American Auto Dealers Convention for the last eight years and with this economy, many vendors and manufacterers pared down their show budgets or are not attending all together. It's not indicative of a sinking ship, it's smart business.

The Seattle show had a Victory presence with Lynnwood Motorplex who put on an incredibly nice show with all of the Vic models including CR and XC's. Their booth space was PACKED.

These shows are more for the benefit of the local vendors so Vic's decision to decline attending is not a surprise.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can understand them wanting to keep expenses down but I really don't think this is the place to do it. This is a very nice show and when you walk in the doors you are greeted with 2 large Harley dealer displays. Vic used to have a nice display but will not be represented. This show is PACKED with people shopping new bikes, not smart to not be represented there.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
It may be a nice show, but do bike and auto shows really sell bikes? Not unless you have something new and exciting. Yes Vic has the XC ans XR but while they may be new, they are not exciting. They dont make the impact the Vegas or Vision made...

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I dont know necessarily how many bikes a Bike show will sell, however based on as many people that come up to me and say "What is that?" followed by "Who makes that?" I think they should be everywhere they can to get the name in front of people.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Shark said:
A few years ago it was gravy and reps/ dealers had the $ (to spend and write off) but you could consider it asbelt-tightening locally and not an indication of Victory's financial health.
Shark, I couldn't agree more. As a sales rep (bakery industry) we are doing the same thing. It is tough in this economy to know where to spend money so it will be the most effective. We are looking at doing things completly different then we have in the past. We have to with the economy the way it is and the competition doing all they can to beat us. So I am sure Victory is doing the same. The definition of insanity is "doing the same thing and expecting different results" So, hopefully Victory is making good finacial decisions to keep them in business.
BreadmanRo

·
Registered
252 Posts

Thismade me wonder about our local show so I just checked the Edmonton Motorcycle Show Exhibitors List for January 15-17and Victory Motorcycles is going to be there. Whewww.... I would hate to drive all that way tolook at Ducati's... :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I understand that Michigan is one of the hardest "hit" states in the country in terms of jobs lost, jobs growthand their overall economy. Not much going on there.. Victory's decision to pass on this show could be just a "routine" buisness decision...As mentioned above, they were verywell represented at the Seattle bike show...

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Good Companies make good business decisions. EVERYTHING a company spends money on is decided by ROI. If the Return on Investment was deemed not satisfactory for this event and a higher ROI is expected at another show, then the decision is easy. All publicly traded (I would guess a lot of privately held) companies are watched closely on Marketing and Sales expense as a percentage of sales. Sales are down so guess what, there budgets are down. Good decision IMO

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
elvis441 said:
dsjr70 said:
Vic has the XC ans XR but while they may be new, they are not exciting. They dont make the impact the Vegas or Vision made...
I couldn't disagree more.
I'm not saying they are not nice bikes but they were designed to go after the two HD models. The Vegas when it first came out was considered a production semi-custom and the Vision was extremely different then anything that was produced as far as style goes. The rest of the lineup consist of old designs, I would think next year they will probably be doing the shows if they update the line. If the X bikes hadn't already been released it would have been a great time to unveil them but there is not that much excitement when you can go to the dealer and see them.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dsjr70 said:
elvis441 said:
dsjr70 said:
Vic has the XC ans XR but while they may be new, they are not exciting. They dont make the impact the Vegas or Vision made...
I couldn't disagree more.
I'm not saying they are not nice bikes but they were designed to go after the two HD models. The Vegas when it first came out was considered a production semi-custom and the Vision was extremely different then anything that was produced as far as style goes. The rest of the lineup consist of old designs, I would think next year they will probably be doing the shows if they update the line. If the X bikes hadn't already been released it would have been a great time to unveil them but there is not that much excitement when you can go to the dealer and see them.
O.K. so they want to go head to head with HD, perfect. Well, HD IS AT THE SHOW!! As has been said, Victory has an identity problem as many people don't know much about them. If you want to get the name out there and get recognized thern put a display right next to the HD display with the new bikes. Yes, things are very bad here in Michigan but don't forget this is Oakland County. We are still one of the richest counties in the U.S. and we're chock full of baby boomers on HD's. There are atleast 4 HD dealers within a 30 minute drive of where I'm sitting right now.

Reactions: ahafi

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
It's not that I don't agree with you, but if I ran Victory and had a limited advertisment budget from Polaris I wouldn't want to go head to head with HD in Detroit. I would look into some other areas where Harley doesn't have a strangle hold. Miami is a great area, lots of people with lots of cash looking for something that is not an HD.Triumph and Ducati do very well down there, but Vic has no dealers there. Los Angeles (seems to me) another good place.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Barry said:
I thought Triumph had been skipping the cycle world shows for years.
Is that still true? If so, it doesn't seem to be hurting them any.
Triumph was not at this year or last years show here in San Mateo, Ca. (S.F. Bay Area) No Victory either. Was kind of disappointed but no big deal. Just wish my CC would get here soon. I'm chomping at the bit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.