VOG Forum banner

Victory Demo Truck Complaint!

6282 Views 87 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  dsjr70
Yeah I know Victory does nothing wrong, but they do some stupid crap from time to time. Rumor has it they put on a couple of extra demo trucks so they can be at all the events if dealers want them. Well the other day I find out that they are not going to be at Biketoberfest in Daytona because it is to expensive to reroute them from a normal dealer event to Daytona and back. Now okay, I can see if they scheduled the week before at a dealer in Texas then the week after at a dealer in Arizona it wouldnt be cost effective. BUT, they have more then one truck and the dealers pay for this service (probably not the whole amount).
Dont you think it would be smarter to schedule the rest of your dealer demo's around major motorcycle events and not the other way? So when I walk down Main Street this year there will be no corporate presence... There are only about 10 really major events a year and I feel Victory should make it a point to be at all of these...
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12,369 Posts
I think it is because the trucks support dealers. Do they have a dealer anywhere near Daytona? The purpose of the truck is to draw folks into the dealer and get them talking to sales guys. A Daytona Victory dealer would get thousands of walk through visitors anyhow. Then the question would be, do you let the drunks drive your bikes?

I would disagree on one thing about bike events. Folks that ride great distances to things like Daytona and Biketoberfest pretty much know the bike manufacturers. The guy on the Harley from Indiana is not likely to spend a day waiting for his turn to ride a bike. He is not looking at bikes to buy in Daytona. It interferes with getting drunk, falling down and getting drunk again.

I do see your point that it would be doable. But they would need a secure Victory dealer lot to setup wouldn't they? Is Volusia still a Vic dealer. Last I was there they had about 4 bikes and a frown on their faces. (2008)

· Registered
12,369 Posts
Thanks for clarifying it Don, I was thinking they may not want to send the truck to the Volusia I saw a while back. They try to send trucks to volume shops too so had visions of the old Volusia.

I am glad you understood what I wrote rather than look for a fight about something.

Even though according to our resident asshat, I was picking a fight.

· Registered
12,369 Posts
It appears much smaller but is still a huge event. I have been there twice and Spring Daytona once. Biketoberfest is smaller than our Republic of Texas rally but it is far from a small deal. Dealers should get huge foot traffic in the showrooms at that time.

I agree, if they are paying the freight, they deserve a truck.

· Registered
12,369 Posts
I think the semi custom, doesn't look like anybody else is a big factor for Vic buyers.

I have always said you won't get a branded person off a bike easily. They have to be in his or her face and available to ride. Not making entry level bikes with rare exceptions, Victory gets other companies riders to switch. That is a tough job.

Triumph Thunderbird got cruiser of the year in 2009 deserving every bit of the award by the way. Granted they are 6x larger than victory. You can find quality and power to match at the same price point for a cruiser and in touring. That Yamaha Stratoliner is a work of art. It remains a highly competitive market.

I think Don's point really isn't a statement of how many bikes bike week sells, or how many bikes the truck sells. I think his point is they were willing to pay for the truck. The big question would be to Victory, what would it hurt to send it?

I question its effectiveness but I think they deserved the truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.