VOG Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Take the throttle body off and give it a good cleaning in a dip tank. If you do a search over at TheVMC.com in the archives you should find a the part number for a new throttle body if needed. I bought mine from the local Chevy dealer for under $40 years ago.
The old bikes are very electrical sensitive. Make sure you don't have any LEDs without a load equalizer. Batteries require a slow trickle charge of about 9 hours. Check battery cables are tight. Check that ground wire has a good clean ground. Check fuses and relays. When working on the bike pull the headlight relay to save on your battery. I remember some owners had problems with a connector in the headlight bucket. Search the archives for all these and more.
Good luck. Buying a 10 year old bike with EFI has it's down sides. When my '99 wouldn't run one time it was a bad ECM covered under warranty but they aren't cheap and none are new now.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
When my ECM died, it was over a period of time. First the bike would just die while riding down the road (no error codes would come up). Pull over, turn the key off, wait 30 seconds and it would start and run for a while. Finally one day it died and never started. I had a loose battery cable give me trouble one day. On my '03 my bike would die when I hit a bump but restart on it's own. Mech found a bad battery cable that was cracked inside the double insulation on the battery end. He replaced and I never had another problem with that bike.
With the age of your bike, check your fuel lines. 2 years ago one of mine let go. I could replace all with EFI lines from NAPA except the 2 preformed ones coming off the tank. I got them from my dealer. They preshape the end to fit the fitting and a standard hose I couldn't get on the fitting to save my life.
Let us know how you make out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.