VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2013 VIC XCT for sale, about 2100 miles away. Low miles and great price. The dealership offers free shipping. I'm skeptical about the shipping. Does anyone have experience getting a bike shipped from out of state? I live too far away from the location to ride it home, 3-4 day ride. It's not summer time so I think I'll pass. It seem strange to buy a bike without actually touching it. Typically what guarantees do shops offer on bikes bought from out of state? Is there anything I should request the dealer to do prior to shipping? My current Honda VTX is up for sale so I may be pulling the trigger on a VIC soon.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Where do you live? I would guess there are just as good of deals a lot closer to you. 2,100 miles seems a long way. And if it’s “that good” of a deal, I would think someone in the area would already snag it up.

Remember, if a deal seems “too good”, it probably is not what you expect it to be.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you live? I would guess there are just as good of deals a lot closer to you. 2,100 miles seems a long way. And if it's "that good" of a deal, I would think someone in the area would already snag it up.

Remember, if a deal seems "too good", it probably is not what you expect it to be.
2013 VIX XCT with 4826 miles. I could probably get it for $9000-$9500./ Im in Oregon, it's in Wisconsin

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a 2015 about 300 miles away with 10608 miles on it. I could got get it for about $9500-$10000. Decisions decisions.
:dance:

Reactions: JamesBond

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I bought my Cross Country I found on the internet from a dealer in Katy Texas. I arranged for the shipping to California and it all went smooth. I'd do it again. The $500 shipping was cheaper than plane tickets and motels to ride it home.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
If you are sold on the one in WI, I bet you can find a couple folks on here that might go take a look at it for you, maybe take it for a spin. Depends on the weather and the location. What's "low miles"? Check the VIN and also make sure it's not a rebuild. They rolled the cost of shipping into the sales price, wouldn't be that concerned about it and they probably get good rates dealer-to-dealer. If it was me and I was set on that one, I'd maybe have it shipped to TVS in Iowa and let Rylan at it for the winter then fly out and ride it home in the Spring. But, that's just me. Is that the White/Grey one in Auburn? It's a sharp ride and only a day's ride home if you are in a hurry to get on it.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
If the dealer sells large bikes, they should be in possession of crates that will fit the bike and know how to secure it sturdily on one. Phone them and ask them about doing it for you.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
There is a 2015 about 300 miles away with 10608 miles on it. I could got get it for about $9500-$10000. Decisions decisions.
:dance:
I'd personally go for this newer one. Probably get it for the same price (or if you have cash, you can probably get it even cheaper). 10k miles is nothing for a Vic. I'd also be less concerned about this one and sitting/rotting rubber parts than a 2013 with 1/2 the miles.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had a 2001 Kawasaki Drifter shipped from California to my place in NY State.
No problems. It was strapped to a palate ,

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Remember that 10K miles is but 2 oil changes. About as far as I ride every season. That mileage is NOTHING. The engine is still wearing in to where it’ll be perfect.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I had a 2001 Kawasaki Drifter shipped from California to my place in NY State.
No problems. It was strapped to a palate ,
Strapped to a pallet.
A palate is the roof of the mouth! Sorry, but I just had to correct this!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Strapped to a pallet.
A palate is the roof of the mouth! Sorry, but I just had to correct this!!
No really, there was a guy in the back of the truck with a strap coming out of his mouth.
I had to reach in there and unhook it from his palate.

• Haha
Reactions: timtim

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
You forgot to mention that scenario. Sounds plausible. I guess. :bsflag:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a 2013 XC tour for sale in Happy Valley with 4K for $12,800. Looks just like mine. See my pic to the left.
No shipping. You can get it under you and giver a spin and go home with it.
Looks nice. Wife is not a fan of Joker green with flames. Since wife rides with me, she gets to put in her 2 cents. I must also have the tour pack. The white/gray one in Auburn looks nice. Waiting on the mileage report on one in Albany gold/black. Thanks for the offer. Why are you getting rid of it?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
He's not, it's just same color scheme. If I recall, the one he's talking about has a color matched trunk and it's been up for sale for probably going on a year now. Plus, I am not sure we need more of this color in Oregon, makes it less custom, so if you could just ignore it and work on solid colors, that's good for me.

I hated the color when I saw it first, but after a couple days thinking about it, it really grew on me and had to call my dealer to have him hold it. But I had to wait until they opened after their sun/mon weekend, excruciating since I decided on Sunday after looking at it on Thursday.

Anyway, don't get dissuaded if neither of them pans out, there will be more over the winter and through the spring and the prices may come down a little depending on the motivational level of the seller.

Reactions: 13SicVic

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He's not, it's just same color scheme. If I recall, the one he's talking about has a color matched trunk and it's been up for sale for probably going on a year now. Plus, I am not sure we need more of this color in Oregon, makes it less custom, so if you could just ignore it and work on solid colors, that's good for me.

I hated the color when I saw it first, but after a couple days thinking about it, it really grew on me and had to call my dealer to have him hold it. But I had to wait until they opened after their sun/mon weekend, excruciating since I decided on Sunday after looking at it on Thursday.

Anyway, don't get dissuaded if neither of them pans out, there will be more over the winter and through the spring and the prices may come down a little depending on the motivational level of the seller.
Fingers crossed. I would really be happy having either one in my garage. I like to ride year round, as long as it isn't frozen or steady raining. I just may have to get my wife to understand why there will be 2 bikes in the garage this winter. My VTX may not sell until spring.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I rode past 2 days, was 44-48 around here but I'm missing some rubber in the center of my rear tire, so I'm keeping local until I can replace both tires. I don't even mind the rain unless it's 44-48 out, then it sucks. Might have to dig out the full face before long. Good news is you have something to ride anyway, so if you can wait it out and see what comes around, you might be rewarded.

Reactions: 13SicVic

·
Registered
404 Posts
I bought a bike in Muscle Shoals Alabama and Keyboard Shipping got it to NJ with no probs. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.