US workers go on strike in 15 cities to demand $15-an-hour minimum wage | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

US workers go on strike in 15 cities to demand $15-an-hour minimum wage

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Texasbaehr, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    Go on strike and just lose your minimum wage job to technology and automation.
    McDonalds already has order kiosks in many locations to place your order and pay. Soon they will need a man and a dog in each restaurant, the man to monitor the automated equipment and the dog to bite him if he touches anything.

US workers go on strike in 15 cities to demand $15-an-hour minimum wage — The Guardian

more people on government unemployment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. WHITE_VIC

WHITE_VIC Well-Known Member

Victory cross country
    What happens when your job gets automated? And then your neighbor, then your spouse, and then your friends? Wages haven't kept up with inflation. I'm guessing this is in big cities where rent and housing prices have gone through the roof while wages haven't.

• Like Like x 4
  3. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Since the inception of the minimum wage it has been raised over thirty times. EVERY time the naysayers bought what someone was selling hook line and sinker and claimed raising it would cause all kinds of ruin. It never has. Not once, ever. What has happened was wages rising for all those making just above the minimum too, people getting off welfare, people becoming self sustainable. Since the mid 1970’s total earnings for the top have risen over 900%, adjusted for inflation. Adjusting for the same inflation the middle class is making less now than we were 40 years ago. Raise the fuk out of it. Raise the fuk out of it now.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT
    "I expect $15 dollars an hour!" "I expect free college tuition" "I expect affordable housing" When one doesn't understand how the free market works this is how they sound!

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Jasperboy

Jasperboy Well-Known Member

2011 Victory Vision Tour, 2015 Victory Gunner
    Want $15 hour wage, get a $15 hour skill.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. WHITE_VIC

WHITE_VIC Well-Known Member

Victory cross country
    I'm guessing we are going to have a bunch of boomers on here against this, even though when they were younger, they had better purchasing power, meaning their money went farther. Sure, their first claim will be they made like $1.75 or whatever minimum wage was back then. They'll go "see" we didn't make anything back then. But what they don't talk about was the number of hours it took for them at minimum wage to afford rent, housing, or school. The number of hours is a lot lower back then then compared today.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    Being in the tech field, my sole purpose is to find a solution that will eliminate my job.

Seriously, stop laughing it is. Automation isn't the end of things it's just the start of something else.

On a very cool note, my grandchildren are now being taught how to write in cursive. I told my 8 year old grandson his daddy writes like a chimp with a bad itch and doesn't know what side on an envelope to put a stamp on.

Ride safe, stay safe.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    As a boomer but certainly not speaking for all the old farts out there, the minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage. It was intended to be a fair starting wage for people entering the workforce.

Yes, there are inequalities. No argument there. But it certainly was not intended to support a family let alone an individual into adulthood.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Texasbaehr

Minimum wage was Never intended to be a living wage. Minimum wage jobs were a way to get youth some job experience. “Would you like fries with that” should not earn the same as a first year public school teacher.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Texasbaehr

Show me any time in history when minimum wage was doubled.
    the minimum has never doubled like they are proposing now since it’s inception in 1938. It was never intended to be a living wage. After the 1991 FLSA amendment and increase to $4.25/hr, it was intended to be for under 20 yr olds for the first three months of employment. Which was intended to get high school and early college age workers job experience over the summer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    When they get $15 an hour business cost will rise and then so will prices. There goes your raise. Oh, and since people like me won't be getting one my money will not go as far as I'm now paying more with the same. So they get a raise which gets eaten into and others effectively make less by having to pay more.

What then? $20 a hour?

I know if it's $15 across the board for all jobs I will no longer be tipping waitresses, waiters, and such. I think I would rather get several $5-10 dollar tips an hour than make $15 a hour, but maybe that's just me.

When I started working it was minimum wage at just over $5 bucks an hour. I did a good job and when I wanted to buy a vehicle I found I needed a bit more income. I set up a meeting with the boss and simply asked for a .25 cent raise. He thought about it and spoke to the managers. It was determined that I had taken it upon myself to learn more than what I was hired for and he gave me .50 cents a hour more. I kept working hard and before I knew it I was making a couple dollars above minimum wage.

Problem is I think many expect something for nothing. If you only know how to drop fries why should you get $15 a hour? Learn that position and all others and see if you don't end up making more money and maybe even become a manager. Make yourself valuable and you will get paid. If that job doesn't then take the skills elsewhere.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. benawhati

benawhati Active Member

2017 Vic Gunner/2011 VIc XC "Tour"
    Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme.....

In all seriousness tho,

anyone wanna take bets how long it takes for this to become straight politics and the thread gets locked?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    It has doubled numerous times over the course of a few years, not that different from many proposals as of late. Nobody said it’s supposed to be a living wage. 15 an hour is 30k a year GROSS....IF you get 40 hours. Most minimum wage jobs are p/t so gross closer to 20-25k. Which makes take home pay around 18. 1500 a month is not a liveable wage, it’s minimum. Raise the fuk out of it, now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Alwhite00

Alwhite00 Active Member

Victory
    I take it you make minimum wage. Like was said. It's a minimum it's not to support a family of 4. I started out at minimum wage out of school and it was funny, I realized that if I tried to advance myself I made more money. Crazy, I know....

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  15. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    You take it wrong. What I am is one of the 53% of American workers that pays federal income taxes. And I’m tired of my taxes being used to subsidize Walmart’s payroll. But yeah, deeper thinking like that is crazy to most people these days.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3