VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can see all the different features and prices on the websites. My question is the Utopia looks much wider. Does anyone have experience with a passenger complaining about leg/thigh rub or chafing?
If you own either, could you measure width and post it?
Thanks....

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have had both, the Utopia is curved and the Grass Hopper is straight.
The Utopia is much more comfortable and the post is sturdier,
Grasshopper is good if you are on a limited budget but Utopia is worth the money.
Didn't have to worry about the passenger, Cindy has her own bike ;)

Reactions: quack4du

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have used Grasshopper on my last 2 bikes. They are very comfortable to me.

·
Super Moderator
26,154 Posts
I have had a Utopia for several years now. It started on my 13 but went to my 08 after I bought a Mustang seat with backrest for the 13.

The Utopia is wide. Now as the user I really like that. It is very comfortable and offers great support. As a passenger my wife did mention it tucked her legs but never enough to become a bother to her where she didn't want to or couldn't ride. She's also short which may have added to her issue.

When I switched to the Mustang seat she says she's much more comfortable as the Mustang backrest is still curved but it's smaller and a oval shape. This allows her legs to rest without touching it.

If I had to do it over again I would still get the Utopia but I would spring for the quick disconnect option. That way I could just pull it off if it was bothering her and I didn't need it. The Mustang backrest does that.

If you're good with your stock seat the Utopia is hard to beat. If you're looking at a new seat I would recommend the Mustang. Just note it does not fit a Vision in the Street configuration.

Mustang Motorcycle Touring 1-Piece Heated Seat And Backrest Victory Black 79723 | eBay

A thread on my Mustang.
http://www.thevog.net/threads/mustang-tour-seat.104913/

I have seen many people here happy with the Grasshopper but I have also seen it complained about as not being the strongest rest at there. Seems that bigger guys it guys that put allot of pressure on them end up bending them.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I also have the grass-hopper and like it, 10" w x 71/2" tall. I have never used an Utopia backrest so I cannot comment on them, but I got the G-Hopper because I could easily remove it for when the wife rides.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
I have a Utopia on my 08. It's 12" wide and 9" tall , making it 16" from the base of the seat in its lowest setting.

It folds forward to ease on and off of passenger.

My wife would complain about it. My daughter didn't mind it as it helped to keep her from sliding forward on the seat . Made her secure enough to fall asleep .

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Utopia on my 08. It's 12" wide and 9" tall , making it 16" from the base of the seat in its lowest setting.

It folds forward to ease on and off of passenger.

My wife would complain about it. My daughter didn't mind it as it helped to keep her from sliding forward on the seat . Made her secure enough to fall asleep .
Thanks for the specific dimensions and passenger insight.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I have a Grasshopper on my KPT and it was a lifesaver.. I had bad back problems and w/out it I couldn't ride much.. with it on the bike my ass gave out before my back did. It's not elegant like the much more expensive designs, but it does exactly what it's supposed to and the easy off/on feature is the bomb.. my wife didn't have enough room behind me when it was on the bike, but it popped off and fit in my trunk in literal seconds.

I do have problems with it 'bending' sometimes.. but that's generally when I forget to push down on it every now and then. If it pulls up and out a bit then the metal tongue is much easier to bend a bit if you really kick back in it. The upside is that it's just as easy to bend back into place. I don't mean to make it sound flimsy because it's not. I weigh 280 lbs and I'm 6'2" tall.. if I wanna twist something out of shape.. it generally gets twisted. :)

I have a 2014 XC now as well and It doesn't have a backrest.. the addition of a Grasshopper is a definite yes to my list of accessories I plan to buy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
"If you're looking at a new seat I would recommend the Mustang. Just note it does not fit a Vision in the Street configuration."

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "Street configuration" mean?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
"If you're looking at a new seat I would recommend the Mustang. Just note it does not fit a Vision in the Street configuration."

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "Street configuration" mean?
Welcome aboard. It's a Vision with the trunk taken off and a street/trunk panel (cover) installed.

·
Registered
838 Posts
[QUOTE="quack4du, post: 2951129, member: 88369" ]#threadhijacked [/QUOTE]

Don't be discouraged if you start a thread and it actually does get hijacked, it happens now and then but always comes back around to the original subject.

Now, what was the question again :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently installed the Utopia backrest. I couldn't be happier with it. Besides being extremely comfortable and top notch quality, I love the ability to adjust it. Yesterday, while riding, I simply reached around and adjusted the fore-aft adjustment screw to fine tune the backrest position. I feel like it is dialed in now. It is also good to know that I can easily make adjustments on long rides to change my riding position. I would have to say that this was some of the best money I have spent on the Vision so far. Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought we were discussing how one backrest or the other affected the torque?!?
I dont see it alone (Utopia vs. Grasshopper) as affecting torque, unless you concoct your own blend of the two rests like oil. From there the sky is the limit on possibilities.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry. Did not mean to hijack the thread. I am interested in the best backrest options for the Vision and appreciate the info on the Utopia.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry. Did not mean to hijack the thread. I am interested in the best backrest options for the Vision and appreciate the info on the Utopia.
All good. Truth be told, when a post expands, so does the knowledge base. Good luck on your choice. I'm still sitting on the fence.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.