Vegas 8-Ball Fuel Pump Saga | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Vegas 8-Ball Fuel Pump Saga

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by marshjil, Oct 31, 2016.

1. marshjil

marshjil New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
    2013 Vegas 8-Ball started blowing fuel pump fuses. Bike would run for about 5 seconds and then cut out, blowing the fuse. I took the pump/regulator assembly out of the tank. I connected the pump to the electrical leads and turned on the key. The pump cycled but did not blow the fuse. Something grounding out in the pump? BTW, there is a recall for my year of bike for a pump issue but the dealer said my bike didn't fall into the recall. Anyway, I started doing research on a new pump. The pumps that came up on the internet (ebay) weren't the same as what I had on the bike. The dealer wanted $420.00 for a new assembly. I found one on ebay that looked exactly like the one out of my tank for $200.00. So I took apart the assembly and looked up the pump. It's a Bosch F 01R 00R 026. I Googled it and came up with pump for a Hyundai. I looked it up on Autozone and the pump was exactly the same. I realize that flow rates and PSI can be different from pump to pump but I took a chance. The pump is a Spectra Premium 5211009 and is $61.99. A minor difference is the inlet nipple from the regulator. The new pump is smooth while the original is ribbed. No problem though. The connection is tight and the new pump is supplied with two hose clamps. I put the pump in and installed the assembly. The bike started and ran past the 5 second mark (no blown fuse), settled to an idle and runs well. Test drive was successful.
    UPDATE: Dec 21. Bike runs well in traffic as well as highway speeds. No sputtering. Smooth, consistent idle. Still unsure about psi and flow rates of the original and this replacement pump. Any mechanics out there with shop manuals that can help?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision 08
    we are all wonder how or where did you come up with the Hyundai pump.
    My pump is still good but have tried to find a replacement pump with no luck.

3. marshjil

marshjil New Member

I did a Google search on the Bosch pump number and one of the links was for a Hyundai pump on a webpage. There was a picture on that page of the pump and it looked exactly like the one on my 8-ball. I went to Autozone and searched for a Hyundai fuel pump and the Specter pump came up. It was the same except for the smooth inlet nipple. For $61 I decided to take a chance on it and it works fine. I tried to search for psi ratings and flow rates to be sure but couldn't find anything so I gambled that the Hyundai pump would fit the bill. So far it does.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision 08
    so you could do a fuel pressure test now to see if its putting out 50 psi

5. marshjil

marshjil New Member

Where would I put the pressure gauge? Both connections of the fuel line from the tank are quick connect.