VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to read through the federal laws for vehicle lighting along with my state's. I want to put a set of custom led lights on my bike. Since I am building the system from scratch I can have the system do whatever I want it to do.

I was thinking about a running light mode when system is first turned on. I've been reading the laws and I get confused on what is allowed and what isn't.

It seems auxiliary lights can only be white. But when searching most articles/laws talk about daytime running lights. Well, those are forward and rear facing lights with very specific regulations. I was wondering about side lights.

I have seen running board lights on a truck. Though base done what I have been reading those are illegal at the federal level.

does anyone know the law? I am looking for the actual references that regulate this. I would like to know if you can have extra lights on a bike? If so how many, what colors, how bright, and where they can be.

·
Registered
250 Posts
the law will vary state to state, unless you are using your bike to transport goods from state to state, then the fed laws will apply ;)

I suggest doing a search in your state's vehicle laws or dmv. A call to the local police will also help you.

As to side lighting, it is probably permitted so long as it does not impede the vision of other drivers. So, side marker lights should be permitted.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
well the Vision's have side marker lights as a factory option so I'm guessing what ever they did is 50 state legal.

Reactions: Pjv1k

·
Registered
255 Posts

As was said, the laws vary. The best option would be to get a copy of your State's vehicle code where it has to be specifically spelled out. Your local library probably has, or can get, a copy.As for asking someone at the DMV or a police officer, you may get the right answer or you may not, not each of them will know every specific of every regulation. I know that in Illinois, it is illegal to have any blue light of any kind on a vehicle except for police and Atomic Energy Commission vehicles.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know there will be difference from state to state. BUT there are also federal laws that provide a base. Federal law is what says flashing red is to be used by law enforcement. Federal law does specify side markers. You can only have two (near the front and near the rear) and they have to within a certain height range off the ground. The federal law is to provide a common idea across the nation (so blue isn't emergency in one area and gren is emergency in another area).

Since I don't see much on running lights in federal I have been looking at state law. MN and WI state law is very vague on the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.