Vickie went down... :( | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Vickie went down... :(

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by JudgeRedd, Jun 14, 2021.

1. JudgeRedd

JudgeRedd Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2022 BMW R1250RT, 2014 Victory Judge (RIP)
    Looks like my baby is probably done for. I went down this past Friday on a guys trip to West Virginia. We got caught in some heavy downpours. I'm still fumed about the whole thing, and it's not concluded with the insurance company yet- so this is the short version.

Bad vis due to the rain- coming down a steep hill to a funky "Y" shaped intersection.. But that was not the problem. The idea was to veer left, and we were slowing down to do that. Front tire just slipped out at about 20 mph or so. (Not a spectacular crash, for sure.) Could have been some automotive fluid or just fine gravel being washed down the hill. I say "fine" because I do not recall seeing or feeling like I hit any pebbles of any size..

I'm assuming it must have caught hard and pivoted my ass end around because I recall briefly looking back up the hill from which I came and then I was separated from the bike and sent sliding across the pavement for about 15-20 feet or so.. maybe a little less- not really certain about this.. But I am certain that this will prove to be a really good thing.

Despite only having non armored raingear on- I have sustained exactly NO injuries whatsoever. My raincoat has 2 or 3 holes in it- a couple of 2-4 inch rectangles. My non armored rain pants are unscathed. Small scuff on helmet. Being chucked off like a frisbee prevented me from suffering a likely serious leg injury or god knows what else. In fact- I came to a rest with a sign post right at perfect arms length, and immediate pulled my self up- and ran over to the bike.. I say ran- it was like 7 feet away if that.. and tried to lift it up..

By that time my friend had run up and was like "Dude.. sit the **** down are you ok?!" "Yes goddamn it- Pick it up!! Pick it up!!" As if picking it up was going to change anything...

So at first glance- one might think this is repairable. I doubt that, personally. I doubt the parts are available, and I doubt that the cost to fix will make sense even if they are. The stuff you can see- Damage to forks, tank, footpeg mounts/ shifter assembly swingarm as the main items- and a lot of damage to a variety ofsmaller stuff too, plus what you cannot see until you get it apart. The right side looks completely normal from most angles (except the front right) I stayed in WV for 2 days trying to rent a truck- not happening. There were no rental trucks or cars anywhere in the reasonable vicinity to get the bike or myself home. The bike remains in WV today- I am home.

So a couple things here to get out of the way. Don't be insulted. These decisions I've made are based on what's best for me.. If they say that they can fix it- I'll act on that. Assuming totaled- the bike will NOT be purchased back by me as a project or parts bike. I have neither the time, tools, or inclination to rebuild it myself. I am not going to deal with parting it out slowly. I am simply not interested in hearing about how and why I should go that route. Not happening.

As much as I love the brand- it's unlikely I will get another. You never know of course, but right now I do not feel like that's something I would do. Like any purchase- it just depends on the timing and the deal. Aftermarket support is still pretty good today, but this has been and will continue to wane over time.

Once this is over- I will probably be selling a few odds and ends. Off top of my head- I have the oem backrest (made of pure unobtainium) I have a unopened complete set of OEM backrest and saddlebag mounting spools. I have a red vic tank badge with the USA on it. Maybe some assorted clothing. Other than the backrest which might ignite a bidding war- nothing too crazy.

Am I getting another bike? We'll see how that works out. I still have some things to weigh in my own mind about continuing to ride- but I've been on 2 wheels since I was a little kid. I'm in decent shape with most of my marbles. I'm also about to turn 50, and I have just managed to dodge injury or death. We'll see.

My plan was to keep Vickie, and add a comfortable tourer to the stable. I had it narrowed down to 2 bikes. 2021 BMW R1250RT was the primary. The 2021 Wing (manual) was the distant second. I am well aware of the differences regarding the cost to buy (very little), and the potential cost to own both.. Zero interest in HD, and it would take an EXTRAORDINARY set of circumstances to get me to buy an Indian.

