VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set in flat black. They seemed to just not stand out enough. So I thought I would strip them and see if they look better polished. went to Orielys and bought Mouthwash Liquid Bottle Product Fluid

After two coats and attempts it came off. This was a pretty nasty thing to have to do. I coud have bought them raw and saved myself money and trouble. Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle
original flat black coating.
Sleeve Creative arts Triangle Circle Craft

Triangle Textile Wood Headgear Creative arts

Grille Building Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

I will be trying some 1500 grit next. Thoughts?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Only had flat black when I ordered also lol. Wanted gloss to match 8 ball but don’t mind them . Curious to see what you do.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only had flat black when I ordered also lol. Wanted gloss to match 8 ball but don't mind them . Curious to see what you do.
I plan to leave them clear/polished. If it looks to bright I will try to accent it with black.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a Key fob made by James Newell on one of the Facebook pages. He also made my cam covers that match my fob. You can see the cam covers in my last pic above. His prices are amazingly good for his custom handmade product. He can do ALOT of variations.

Reactions: NSANE530

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I give up. No matter what I do I cannot polish out the light scratches. Also there are swirl marks I can't get out perhaps from roughing them to powder coat them. The amount of money I have spent on sandpaper, buffing compounds and buffing wheels I could have had them chromed already lol.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well I give up. No matter what I do I cannot polish out the light scratches. Also there are swirl marks I can't get out perhaps from roughing them to powder coat them. The amount of money I have spent on sandpaper, buffing compounds and buffing wheels I could have had them chromed already lol.
I think they look pretty good. My metal polishing usually ends up in a more brushed look. I have grown very fond of the Brushed look.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Work your paper from 1500-2000-3000-4000. This should remove all scratches and then you should be able to machine polish them with minimal effort. If you have swirls, the polish compound was too aggressive and you need to finish with something like a Mothers or Blue Magic paste using a foam buffing pad. Best of luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.