VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there new to site bought a 1999 v92c about two weeks ago.I purchaced it not running and after doing throttle body cleanout i noted front small port is blocked. I could not clear blockage but reassembled with new plugs and did throttle piont reset and did static reset. My problems seemed fixed for the most part i could ride it . it seemed to run rich clasic victory storybut only died on occasion and started up easily
then this morning no start not a cough. i check for spark and nothing, new plugs already black sooty. So i get new plugs and still no spark check to see voltage present at coil inlet 12v. Coils and crank timing sensor ohms readings are in normal range. re assemble and still no spark i have 2 batteries and both have 12.5v (only one on the bike at a time). i do notice it my rear plug boot doesnt click down but plug inserts to same depth. I have to say the ride even not running like it should was a blast. has anyone had simular issues any sugestions on how to remove throttle body obstructions.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Take the throttle body off and give it a good cleaning in a dip tank. If you do a search over at TheVMC.com in the archives you should find a the part number for a new throttle body if needed. I bought mine from the local Chevy dealer for under $40 years ago.
The old bikes are very electrical sensitive. Make sure you don't have any LEDs without a load equalizer. Batteries require a slow trickle charge of about 9 hours. Check battery cables are tight. Check that ground wire has a good clean ground. Check fuses and relays. When working on the bike pull the headlight relay to save on your battery. I remember some owners had problems with a connector in the headlight bucket. Search the archives for all these and more.
Good luck. Buying a 10 year old bike with EFI has it's down sides. When my '99 wouldn't run one time it was a bad ECM covered under warranty but they aren't cheap and none are new now.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the tips. i didnt know about the gm throttlebody but allready bought a used one off ebay about 60 bucks and it comes with a tps andlower rubbers so i guess i get a spare. When your ecm went doyou know if it lost spark?I just got my new tires and brake padsfrom online and was planing on a trip to dealer to get front forks overhaul.I have not made up my mind to change tires at dealer but if i put it in the shop id like to get it back ready to roll. i wish i could ride it to the shop. On a side note uhaul will not rent trailers to anyone with ford exploders but the mercury clones are ok.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
When my ECM died, it was over a period of time. First the bike would just die while riding down the road (no error codes would come up). Pull over, turn the key off, wait 30 seconds and it would start and run for a while. Finally one day it died and never started. I had a loose battery cable give me trouble one day. On my '03 my bike would die when I hit a bump but restart on it's own. Mech found a bad battery cable that was cracked inside the double insulation on the battery end. He replaced and I never had another problem with that bike.
With the age of your bike, check your fuel lines. 2 years ago one of mine let go. I could replace all with EFI lines from NAPA except the 2 preformed ones coming off the tank. I got them from my dealer. They preshape the end to fit the fitting and a standard hose I couldn't get on the fitting to save my life.
Let us know how you make out.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i decide to unplug ecm and remove it from the bike, take it to the pc and notice the waranty stickers broken, so i try to remove allen screws too see for myself if an obvious problem existsbut cannot too rusty. so i look for some online find one for $150 decide to try some caveman **** to the one i got. Plug it back in started right up even with tank off for a couple days so now i go to reassemble and hope the caveman trick is a long term fix. im sure wasnt just loose because i unpluged it a couple times when diagnosing. thanks for the inspiration to try again.

· Registered
3,209 Posts

beater99v92c said:
Rode around town and the bike runs great put a whole tank in and hope for the best. i love all the info available on these forums. kevinx01 has alot of great info on almost every subject i search for.
Victory....So simple even a caveman can fix it!!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not so much, on the second ride it died a couple times but started and had normal power. Today i took it to a bike shop not the dealership.I dont think i would have made it to dealership it died twice while trying to warm up then had to feather throttle to keep it alive. While riding to the shop arround the corner i was in first and trying to speed up but instead it got closer to death as i tried to accelerate, it died basically flooded it i guess. i got it to start back up after a minute and it limped the rest of the way then died upon arrival. The shop is going to do tires and brakes, they said they would look into the running issues. They say that an ecu works or doesnt not kinda works sometimes. According to what redryder says this is possible

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.