VOG Forum banner

USB Device charging plugs

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  walks35 
#1 ·
Two prong question:

1) I have the accessory receptacle built into the console of my 2014 CC. Having a strange experience with this. I bought a dual USB adapter that seems to work pretty well charging my Android and at higher than normal rate, A-OK, I thought. Then after a long hot ride with the phone plugged in, I noticed the phone had not taken a charge at all and my phone screen said, "slow charging". Now, days later, the bike is sitting in the garage all cooled down, the charger works great again. The question here is does the heat of the day negatively effect these charging devices or is there something wrong with my bike?

2) Second oddity is, after the above experience, I decided to buy a higher speed USB plug, bought a Hypergear 3.4a plug. When I tried it in my "Car" it worked lightning fast, so I was anticipating good results on the Vic CC. I plugged the Hypergear adapter into the bike and the little blue LED in the adapter wouldn't even so much as light up and it delivered no power. So I put it in my Car again and it lights up, works great. I put the dual adapter mention in comment #1 above back in the cool bike and it worked great. hmmm puzzling.

Is there something wrong with my bike? Are some adapters just not made to fit the victory accessory receptacle? ...or is it just me?

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Phones have a built in safely that stops charging and sometimes other functions if the device gets is overheated.

2. The bike may not be delivering enough juice to the adapter to work properly. Depending on what you're charging the device may not like a rapid charge at a higher rate.

Reactions: stormy425
#5 ·
1. Phones have a built in safely that stops charging and sometimes other functions if the device gets is overheated.

2. The bike may not be delivering enough juice to the adapter to work properly. Depending on what you're charging the device may not like a rapid charge at a higher rate.
I may have to break out my volt-o-meter to see what kind of current that socket is delivering. You may be on to something. Thanks.

#3 ·
Regarding the slow charging on a long hot ride, I concur with VVB. If the phone was hot, it might have throttled the charge rate to reduce further heating.

Regarding your USB charger on the bike, are you 100% sure it was wired properly? Sorry, but I work in IT so I have to ask all of the questions. I use one of these on my XCT (replaced the cig lighter plug):

12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Dual USB Charger Power Adapter Outlet | eBay

#4 ·
Regarding the slow charging on a long hot ride, I concur with VVB. If the phone was hot, it might have throttled the charge rate to reduce further heating.

Regarding your USB charger on the bike, are you 100% sure it was wired properly? Sorry, but I work in IT so I have to ask all of the questions. I use one of these on my XCT (replaced the cig lighter plug):

12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Dual USB Charger Power Adapter Outlet | eBay
The heat may be the reason that the charging was throttled down. As far as proper wiring, I am making the assumption (possibly erroneous) that since the socket was part of the stock assembly from Victory, that they did it correctly. LOL. God knows. It was strange that one charger plug lit up and the other did not and yet they both work ok in the car cig lighter socket. I was wondering if the new high speed adapters are fussy about they style of receptical.

#6 · (Edited)
If I recall correctly, the plugs were weird; I cut them off and used my own spade plugs (after verifying + and - leads).

#7 ·
If I understand correctly, you have two USB ports on the power adapter. You might want to look closely at the specs for that adapter. Some of them have one USB port that is 2.1A and the other is 1A. The one broggy provided a link to says it's "5V/4.2A(2.1A+2.1A)" so both USB ports are 2.1A.

#8 ·
I didn't realize the one to which broggy provided a link is a replacement of the port on the bike. I have a dual plug-in one that is 2.1A on both ports. I got it from a Pilot gas station while traveling. I use it to run my GPS and it has always worked well.

#9 ·
I linked to something similar, not the exact one (mine doesn't light up except for a status LED) but I have dual 2.1A ports. They both work fine. If the thing is wired backwards, tho, it won't work at all.

#12 · (Edited)
My phone does the same even in the car with the AC on when I'm running GPS and streaming tunes. Closing any apps still running in the background helps. But add a 90 degree day on a ride and that little medical symbol pops up almost every time.

Also I stopped using those cheap ass Dollar store cables. I found that out the hard way. They work reasonably in the house to charge overnight but not when using GPS and or streaming tunes when riding. My battery was draining faster than it could charge.

#13 ·
Thanks walks35 -- Any Specs on the correct cord to buy for the bike? The same thing I complained about last week happened again this Sunday. Phone charges just fine when it and the bike are cool in the garage. And then after running for several hours in 90 deg heat, I couldn't charge either my phone or my Wife's. A proper cord is one thing I know I need to do for good measure. Secondly, I am going to upgrade the socket on the dash to SPADE.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.