VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a (new in July 09) 07 Kingpin with about 3000 miles on it. Being new to Victory and to this site, I don't know if this topic has been covered, but I'm getting a popping and backfire through my drag pipes. There's a lot of black soot on my fender and around the end of the pipes. I get kind of a fuel smell especially when I accelerate hard. I think it's running too rich, but the dealer says it's normal. Any feedback oradvise would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Welcome, and yes this has been covered a couple of times. On the right of your screen just below where it says my account, there is a search box. Type in backfire or popping and you probably will get 5 pages of threads.
To be honest it will pop, I dont think there is anyway around that unless you go back to stock. The black soot would be more of a concern for me.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
The dealer is probably right. We have discussed this a lot and Victory is not working on it. The performance pipes don't seem to get along well with the maps they use on your bike.

It does not hurt the bike. To stop it you would have to back up to at least the stage 1 slip on or the OEM mufflers.

So, you have to decide if you like the sound and look better than the popping.

Other much more knowledgeable folks may overrule my comments but I think I am right.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

Black soot may really be from start up. From everything I have read it seems that Vics start up very rich until they warm up and the computer "leans" things out.
The 07 has the "old style" Fuel Injection and a different airbox. You may be a candidate for adding a fuel controller that MAY help some of those issues.I had not heard or read of fuel smell before now.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Black soot may really be from start up. From everything I have read it seems that Vics start up very rich until they warm up and the computer "leans" things out.
The 07 has the "old style" Fuel Injection and a different airbox. You may be a candidate for adding a fuel controller that MAY help some of those issues.I had not heard or read of fuel smell before now.
Jim, can a fuel controller lean out a rich running Map? I was under the impression that it can only richen a Map it could not make it any leaner.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

My 09getsblack deposits on its fender too, more so at this time of the year with the cooler temps. When you start your bike do not blip the throtle until it has warmed up and do not drive away hard with a cold engine. Moisture in your pipes before they are hot enough to burn it off is probably the reason for the black soot deposits on your rear fender. As for the popping they all pop, you just don't hear it with stock pipes.I also have Stage 1 drag pipes installed on mine.
OT

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
dsjr70 said:
stilcrazee said:
Jim, can a fuel controller lean out a rich running Map? I was under the impression that it can only richen a Map it could not make it any leaner.
?? I don't have a clue about that. I thought I have read a few threads where the "tech" has advised an end user to lean it out.
KEVIN...YO KEVIN can you answer this please?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

The popping in the 08 can be taken care of if you get the right person to work on your bike. Lloydz Motorworkz. This popping is also caused by the driver and there driving habits.If you eliminate the blipping with throttle this will help.
Regards

·
Registered
326 Posts

Bruce said:
I have a (new in July 09) 07 Kingpin with about 3000 miles on it. Being new to Victory and to this site, I don't know if this topic has been covered, but I'm getting a popping and backfire through my drag pipes. There's a lot of black soot on my fender and around the end of the pipes. I get kind of a fuel smell especially when I accelerate hard. I think it's running too rich, but the dealer says it's normal. Any feedback oradvise would be appreciated. Thanks.
I had this problem with my 07 Jackpot, stage one drage pipes. My cat cons "fell out" nudge nudge, wink wink, of the pipes and I used the 05 Hammer download. My wife's '07 Hammer has aftermarket pipes with the 05 hammer download, that also works well. No more popping for me.
This is a local guy near Des Moines that fixed the popping in my bike.
http://www.thevicshop.com/
Thanks,
Barry

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would echo what others have said; Victorys pop. I have the swept pipes on mine and have come to really like the popping sound. It doesn't do it all the time... mostly at down shift. Sounds ominous!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fitted the shotties on my 08 KP Tour. Mine pops and backfires at times but it doesn't seam to worry the bike riders following me. I was aware of this problem with the bikes before I fitted the shotguns and I've found most is to do with that right hand on the throttle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.