VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been chasing ghosts for years in my 00 v92sc. I've tried 2 tps, 2 throttle bodies, new sensors, fuel pump, spark etc. Long story short probably shortest possibility but I want to try re-flashing the chip. My stepdad has a flasher he uses for pinballs but I need the file. Maybe it works maybe it doesn't but I read about two guys with similar problems that it worked for. Straight pipes and K&N so maybe makes a difference. I don't want to buy stock stuff in the event this could work. Or it could be none of the above I feel like I've put in so many hours just trying to get the thing right...oh the v92 pre-freedom.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I believe you just have to get a different chip. Now I could be wrong but from what I remember about the eprom chips, and aftermarket ones like I've used & still running, they are read only. The fuel control map is burned into them. Possibly they could be erased/rewritten but I'm pretty sure you can't flash a 2000SC.
I currently have a PMRT chip in my '99 with hc pistons & Andrews cams & it pulls strong.
Home

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used fuel controller FMC090 from wiseco and don't recommend it, though it allowed you to tweak a little, the ecu kept trying to compensate for it. a few other people had similar symptoms. In terms of the chip I have blanks, my stepdad said he could probably pull the old rom file but that doesn't help with another map. For context he restores pinball machines which use eeproms for everything so he designs boards and has all the equipment its just trying to find the rom. Kind of a weird request just want to give it a shot. I feel like I've gone through so many things and it's never right. I've take it to a vic only place with no luck so now I'm just spitballing. I'm out of work and tired of throwing money at it but as summer is wasting away I'd rather be ripping up the sticky blacktop.. and dodging NE potholes.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
There's one other consideration you might want to take into account.. the original EEPROM media was pretty low end. The replacement upgrade chips from TVS and LLOYDZ use a newer style prom that is much faster.. so response etc is MUCH better. I had an 01 V92C that we replaced the stock chip with an aftermarket 'offroad' chip and the difference was more than worth the 100 bucks or whatever it was.. bike idled better, throttle response was crisper and damn sure ran stronger.

In a previous life I had to cook chips like these for a living, at least part time. I know the quality of the prom itself is at least as important as the bin file you dump to it. There were various types of proms too, some were burn once and done.. others you could 'erase' by exposing a window on them to UV light.. they best ones could be flashed with voltage to clear and re-write. I have no idea which kind Vic used originally, but i do know the replacement chips for sale are rewritable, at least the ones I saw.

There's one other thing to consider. The ECU itself could be corroded or messed up. Rylan has a video where he shows the insides of the various ECU's on the old V92's and how to open them up and tweak them. You might want to consider calling him up.. I'll bet he has a graveyard of the old ECU boxes, he might be able to set you up with a better chip AND a new ECU/controller box... can't hurt to call him. He's seriously passionate about all things Vic and he's the undisputed expert on the V92 bikes.

Victory Motorcycle Performance & Service - The Vic Shop

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@kaitiff solid answer. No worries about corrosion, the insides scary clean-- like fresh of the factory floor. Not implying that it couldn't still have problems after 18 years. I looked into Rylan.. oh man if he wasn't about 1000 miles away I'd be at the shop awaiting his arrival. After kicking at this thing for years as just a general gearhead it's like he described all my frustration in 5 years in 5 minutes. This bike is my Carrie... every year it's a bit*h then at some point it's solid or well better for a day and I'm like I'm never letting you go. It acts up for weeks then as I'm finally like maybe it's time to move on maybe tease a little craigslist...boom runs like **** I swear kick it, ride a little, only talk about her at a distance but I know she hears me.

I got ahold of Dave at Psychomotive seems like cool dude. Hoping to test a map. My stepdad is awesome and has a scary amount of different chips around as old pinball boards are 100's of similar kinds. We were in the garage last night peeled the sticker back and he said he thinks I can pull the rom and maybe we can tweak it. I'm going to try and record a before and after if all goes well. Chance the chip wont be right or I'll just screw it up but I love to try. I think I was more happy to know that well Carrie might be pleased.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
@kaitiff solid answer. No worries about corrosion, the insides scary clean-- like fresh of the factory floor. Not implying that it couldn't still have problems after 18 years. I looked into Rylan.. oh man if he wasn't about 1000 miles away I'd be at the shop awaiting his arrival. After kicking at this thing for years as just a general gearhead it's like he described all my frustration in 5 years in 5 minutes. This bike is my Carrie... every year it's a bit*h then at some point it's solid or well better for a day and I'm like I'm never letting you go. It acts up for weeks then as I'm finally like maybe it's time to move on maybe tease a little craigslist...boom runs like **** I swear kick it, ride a little, only talk about her at a distance but I know she hears me.

I got ahold of Dave at Psychomotive seems like cool dude. Hoping to test a map. My stepdad is awesome and has a scary amount of different chips around as old pinball boards are 100's of similar kinds. We were in the garage last night peeled the sticker back and he said he thinks I can pull the rom and maybe we can tweak it. I'm going to try and record a before and after if all goes well. Chance the chip wont be right or I'll just screw it up but I love to try. I think I was more happy to know that well Carrie might be pleased.
Hey, if you got a chip reader and some chips I don't think it could really hurt anything to try. Even if it did I'd bet Rylan would have a box of old ECU's laying around he could sell you for yard sale prices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My thoughts exactly, I mean I break sh*t all the time anyway but I also got this sweat thing once at a yard sale..It was black and it had an upgraded transmission along with a little wire snipped above the casing.... All about the experiment. I'll update when I have more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.