VOG Forum banner

Victory Demo Truck Complaint!

6253 87
Yeah I know Victory does nothing wrong, but they do some stupid crap from time to time. Rumor has it they put on a couple of extra demo trucks so they can be at all the events if dealers want them. Well the other day I find out that they are not going to be at Biketoberfest in Daytona because it is to expensive to reroute them from a normal dealer event to Daytona and back. Now okay, I can see if they scheduled the week before at a dealer in Texas then the week after at a dealer in Arizona it wouldnt be cost effective. BUT, they have more then one truck and the dealers pay for this service (probably not the whole amount).
Dont you think it would be smarter to schedule the rest of your dealer demo's around major motorcycle events and not the other way? So when I walk down Main Street this year there will be no corporate presence... There are only about 10 really major events a year and I feel Victory should make it a point to be at all of these...
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Victory does a lot of things wrong but yeah why are they skipping a major event? Maybe they think the crowd isn't worth it.

·
Registered
12,107 Posts
I think it is because the trucks support dealers. Do they have a dealer anywhere near Daytona? The purpose of the truck is to draw folks into the dealer and get them talking to sales guys. A Daytona Victory dealer would get thousands of walk through visitors anyhow. Then the question would be, do you let the drunks drive your bikes?

I would disagree on one thing about bike events. Folks that ride great distances to things like Daytona and Biketoberfest pretty much know the bike manufacturers. The guy on the Harley from Indiana is not likely to spend a day waiting for his turn to ride a bike. He is not looking at bikes to buy in Daytona. It interferes with getting drunk, falling down and getting drunk again.

I do see your point that it would be doable. But they would need a secure Victory dealer lot to setup wouldn't they? Is Volusia still a Vic dealer. Last I was there they had about 4 bikes and a frown on their faces. (2008)

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

satxron said:
I think it is because the trucks support dealers. Do they have a dealer anywhere near Daytona? The purpose of the truck is to draw folks into the dealer and get them talking to sales guys. A Daytona Victory dealer would get thousands of walk through visitors anyhow. Then the question would be, do you let the drunks drive your bikes?

I would disagree on one thing about bike events. Folks that ride great distances to things like Daytona and Biketoberfest pretty much know the bike manufacturers. The guy on the Harley from Indiana is not likely to spend a day waiting for his turn to ride a bike. He is not looking at bikes to buy in Daytona. It interferes with getting drunk, falling down and getting drunk again.

I do see your point that it would be doable. But they would need a secure Victory dealer lot to setup wouldn't they? Is Volusia still a Vic dealer. Last I was there they had about 4 bikes and a frown on their faces. (2008)
Volusia still is a dealer and actually one of the strongest in Florida. Allot has changed since 2008 and they are taking Victory and Polaris very seriously instead of a side line.
Biketoberfest unlike Bike week is more of a regional event, not so much of the national event like Bike Week. There is always a line at these events and lets face it, if the dealer wasnt making sales because of these events they wouldn't pay for it. It comes out of the dealers bottom line. The bottom line is the dealer does want it, he is paying for it and it is a major event. Victory should be there anyway, what was the reason forputting more demo trucks on the road.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I would tend to agree with Redpin, they don't just blow of a major event off. Could be they getmore business at a dealer.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I can certainly respect the frugal-ness of Victory as it has been the main reason why they have come through this 2nd great depression still standing, but at some point there has to be a little common sense.

The thing I can't figure out is why Victory wouldn't have national or regional or state budgets/funds (paid for by dealership rebate holdbacks) to cover the costs of these events. Sturgis is an obvious, but this is a Regional event. Much like the Laughlin River run is in April out here, why not pull funds from a regional or state budget allotment to cover the costs. We do this in our company all the time. it becomes money available the to local dealership groups that can ONLY be used to market the product line.

We do this in our industry/company all the time and it is VERY affective. As a manufacturer, we hold back rebate dollars in an advertising fund that are then dispersed throughout the year in local, regional, and national advertising and marketing events. This way Victory could control some of the local marketing and penetrate certain markets more affectively without having to pull funds from a corporate pocketbook. It also pushes the dealerships to look at these opportunities on behalf of the brand as they are usually more in-tune with what events will really help to push sales.

Sometimes I wish I worked for Victory as I could help them grow marketshare so easily.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

phoenix9 said:
I can certainly respect the frugal-ness of Victory as it has been the main reason why they have come through this 2nd great depression still standing, but at some point there has to be a little common sense.

