VOG Forum banner

Utah lane filtering now legal

657 12
I performed a quick search to see if this subject had been brought up on the forum. As of the 14th of April, filtering is legal in the state of Utah.
Very different from lane splitting in California, riders are allowed to slip between 2 lanes of traffic, traveling in the same direction, that are stopped at an intersection. This is only legal on roads with a posted speed limit of 45 mph or less, and the rider cannot exceed 15 miles per hour while filtering.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Just need the rest of the states to follow suit!

·
Premium Member
14,397 Posts
I can see the headlines now...CAGER ROAD RAGE VS MOTORCYCLIST :22yikes:

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I can see the headlines now...CAGER ROAD RAGE VS MOTORCYCLIST :22yikes:
It's a common practice in Europe but whether it's legal or not here in North America, I would bet the general attitude of the cage driver would be against it. Each to their own.

·
Registered
875 Posts
riders are allowed to slip between 2 lanes of traffic, traveling in the same direction, that are stopped at an intersection
Way different from California. Similarities but way different. There are no intersections on freeways, although the traffic stops regularly for various, or no apparent reason. The rule is you shouldn't split lanes (filter) if traffic is going faster than 45 and you shouldn't go any more than 5mph faster than the moving vehicle. (Generally speaking).

I do get and understand that there are drivers that don't like it. I also get, and completely understand, that there are aggressive riders out there that do things that not only make a driver mad or startle them, but is dangerous for themselves and others around them. I have been splitting/filtering here in Taxifornia for decades. If you're generally just moving through traffic it's getting more common that folks move a little to let you through. When they do move, I always give them an appreciative hand signal. It's getting more and more accepted every year.

To each their own. If someone isn't comfortable in that situation, then so be it. I find it offensive when other riders claim that those that split lanes are looking for trouble. I also find it offensive when riders who do split lanes do things that are arrogant and hazardous. We are all responsible to ourselves and in order to gain respect, we should show it as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don’t get it and here’s why. I’m not psychic So I cannot predict when not if a car will suddenly turn into me. Open their door for no apparent reason. Stick their arm or throw trash out their window. Some do it by mistake. I fear most do it on purpose.
I also think that 5mph above or below the speed travel is more the fine regardless if you choose to lane split or not. Remember stupid has in the blink of an eye. I drive a truck all day and after a 10 hour day going 5mph above the limit saves me about 15 minutes all day. I decided a long time ago it just wasn’t worth it.
So legal or not it causes a pucker factor of 9 for me maybe not for most
Besides if you have to lane split. Just leave earlier. After all it’s the ride we enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
I have mixed feelings about lane spitting. I like the idea, basically because of being a motorcyclist. I dislike the idea because cagers just don't understand and can intentionally make a bad thing happen.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
It’s not about saving time (as much) it’s about saving lives. For starters here’s why I think Utah does sound very much like California: it’s the exact same thing only in California they allow for even more safety by adding something extra that Utah does not. So here’s the proof: a study was done comparing motorcycle accidents and fatalities in three heavily populated states with warm climates for year round riding. These three were chosen to eliminate variables inherent to smaller populated states with winters and non year round riding. The three states were FL, TX, and CA. And what they found was 30% fewer motorcyclists killed on California roads. Why? Because the bikes were not in the spaces where cars crash into them. If you’re going 15-20 mph IN a lane of stop and go traffic then you are in a prime location to be rear ended. If you get in between lanes and go 5 mph faster than the car that would rear end you will never be in a position to do so. If you get off the freeway and approach an intersection IN a lane the the car approaching you from the rear can smash into you shoving you into the car in front of you or if you’re first in line into cross moving traffic. Ouch. If you get inbetween lanes and filter to the front, you’re not occupying a space that said car will smash into you.
Drivers in California and all over the world have figured it out, the rest of America can too. I realize we got a lot of stupid people in America who just can’t stand the idea of someone else getting a decent law and freedom that doesn’t benefit them and will get all pissy and try and throw garbage out the window or open their door to try and kill their fellow citizen. And sooner or later they will get punched in the face or arrested for attempted murder. I can predict when a car will try and do something stupid, because I always assume they will. So when they do, prediction came true. It keeps me alive. Legal lane splitting would certainly help. Reduce my chances by 30% anyway.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It's not about saving time (as much) it's about saving lives. For starters here's why I think Utah does sound very much like California: it's the exact same thing only in California they allow for even more safety by adding something extra that Utah does not. So here's the proof: a study was done comparing motorcycle accidents and fatalities in three heavily populated states with warm climates for year round riding. These three were chosen to eliminate variables inherent to smaller populated states with winters and non year round riding. The three states were FL, TX, and CA. And what they found was 30% fewer motorcyclists killed on California roads. Why? Because the bikes were not in the spaces where cars crash into them. If you're going 15-20 mph IN a lane of stop and go traffic then you are in a prime location to be rear ended. If you get in between lanes and go 5 mph faster than the car that would rear end you will never be in a position to do so. If you get off the freeway and approach an intersection IN a lane the the car approaching you from the rear can smash into you shoving you into the car in front of you or if you're first in line into cross moving traffic. Ouch. If you get inbetween lanes and filter to the front, you're not occupying a space that said car will smash into you.
Drivers in California and all over the world have figured it out, the rest of America can too. I realize we got a lot of stupid people in America who just can't stand the idea of someone else getting a decent law and freedom that doesn't benefit them and will get all pissy and try and throw garbage out the window or open their door to try and kill their fellow citizen. And sooner or later they will get punched in the face or arrested for attempted murder. I can predict when a car will try and do something stupid, because I always assume they will. So when they do, prediction came true. It keeps me alive. Legal lane splitting would certainly help. Reduce my chances by 30% anyway.
Right on! Having seen how well it works in Europe and doing it myself for 3 1/2 years in and out of London, I could not agree more. As to the concern of cages turning in to you, I learned early on that you constantly watch the front wheels and drivers hands, where possible. Where those wheels go, so goes the cage and it doesn't make any difference if your threading or not. When cages are going slow or stopped, it is quite easy to catch the intentions of the driver by the front wheels orientation. Make it a habit, especially while threading traffic.
Let me add that threading saved me 20-45 minutes commute time in London.
Ride safe, Jim

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
The issue I have with motorcyclists against lane splitting / filtering is that it is difficult enough to get these laws passed without those that it would benefit being against it. The fact that I am for legal lane splitting to be passed in all 50 states has absolutely no effect on riders that are against it. If they don’t want to lane split and would rather sit in traffic waiting to be rear ended, they are still free to do so.

But the fact that we can’t get these laws passed due to so many riders (and non-riders) being against it does effect those of us who would rather not roll the dice every time we are in traffic, waiting to see if the car behind us is going to stop or not.

Freedom is a word thrown around by bikers a lot. It’s really a shame that so many fellow bikers would want to help keep riding in the USA more restrictive than just about every other country around the world because they don’t want to lane split, or they are afraid some idiot on the road might do something stupid and illegal. Have you been on the road lately? I seriously doubt that legal lane splitting is going to have any effect on what the idiots out there do.

Road rage exist with or without lane splitting. If lane splitting is legalized, I doubt it will have any effect on the frequency of those issues. If lane splitting was legal in all states, it would become more excepted quicker vs one state legalizing it every few years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.