I also wanted to thank Rob @Squatch - Rob was going to drop everything and drive well over 300 miles (6+ hours- not much interstate nearby) right then and there to pick me and the bike up. He had just spent the entire day rebuilding his road and driveway after 8 inches of rain pretty much washed it all away. At this point late in the day Saturday, It was too late to get to the bike. It was also not accessible for the rest of the weekend anyway- and I had already been at it all day. I had given up after hours calling about rentals. I had already uploaded pics for the adjuster and let him know where it would be.

That's a good friend right there.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  2. PJRo

PJRo Well-Known Member

2013 Victory Hammer 8-Ball
    Sorry bout the bike ....very glad you are good.

Bikes are machines.....replaceable.....

That @Squatch ...... good man !!

Peter

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  3. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    Best part of your post! Hang in there @JudgeRedd

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    @JudgeRedd I'm very relieved to hear you are OK. I reckon you'll have to see how things play out, but I understand where you are coming from. If the same thing happened to me and I was gonna have to buy the bike back as a salvage title etc. I would not do it. As much as I love this Vision, I would not do it. For me it's not so much I would not have another Victory, I'm not sure I'm up to another super heavy. At 60, it's time for me to downsize. It's the very reason I got the Trophy SE when I had the opportunity.

Best of luck to you. I hope it all works out. And a shout out to @Squatch , man. Not many would step up like that.

• Like Like x 4
  5. JudgeRedd

JudgeRedd Well-Known Member

2022 BMW R1250RT, 2014 Victory Judge (RIP)
    Yeah I'm fully aware that there is potential for more money with selling parts- but dealing with an endless parade of dipshits who waste your time (and outright thieves & scammers) renders this option a non starter for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 13SicVic

13SicVic Well-Known Member

2013 Victory Cross Country
    Sorry to hear about your crash and likely loss of your bike. That ALL sucks.
    The fact that you weren’t hurt at all is a blessing.
    All the best to you whatever you decide.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mitchluv1

mitchluv1 Member

Magnum
    Glad you where able to walk away from the skid. Bikes can be replaced you can’t.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pauljp

Pauljp Well-Known Member

2014 Cross County Tour
    Sorry to hear about your bike man but really glad you got away without a scratch.
    And best endeavors on your chosen path.

• Like Like x 1
  9. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Glad to hear you walked away. Looks like your walking away again and I understand. Take your time and count those blessings. Life is unpredictable and sometimes you just gotta stop and breath clearly for a while. Best of luck to you JR.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. don07tncav

don07tncav Active Member

Two 2009 Victory Visions and 1975 RE5 Suzuki
    Glad you are ok and hate to hear about the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    @JudgeRedd, so glad you’re physically ok! Hallelujah. From your description the bike is certain to be totaled. But don’t expect mercy from what the insurance company may say it’s worth.

I have 10 years on you and also would not be at all interested in rebuilding or parting anything out. If I could, I’d likely get a Highball or a Boardwalk instead of another CCT though. My wife has 10 year on me and she’s likely done riding due to back issues.

Or maybe an all black Moto Guzzi Eldorado 1400. But pretty much no one but me would want a 9 model year old CCT with close to 85K miles on it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blackened

Blackened Well-Known Member

2002 VFR, 2013 Vegas 8-ball, 2018 Indian Scout Bobber
    Man I'm so glad you are OK. Going down is a scary venture at any speed. I wrecked in my 20's and it put me off riding for another 20 years. Take your time with the decision on when to climb back on. For some it's the next day, for others it's 20 years later or in some cases never again. No matter what you choose It's not a good or a bad thing... It is a "ready" thing.

All that said, I'm really sorry to hear about your bike man. The Judge was a badass beast for sure. I'm brand agnostic so I don't much care who makes the two wheels you put under you. If you decide to get back in the saddle I'll ride with you anytime.

• Like Like x 2
  13. T0ng5

T0ng5 Active Member

2012 Crossroads, Mrs. rides a 2006 Vegas premium
    Glad you're safe bud, and best of luck to you. I hope you keep riding but do what's best for you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Glad you are all in one piece @JudgeRedd Do whatever is best for you. We won’t hold anything against ya.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Well that totally sucks. Very happy to read you are good. Where in WV is it? If I can help some how, please reach out.

• Like Like x 1