The thing I can't figure out is why Victory wouldn't have national or regional or state budgets/funds (paid for by dealership rebate holdbacks) to cover the costs of these events. Sturgis is an obvious, but this is a Regional event. Much like the Laughlin River run is in April out here, why not pull funds from a regional or state budget allotment to cover the costs. We do this in our company all the time. it becomes money available the to local dealership groups that can ONLY be used to market the product line.

We do this in our industry/company all the time and it is VERY affective. As a manufacturer, we hold back rebate dollars in an advertising fund that are then dispersed throughout the year in local, regional, and national advertising and marketing events. This way Victory could control some of the local marketing and penetrate certain markets more affectively without having to pull funds from a corporate pocketbook. It also pushes the dealerships to look at these opportunities on behalf of the brand as they are usually more in-tune with what events will really help to push sales.

Sometimes I wish I worked for Victory as I could help them grow marketshare so easily.
Great idea's.... But (you knew there was going to be a but) the dealer pays for the truck out of his pocket (at a discount) and they did put more trucks on the road so why miss an event at the dealers expense?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
dsjr70 said:
phoenix9 said:

Great idea's.... But (you knew there was going to be a but) the dealer pays for the truck out of his pocket (at a discount) and they did put more trucks on the road so why miss an event at the dealers expense?
That's just the thing....the funds would be sitting there (in a "use it or lose it" fund) and either Victory or the state/regional dealers could make the decision to attend the event. If such a fund existed and I was Volusia I would be talking to the other local Vic dealers and say "this is one of the events that were gonna have Victory attend using our "regional advertising funds".......they already paid into the fund with rebate holdbacks so it really is the dealership money and Victory just schedules the event and pulls that cost out of that fund.....but the dealer doesn't have to pony up a penny out of their own pocket to get Victory to show up with a truck.

Also, if such a fund existed, this is where a really good Victory Regional manufacturers rep should be on the horn with all his dealers saying "hey guys, we have these funds sitting here. Let's use them on this event. I'll show up and I think you guys should send a guy to help man the booth." Again, this is a partnership and these are the types of things that separate the men from the boys in business.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

RedRyder said:
"Rumor has it..." Need I say more?
Does anyone have any FACTS?
Maybe the demo truck won't be there and the truck that shows the Vic line will be?
Must be raining to post about rumors?
The fact is they put on more trucks, that I know. the rumor part is how many, I have heard as little as two and as many as 4. There will be no truck of either type at the event.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
dsjr70 said:
RedRyder said:
Maybe the demo truck won't be there and the truck that shows the Vic line will be?
The fact is they put on more trucks, that I know. the rumor part is how many, I have heard as little as two and as many as 4. There will be no truck of either type at the event.
Looks like they have three. If they believe based onFacts that they obviously have,it must bemore financial beneficialfor them to get the truck to a Dealer Vs going to the event.
I do not think they will go out of business because they are not attending Biketoberfeast.

WHERE DO I FIND ONE?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY][TR][TD]

[TBODY][TR][TD="bgcolor: #b5b6b5"]Aug
[TBODY]

[TR][TD]24 - 25
[TBODY]

[TR][TD]Tue-Wed
[TBODY]

[/TBODY]​
[/TD]
[TD] Polaris Motorsports
Waukon, IA [/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]24 - 25[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]Tue-Wed[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]​
[/TD]
[TD] Motor-Vation
Mechanicsburg, PA [/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]25[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]Wed[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]​
[/TD]
[TD] Mies Outland LLC
Watkins, MN [/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]27 - 28[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]Fri-Sat[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]​
[/TD]
[TD] Valley Cycle & Motorsports
Bakersfield, CA [/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD]27 - 29[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]Fri-Sun[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]​
[/TD]
[TD] Randy's Cycle
Marengo, IL [/TD][/TR]

[/TD]
[TD] Kline Motorsports
Maplewood, MN [/TD][/TR][/TBODY]
[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]​
[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]
[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bubba said:
dsjr70 said:
RedRyder said:
Looks like they have three. If they believe based onFacts that they obviously have,it must bemore financial beneficialfor them to get the truck to a Dealer Vs going to the event.
I do not think they will go out of business because they are not attending Biketoberfeast.

