VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always understood "The Metrics" To be the big 4 Honda Suzuki kawasaki and yamaha.
And yet whenever i go to a bike site , they list Victory With them.
Case in Point, I just went to J%P Cycles and there it is, under Metrics.
HD has their own, category, why not Vic?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
"I always understood "The Metrics" To be the big 4 Honda Suzuki kawasaki and yamaha."
Metric is a type of measurement not country of origin.

Be glad companies are carrying Victory stuff. It's been a long slow road. I am sure that many of these companies have parts leftover from every attempt to bring back Indian and Excelsior-Henderson. I give the Indian attempts 2 thumbs down but I like the E-H. Too bad they did not understand the concept of a budget.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Clubford00 said:
I always understood "The Metrics" To be the big 4 Honda Suzuki kawasaki and yamaha.
I was talking to the J&P folks at the Motorcycle show last year, they told me that thereare not enough aftermarket parts for Vicsas of yet to justify their own catalog.
Like Sutherland says, we can be happy they are listing parts even if it's in Jap bike catalog.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Metric measurement came in to use some time in the 70's, and every new type of vehicle uses metric system. Since HD is old school and not considered "new" they retain sae measurement system. If they change to a "new" style of bike they too will become metric. Someone may chime in and explain this mo' better.........

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
i always thought it odd that vic uses metric fasteners....must be cheaper...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

onerider said:
Metric measurement came in to use some time in the 70's, and every new type of vehicle uses metric system. Since HD is old school and not considered "new" they retain sae measurement system. If they change to a "new" style of bike they too will become metric. Someone may chime in and explain this mo' better.........
Metric=Japanese
American=Victory and Harley Davidson

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

If my memory is correct, there was a big move in the early to mid 70's to convert everyone everywhereto metric, make it simple.The only one as far as I remember that wouldn't change was thegood old USA, something about no one was going to tell them what to do and the cost of changing over was to much.
Regards

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
spider said:
Clubford00 said:
I was talking to the J&P folks at the Motorcycle show last year, they told me that thereare not enough aftermarket parts for Vicsas of yet to justify their own catalog.
Like Sutherland says, we can be happy they are listing parts even if it's in Jap bike catalog.
Bingo! With a little over 50,000 bikes and the replacement of catalogs by the internet it just wouldn't make sense to give them their own catalog until the aftermarket catches up. Right now we have allot of little companies making a few parts.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
spider said:
onerider said:
Metric=Japanese
What about the Europeans :)

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Too me a "metric" is any foreign branded especially asian bike. It has nothing to do with metric or sae fasteners being used. Victory and HD are American bikes, not metric. It's like Chevrolet (which uses all metric fasteners), hot dogs and apple pie!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Metric/S.A.E.....Who really gives crap? The bike is made in America, by an American company, using American labor. If they can find a way to make Gummy Bears work for bolts, more power to 'em.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

phoenix9 said:
Metric/S.A.E.....Who really gives crap? The bike is made in America, by an American company, using American labor. If they can find a way to make Gummy Bears work for bolts, more power to 'em.
Don't care where the measuring system is from, just where my motorcycle is from.
OP was asking why an American Motorcycle was in a metric ( japanese ) catalog, I answered what I knew.
I might like gummy bears for tires, may stick better, not for my axles though.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
dsjr70 said:
spider said:
onerider said:
Metric=Japanese
What about the Europeans :)
Not American, not Japanese but definitly have some beautiful machines.
And they should not be lumped in either group above, but in their own class.

·
Registered
27 Posts

You guys just kill me with this obsession over HD. If you like your bike that is all that matters. Why do you have to dwell over whether it uses the same bolts as HD or not. All the big four make great bikes and if the truth be told better bikes than HD in a LOT of ways. If you feel that your less of a person or your bike isn't as good as an HD then I would advise you to trade and get an HD so you'll feel better about yourself. So many people fall into this sub-standard bike complex fueled by the HD fanatics.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
FullCircle said:
You guys just kill me with this obsession over HD. If you like your bike that is all that matters. Why do you have to dwell over whether it uses the same bolts as HD or not. All the big four make great bikes and if the truth be told better bikes than HD in a LOT of ways. If you feel that your less of a person or your bike isn't as good as an HD then I would advise you to trade and get an HD so you'll feel better about yourself. So many people fall into this sub-standard bike complex fueled by the HD fanatics.
Just wondering who you are referring to on this ?
My obsession with HD ended when I bought a better made American Motorcycle, my Vic.
All four, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki make HD clones, Vic makes Vics.
To each is own, ride what ya like.
I'll stick with American made, just feels better to me.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I thought metrics date back to early Japanese copies of British bikes like 650 BSA.s copied with changes like swapping sides for mounting brake and gear levers. My Dad would not ride my old hondas because he said they were built back to front. He had a BSA 250 sixty years ago. My first rides were on a 350 AJS then a 125 BSA Bantam and an old Royal Enfield, al with left foot gear changing 40 years ago. They were old bikes which had done there time as road bikes then sold as paddock bikes Real imperial bikes complete with oil leaks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.