VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on FaceBook group and got mixed answers. I'm wiring some LEDs on my 2017 XC. To keep things simple I want to tap into the ground wire on my auxiliary power outlet in the fairing. Does anyone know of any issues with doing this?

My idea for wiring is as follows: Ground from LED controller box to cigarette light ground. Hot from the controller box to a auxiliary switch I installed in the dash. Other side of the switch direct to positive side of the battery (so I have to flip the switch to turn on LEDs).

No symbols as far as instructions for the LED controller box goes, just a note that says it should be hooked to the negative terminal of the battery.

Any straight answers are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Any ground wire should be fine to tap into. For AUX lights, I tap into the battery ground and run a relay from the battery +12v to a switch on the dash. You can also tie it into any chassis ground just as easily and wouldn't require cutting, splicing or tapping an existing wire.

Reactions: Lunchbox_USMC

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I have some posi-tap connectors, so coming right off the box which I'm mounting in the fairing to the cigarette lighter just happens to be the shortest and easiest route for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wasn't planning on since it's only LED's, so very low load, but not a bad thought now that you mention it. Only one splice, and that's at the ground. I've had good luck with the posi-tap connectors.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Why not just ground them to the frame or the motor?

Also, install a fuse! It is not about the draw of the LEDs. It is about what happens when a wire shorts out and more amps than the wires can handle starts traveling thru them causing heat, melting, and possible fire. The fuse will break the circuit if that happens. Think of it as your insurance policy that keeps your bike from catching fire!

My recommendation would be to install a small fuse box that you can use for your LEDs and any future accessories. It makes your installs a lot easier too.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's a good idea to wire the hot side to switched power so when you turn the bike off everything stops. You'll never have to worry about leaving them on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.