WHERE DO I FIND ONE?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY][TR][TD]

[TBODY]

[TR][TD]24 - 25
[TBODY]

[TR][TD]Tue-Wed
[TBODY]

[/TBODY]​
[/TD]
[TD] Polaris Motorsports
Waukon, IA [/TD][/TR]

[/TD]
[TD] Motor-Vation

[TR][TD]25[/TD][/TR]
[/TD]
[TD] Mies Outland LLC
Watkins, MN [/TD][/TR]

[/TD]

[/TD]
[TD] Randy's Cycle
Marengo, IL [/TD][/TR]

[/TD]
[TD] Kline Motorsports
[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]​
[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]
[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]
Oh, how I hate to correct you... But it is so much fun :) Taken from the Victory website....
We've got six FUEL IT Demo Tour trucks stopping at Victory dealerships to give you the opportunity to ride. Grab a friend and experience a Victory.
Like you, we've got a passion for riding. Take a Victory demo ride and FUEL IT.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bubba said:
it must bemore financial beneficialfor them to get the truck to a Dealer Vs going to the event.

WHERE DO I FIND ONE?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY][TR][TD]

[TBODY]

[TR][TD]24 - 25
[TBODY]

[TR][TD]Tue-Wed
[TBODY]

[/TBODY]​
[/TD]
[TD] Polaris Motorsports
Waukon, IA [/TD][/TR]

[/TD]
[TD] Motor-Vation

[TR][TD]25[/TD][/TR]
[/TD]
[TD] Mies Outland LLC
Watkins, MN [/TD][/TR]

[/TD]

[/TD]
[TD] Randy's Cycle
Marengo, IL [/TD][/TR]

[/TD]
[TD] Kline Motorsports
[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]​
[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]
[/TD][/TR][/TBODY]
The dealer is in the middle of the event, who is talking about Victory going out of business? I am talking about a DEALER wanting corporate support for a major regional event. Evidently the dealer sees the need for it since he is willing to pay for the truck. Step away from the Koolaid, that is the exact reason I started this thread with the statement Victory does no wrong because I knew there would be a comment like this. This has nothing to do with Victory going out of business!
Lovingly
Don

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Lets go back to the end of 09. Did the Dealer ask to reserve the truck for the event? Vic sends out a Calendar for all the events at the beginning of the year, why is it an issue now? Two sides to every story.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
The Dealer may not have realized that Victory was not going to attend. Again, it is my personal opinion that marketing the brand is a partnership between the Manufacturer and the Dealers, and both parties need to keep their "eye on the ball" so to speak.

Dealers need to look at their own areas and see where they need representation and marketing muscle, and the Manufacturer needs to have strong Regional Reps that are working the area and making sure all his regional bases are covered. I still have no idea how a Regional Rep working the southeast US does not look at an annual event like Daytona Biketoberfest and not ask himself "Are we gonna have representation at the event?" How the hell does this guy get paid?

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

bubba said:
Lets go back to the end of 09. Did the Dealer ask to reserve the truck for the event? Vic sends out a Calendar for all the events at the beginning of the year, why is it an issue now? Two sides to every story.
Actually they did, the problem is not that the week isnt available, it's because they schedule events in Texas before and after the event so they dont want to send the truck to Florida and back. My dealer has had them for every bike week and biketoberfest since becoming a dealer and I believe he had them for two weekends last October. Since they have added trucks it should be a no brainer to be at one of the largest events in the Southeast during our riding season. Yes, there are two sides to every story and most of the times three but I still feel it is idiotic to miss the largest event in the Southeast and miss out on helping a dealer that is asking for it. These demo ride evidently sell bikes or the dealers wouldnt want them, what better time to get in peoples faces that ride twice a year in Florida...

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

phoenix9 said:
The Dealer may not have realized that Victory was not going to attend. Again, it is my personal opinion that marketing the brand is a partnership between the Manufacturer and the Dealers, and both parties need to keep their "eye on the ball" so to speak.

Dealers need to look at their own areas and see where they need representation and marketing muscle, and the Manufacturer needs to have strong Regional Reps that are working the area and making sure all his regional bases are covered. I still have no idea how a Regional Rep working the southeast US does not look at an annual event like Daytona Biketoberfest and not ask himself "Are we gonna have representation at the event?" How the hell does this guy get paid?
Mark, it is my understanding that none of the events in my area are factory events, there is always a dealer paying for it and I believe for Bike Week at the Speedway all 3 dealers chip in on the expenses.
My regional rep is fairly new and I am not sure where he came from. He could have been brought over from the Polaris side when they merged the positions and shipped my rep to Kevin's area. Cant fault them for that, no sense having two reps call on the same area but the one I lost was much cuter :)

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Don, I would figure that none of the events are factory events. You are saying the dealer is willing to pay for the truck but he can't get it? I see your point: where the hell are all 6 trucks.

To Bubba's point, I'd have to blame both the dealer and the regional rep for dropping the ball a year ago when they should have booked something.......again, you may have a new rep that didn't even have the job a year ago.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.